“Nice hotel, but very rude staff.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Centerville
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

If there is one thing I can't stand, it is bad customer service. I recently stayed at this hotel with a school group, and I have never been treated so rudely by staff at a hotel. I will never return to this hotel, even though we have a yearly event in the area. I would rather travel further.

• Stayed: November 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Vp4music,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review. I am happy to know that you found our room accommodations and location fit for your needs. I deeply apologize for the issues you encountered with the staff. I will address your comments with our staff so that they can further improve on their efforts.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I first visited this hotel was about three years ago when I attended my grandfather's funeral. At the time, I didn't pay a ton of attention to details but I did remember that I liked this hotel very much. So here it is three years later and I had to attend my grandmother's funeral, I knew right away where to go.

This HIE is tucked in the back of a shopping center just off I-675. There are many restaurants (Tim Horton's is closest) and retail stores (Kohl's) located nearby, if you want to go shopping. It's a small property but I think that adds to its appeal because it doesn't feel impersonal or sprawling as some chain hotels do.

Check-in was very easy and the person at the front desk was very kind about our situation. My Mom and I left to go have dinner with my aunt so it was later in the evening when I had a chance to actually see the room. I had requested a room on an upper floor far from the elevator. And that is exactly what we got! We didn't hear anything all night or the next morning. The room was great, very nice beds with a variety of pillow types (soft to firm).

What I really liked was the VERY clean bathroom. I have a pet peeve about bathrooms being cleaned poorly but I didn't have to worry this time at all. Nice big flat screen TV, too.

The next morning we were running a bit behind. As we left our room, we saw the maids' carts in the hall. They must have been cleaning very quietly because we didn't hear any loud chatter. I have often stayed at hotels where the cleaning staff were shouting across the hall to each other while straightening up the rooms. I appreciated that the cleaning staff respects the guests' peace and quiet (especially in the morning when some of us need a little more sleep).

We missed the breakfast period by about 20 minutes. However, after checking out, my mother went into the breakfast room to get some coffee (which is available 24/7). We discovered the food was still there, nice and hot. We scooped up two delicious cinnamon rolls, got some juice and sat down. When the very sweet young lady came in to start putting things away, we apologized for eating outside the regular service time. She assured us it was okay, to take our time and asked if there was anything else she could get for us. We really appreciated that because at other hotels we have stayed at, all they seem to want to do is get you out of there as fast as possible so they can clean up the area.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Maybe someday I can stay there when I am simply visiting family and not attending a funeral. That would be great!

Room Tip: If you want a room on an upper floor or away from the elevator, just request it when you make your r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Josh R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Peachyswan,

I can't thank you enough for all your kind words. I will be sure to pass on all of your wonderful compliments to the staff as well. I also truly hope that you can pay us a visit under lighter circumstances someday. I send my condolences to you and your family. Thank you so much once again!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'm back. The service and rooms are good as usual. It's really a nice hotel with a good hot tub, which after driving here from Pittsburgh is a really nice feature. If you are a priority club member, make sure you ask for the check-in item, they usually give a free soda or water from the store. The beds and pillows are nice and fluffy.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear cavychaueffer,

Thank you so much for another great review! We look forward to seeing you again someday!!

Take Care,

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for two days and loved it. This is one of the newer and great HIE's and everything was perfect. Check-in was quick and efficient, everything was clean and fresh, beautiful decor, and the rooms were wonderful with granite counter-tops, large flat screen tv, refrig, and fairly large. The staff was friendly and efficient- and the hotel was quiet.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Dayton area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Josh R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Golfer010_11,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The issues began with not even arriving at the hotel. I had a feeling that I should call while driving to check my reservation. Good thin I did as they had me arriving a day later and staying a day later then what I asked for. Upon arriving, I was not granted the group rate that I signed up for. The room I was given was a handicap room. I am a person who is 6'3", you can imagine that the things in the room were not meant for me. The overall room was tiny. Breakfast was the same tasteless breakfast everyday. No alcohol was allowed in the rooms, and they do not have a bar.
On the day that I was leaving, I packed up most of my belongings and left a few things in my room to pack into my car, one of which was my computer. I was packing my car at 0930 and check out was 1200. After putting most of my belongings into my car, I returned to my room to find the door open. Be mindful of the fact that I had the DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door. The housekeeper was in there and asked if I was looking for my computer and that she had taken it up to the front desk. I replied I would not be looking for it of she could read and proceeded to the front desk. They thought I had left but I was clearly just loading my car which could be seen from the front desk. Overall, due to the lack of privacy from the staff, overall rudeness, lack of applying group rates; one could say my experience at this Holiday Inn was absolutely horrible. Marriott will now be the only hotel chain that I will give my business too. Thank you holiday inn for nothing but a headache.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank J007conks
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear J007conks,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very friendly and efficient check in and clean property and room. Like most hotels of this size, they had many rooms still not ready by 2, even though Saturday check ins are obviously coming for local events. Breakfast room was too small for size of hotel. BUT, I would stay again and again due to the cleanliness and value.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor, although walls were fine, you could here people and kids in upstairs hall
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Josh R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear JimJPC,

Thank you so much for your feedback. As you mentioned we do have many events in the area on weekends and many of our guests arrive before our 4pm check in time. On your next visit if you need an early check in, just phone ahead the night before and we will be sure to have a room prepared for you as soon as possible. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I hop to see you back again soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Very clean and comfortable room. Great front desk workers. Would stay there again if in the area. The dining area was full on Sunday morning. But the guy working the breakfast area was great.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Shalloh60,

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us! I am delighted to hear that your experience was enjoyable, especially the staff! Come back and see us again soon.

Josh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Centerville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton South
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Dayton South, OH
5 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dayton South
Hilton Garden Inn Dayton Beavercreek
Marriott at the University of Dayton
SpringHill Suites Dayton Beavercreek

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton-Centerville? Share your experiences!