“Entirely uninterested in guest satisfaction”

Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed October 18, 2012

On arrival, I found our room had a Queen bed rather than a King as we had reserved. I telephoned the front desk to let them know and see if a switch would be possible. This was not possible, however, rather than apologize for this disappointment and attempt to make things right in some way, the young man that I spoke with simply proffered an excuse that another guest had "overstayed" and as a result the rooms had been changed. He didn't say, "tough luck," but he might as well have for the complete lack of empathy he showed. I found his attitude unprofessional and felt very unwelcome.

I can certainly understand rooms becoming unavailable. It was their eagerness to blame guests for problems and unwillingness to take responsibility for their own establishment that was so unsatisfactory. Emails to management (****reed@snbhotels.com on Sep 28, and ***OH440@choicehotels.com Oct 3) and a comment on the choicehotels web form have gone unanswered. There was a card in our room explaining this hotel's Commitment to Satisfaction, and how we ought to bring anything wrong to their attention promptly, so they could correct it. I did, three times, and their staff showed an utter lack of interest in our satisfaction.

Housekeeping was attentive, and furnishings were serviceable. Breakfast was sub-par, with watery powdered eggs and slimy thin bacon. I won't be staying in a Choice/Comfort property again. I'll go back to Marriott or Hilton, where the service is pleasant and my business is welcomed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank undertheliveoak
Jim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your needs on the type of bed you wanted. We do have guests that extend their stays at the last minute and bed types become unavailable. This does not excuse us from getting you a proper response soner. I am sure we could have handled this better and will strive to do so in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked a Queen room with my employee rate for the night of September 29th 2012. I booked my boyfriend and i a room to come for the canton classic tattoo convention, We booked a queen room because he is over 6'5" tall and we need a bigger bed then the standard double and my rate didn't cover a king room. Well i called the day before and asked for a smoking room if possible and the girl at the desk said it was no problem, she asked if two doubles were ok...I said NO nothing under a queen due to his height, she told me that was no problem she would have a smoking room available.....well when we got there we had been moved in a double room. I told the girl at the desk and she said that i couldn't have a queen room with my employee rate. i told her that is what i booked on the internet and she said that it was a mistake....needless to say my romantic weekend with my boyfriend while our son was at his grandparents was ruined by us having to sleep in seperate beds.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry we put a preference to smoking vs non-smoking room type for your stay ahead of the bed type preferences. I will be reviewing the bed types available for the rate plan you booked and seeing what options I can come up with to address this. We strive to exceed expectations and we fell short for you. We will continue to improve and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great location, pleasent and helpful staff particularly Jim at check in and the young girl at breakfast. Good value for money with discount voucher which was honoured without question despite the hotel being busy. Had a great hot breakfast to start the day including crispy bacon. Room on the second floor was clean and tidy and all the furniture was in good repair.

Room Tip: Second floor at the back of the hotel is good. Lovely sunset from here
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been here many times, but I think my most recent stay will be my last.

You know how you walk into a hotel room and it just seems dank and musty. That's what I found. The upholstered furniture was dirty and stained, you really didn't even want to sit on it.

The bedding was also stained and there was one nightstand. I used the ironing board as a makeshift nightstand to put my phone and glasses on. The ironing board cover was stained as well, complementing the rest of the decor.

The most serious issue was the security. My room was at the end of the hall near an exterior door that didn't shut securely. Even when I pulled on it from the inside, it wouldn't latch.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Jim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for your posting about your stay with us at the Comfort Inn. If you have time I would like to speak with you directly to address the problems with your stay from June. I take issues of safety and security personally and want to resolve them. We have a preventative maintentance program to address issues in our rooms regarding safety and security as well as cleanliness and I will follow up on your input to make sure your future stays are considerably better than your previous stay in June.

330-492-1331

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Was only here one night. Hotel was easy to find once I exited highway. I will agree with other posters that some of the furniture was a bit worn. Bed was comfy but the pillows, while multiple, were a bit small. When I moved the foot rest I found a crumpled up tissue that was apparently there from before my stay. Staff was polite. Breakfast was hot the waffle maker was a nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments and input. I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast and the waffles. I have addressed the issue of a tissue under the foot rest with our entire housekeeping staff. I have also spoken with our maintentance staff about deep cleaning all furniture in the guest rooms. I hope that your next stay here in Canton is with us and that we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had to stay at this hotel twice, a couple of weeks apart. My first room was clean, but the furniture was dirty ans ripped (the arms of the armchair were all torn). There were other things either slightly broken or cracked. I had a room on the first floor and it had a certain smell to it, almost like a basement, as if it was very damp.

The second room was on the second floor and didn't smell. The arms of the chair were still torn though. It was an improvement overall.

The staff is friendly, especially the young girl that serves breakfast. The breakfast in it of itself was good, but the breakfast area was small. I had to wait a few minutes each morning (along with other guests) in order to find a seat.

Overall I give it a 2 star, 3 because of the staff.

Room Tip: Based on my experience, a room not on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Jim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for your comments. As we strive to provide quality stays it is important to know where our efforts need to be focused. I am pleased our staff took good care of you regarding service and we are refocusing on condition of furnishings to make your fuure stays better.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I along with our two dogs had a 3 night reservation to this hotel and were looking forward to a great weekend at the FHOF. We drove from Philly to Ohio Friday night and arrived Sat morn at 0430 a.m; tired and ready for some R&R. We came into a hotel where the front clerk looked so miserable,I couldn't get a smile from her even if i paid a million$$. We walked into a room with the worst odor of animal urine a horribe smell. The rugs were completely stained as if animals were doing their business in the room. The chair and ottoman were ridiculously stained and stunk like (you guessed it) animal urine. I started feeling itchy and the dogs even looked uncomforably. I noticed my dog following something on the floor and long and behold it was a bug. I picked up the phone to call the front desk and the PHONE was sticky and smelled. I explained my situation to the front desk K.Green and was told, "Well Ma'am it is a pet friendly room". REALLY, I was appauld she would even make such a ignorant ridiculous comment. I told her, 'What does that matter, I have two dogs and my house surely doesn't smell or look like this". I went on to explain to her how I couldn;t even sit on the bed because the whole room is disgusting. I told her I did not even have my ear on the receiver because it was disgusting. I explained to her how the room was not fit for any guest and it needed to be completely revamped. She did accomodate us with another room that was ( I guess you can call it an upgrade) it had a microwave and refrig and guess what, it didn't smell like animal urine and was much more suitable. Hey I guess they do have pet-friendly rooms that do not smell like urine they just decided to disrespect me and my family by trying to place us in filth! My hopes are that they revamp ROOM 102.I could have complained to the manager about the piece of silver/white hair I found in the muffin my husband found when he picked up food from their Free Breakfast, but I didn't.

Room Tip: Have a good look at the room before you take all your belongings in the room.It will save you the ha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Please accept my apologies for the service and problems you encountered during your stay. I have taken the room off market so that other travelers do not experience the same issues. I have spoken with the desk associate about her responses and attitude as this is not what is expected from our staff. I hope your future travel if in our area will give you a chance to see what changes we have been able to put into place.