“Couldn't pay me to stay here ever again..”

McKinley Grand Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed October 17, 2013

As usual, I used Priceline and sought out a place to stay that fit into our travels. This trip took us through Canton, Oh for the night and I didn't want anything under a 3 star hotel. Priceline has never let me down before. After selecting from 4 zones, I was placed in the McKinley Grand Hotel. As a huge football fan, I was excited to hear in someones reviews that some of the inductees have stayed here before their induction into the Hall of Fame.. I respectfully say [--] to that review. This place is the worst hotel I have possibly ever stayed. It is miles away from the Hall of Fame or any of the other hotels in the area and placed right in the middle of the city. A part of the city that was dirty and included more than a handful of odd drunks and other people talking to themselves as they sat in front of the front doors of the hotel. Besides a parking garage across the street with few lights, the hotel recommended we just park on the side streets and come down by 8am to put coins in the meters as to avoid getting a ticket?? Really??
On this Sunday, It was 60 degrees outside. In the lobby, it was about 55. Not kidding. We couldn't believe it. Not only was the gentleman at the front desk unshaven and unkept, but I had to wait for him to get off his cell phone before he could check me in. When I had asked if there was any sports bars in the area to catch the evenings Sunday night football game, he wouldn't give me any advice besides the 55 degree lobby bar with a 15 year old, bad picture tube television. Thanks. The only other two times I was in the lobby, there was my check-in guy being yelled at by 2 other guests for what ever reason. On a night that the city seemed like a ghost town and the hotel occupancy was probably 15-20, we were put on the 6th floor at the faaaaarthest end of the hall way in a room that was dark and dirty and smelly. The carpets were dingy and the bed sheets looked unclean. The television couldn't get a clear picture on most channels and there was no channel guide. Just an HBO movie guide that looked like it had been used as a coaster for the last 2 weeks by other guests. The shower pressure was poor as well. The ONLY good thing about our room was that I could see my car from our room...sitting in the street...with odd people walking around it....talking to themselves.. I could NOT have gotten out of that hotel soon enough. Or Canton for that matter. This hotel made me never want to come back to Canton... ever again. It was said to be a 3 star hotel. I'd be nice to give it 1.
Oh, one more thing. After I checked out, I saw 3 people sitting in the other room eating so I peaked around the corner and saw what looked like complimentary small continental breakfast items. A few boxes of cereal, a few muffins and a few apples. Right then a women walked up to me and said it would be $6.95 if I wanted to help myself. Now I've seen it all.. no thanks

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gcwaz

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Recently stayed at the McKinley Grand Hotel for 3 nights and 4 full days. Some aspects of this stay were great, other aspects pretty bad. I'll start with the great.

I was there for a conference and the hotel was booked solid. I have tried to keep this in mind for this review and while I was there.
First off, we were greeted at the airport without delay and the driver even pulled my luggage off the carousel. That I really liked. It was kind of heavy.
The staff was very friendly. From the driver to the front desk, housekeeping, waitstaff in the restaurant. Not a single negative thing to say about the way I was spoken to or treated by any of the staff of this hotel. All very professional and yet also very friendly. Lots of smiles and offers to do more. For this reason alone, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.
The accommodations were fine. I stayed in a room with two double beds. The bed was comfortable and the room was larger than some I've stayed in.
Something I tend to notice at hotels is mold/mildew smell. I was pleased to note that I never had any indication of mustiness or mold/mildew. The hotel appears to be well maintained and cleaned.
I ate several different things while staying here. The best was the cheddar broccoli soup. Absolutely the best I have ever eaten. I also had a chicken wrap. Good, but somewhat dry. I used hot sauce on it to make it tastier. Again, everything I ate was good, I don't really have any complaints about the food. The fact that there was actually a restaurant and a bar in the hotel is a plus all by itself.
Now to the negative and the reason I did not give 4 or 5 stars:
My biggest complaint with the hotel would have to be the lighting. It is terrible!! The light in the room was dim and the lighting in the bathroom was slightly better but the vanity was somewhat large and it was difficult leaning over it to get close enough to the mirror to see good for applying makeup. They really need to go through this hotel and upgrade the lighting. Adding a fridge to all the rooms would be nice also. I'm so glad my room was close to the ice machine. Next I would say that although they were very friendly, the waitstaff in the restaurant is slow. Too slow. If we had been on a strict time table I would have had to find somewhere else to eat. Finally, keeping in mind the fact the hotel was booked full, they didn't maintain enough towels. When housekeeping got to my room they always had to come back with towels because they never had enough to replace my couple of towels. Really not acceptable as we had the minimum amount of towels as it was and not to be able to use a clean towel before getting ready for dinner was a negative.
This hotel does have a gym and a pool. The pictures online looked great but when I went downstairs to check them out, I decided not to use them. Not welcoming at all. That is all I can really say about that.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank joan72761
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I made a reservation for the convention I attended back in July, but there was a mix up with it, and it got lost, THANKFULLY Coty at Front desk ( I hope I spelled that right) was able to get me into the last King room they had and it was PERFECT. I checked in on Thursday the 10th and was immediately impressed by the room. The ONLY complaint I had about the room was the fact that you could tell the housekeepers didn't pull out the shorter table to dust. I needed a lot of surface space for my foot, so i turned the table and the part that was under the other and there was a nice layer of dust. Not a big deal really :)
The entire staff was so accommodating to us, and bent over backwards to make it a pleasant stay.
I think it looks JUST as advertised, yeah it might need to be a little updated, but I think that only adds to its charm.
Karen at the bar is SO sweet and pleasant, and I remember her from last year as being so awesome. Kathleen from the kitchen had an author and I cracking up laughing Monday morning talking about coming back next year for the convention. "CALL THE HAZMAT TEAM!" -- Remember? LOL
I did feel horrible that I couldn't leave my housekeepers a cash tip, so I hope the bag of snacks I left more than made up for it. Thank you so much to the entire staff for making EC's convention want to come back over and over again for our family reunion. Your staff is just like family too! Welcome to the EC family McKinley Grand! Can't wait to see you next year!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I just got back from the McKinley Grand hotel where I attended a convention. Okay, like some of the reviews have said here, the hotel needs some updating. It is due for a renovation. But all of that was nothing because the staff was so fantastic. What it lacks in newness it makes up for in charm. The hotel staff bent over backwards for everyone there, I cannot remember when I have had such charming service. And the rooms were clean and well kept. I was very happy with my stay and if they hold the conference again at the McKinley again I will be thrilled.

Room Tip: I asked for a room facing the right side of the hotel (with a view of Canton downtown) and I couldn...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here for three nights for a conference. Check-in staff were great and ladies on bar and in the restaurant were lovely but at the end of our stay we encountered the rudest man, Rocky. We were at the end of a five week trip around the states and I can safely say everywhere else we stayed the staff were great, this man had no customer service.
We booked the van to the airport. Arrived downstairs on time only to be grunted at by him then told we had no booking. He then found it on the wrong day (not out fault) but he didn't apologize nor did he offer to help us find alternative arrangements to get to the airport. I had to ask for a taxi number, call them myself and he never even bothered to look up from his desk.
It's a shame our trip ended this way. The place was clean but does need updating and the rest of the staff is great, just make sure you don't check out in the early morning when this man is on desk.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lily071
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our room was surprisingly clean, I was a little concerned based on some previous reviews before our trip. The fixtures in the bathroom looked updated, the water was very loud though, I don't think there was an aerator on the faucet. The room had newer carpet and the bed was comfortable but the pillows had a lot to be desired. I did not see any damage or excessive wear on any of the furniture in our room.

The common areas like the hallways and elevator could use a good cleaning, but they weren't disgusting just showing some neglect. Check-in was easy, we arrived at midnight and Rose was very pleasant and helpful. We parked in the lot across the street and took the walkway over to the hotel. I was willing to pay $7 to park in the lot, after paying upwards of $25 to park overnight in some larger cities, it was still a bargain. The enclosed walkway over the road was a little creepy and there were some conflicting signs about what time it was opened and closed. There is a no concealed weapons (knives, guns, deadly weapons) policy stated at the entrances made me raise my eyebrows about the area but we had no issue. It is the first time I have ever seen a hotel with a sign like this.

We didn't use the pool or anything, but with just a place to sleep I found it perfectly acceptable. We live near railroad tracks at home so if there were trains and noise, no one in my family noticed.

This place is maybe more 3 star than 3.5 stars, but it was acceptable for a one night stay but since we travel and hold Concealed Carry permits it would not be the first choice since we would have to leave our items in the car across the street and would worry about a break-in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wrenchgal
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We arrived and were a little taken aback, doesn't quite look like it does on the website, needs a lot of updating. Away for a quick weekend however, we didn't really care.

When we went to check in, there was a wedding reception in progress, and no one was at the front desk. Waited about 10 minutes, and when the gentleman came to the desk he was under obvious stress, so we ignored / forgave his rudeness. Go up to the room, and it was two double beds, not the King we reserved (weekend away with the wife, not looking to sleep across the room from her), as well as one of the beds seemed like it was lain in or just made extremely sloppily. Wall paper peeling off walls, water on the bathroom floor, and a tub that dripped constantly. Went to the front desk, was told point blank that "people reserve rooms on Hotels.com all the time and we give them doubles, it states clearly that the room preference isn't guaranteed". Refused to change us to a king room, and then stated that there were no other doubles available either, but we could go elsewhere if we'd like. Went back to the room, went out for the evening, and then returned to discover we were on the same floor of the wedding party, and although we returned at 0200 they were loud until after 4 and the hotel ignored complaints. On top of that noise, the air conditioner in the room was only a fan, and squealed like an old car belt non-stop; had to choose between the noise and 80 degrees or no noise and 90.

Left the next morning for the Hall of Fame, returned at 1530 and the room still wasn't cleaned from the night before. If it weren't for the location and convenience, this hotel would be a 1 all around.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple