“EXCELLENT HOTEL -- WOULD RETURN!”

McKinley Grand Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Roanoke, Virginia
“EXCELLENT HOTEL -- WOULD RETURN!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

After reading the posted reviews, I was very leery of staying at this hotel. However, much to my surprise, the hotel was very nice. It was very nicely decorated in the lobby and first floor. My room was on the 3rd floor and was very large and roomy and clean. The linens were newer and clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. was high quality. The AC and heat both worked, and there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. I did not experience any of the things that some other reviewers had said. I ate in the restaurant, and the food was delicious. Huge portions and very reasonably priced. Service in restaurant was excellent. Check in and check out was quick and easy. There were options for parking, and the clerk was quick to explain each. I parked on the side street for free or could have parked in the parking garage for $6.75 or $8.00. The only negative thing I have to say is that the smoking area is at the main entrance to the lobby, so I had to walk through about 20 people standing outside smoking when I arrived. This was not a good first impression. I definitely will stay there again.

Room Tip: I was on the third room and close to the elevator. Hall noise and other room noise was a little bot...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynn i

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Grove City, Ohio
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is right downtown canton. Close to Pro Football HOF and other area attractions. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was helpful and friendly. I had a package deal with HOF tickets and Complimentary breakfast at the hotels restaurant. We needed the tickets before check-in time and it was not an issue. The only complaint is that the "complimentary" breakfast cost $4.75 for 2 people (Not a big deal but complimentary should be included completely) The breakfast was good but would never be worth the 9.99 they normally charge. The fitness center was limited but the equipment that was available was high quality. I would stay here again when in the Canton area if the price was right. I would not spend more than $80 a night for room only at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kimmel63
Jane321321
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have lived in the area for 40 years. Moved this past summer. Business brought us back to the area. Luckily only for one night. The boom was not cleanest. Blankets were dirty. Something obviously was spilled on it. The bed was very uncomfortable. Nevermind the loose headboard. Every move it would bang against the wall. I would defiantly check other hotels in the area before spending your money here. Could hear elevator go up and down. I expected grand. Very disappointed. TV remote doesn't work. Carpet stretched and buckled.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jane321321
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is everything a downtown hotel should be... elegant lobby and a very nice full-service restaurant with linen napkins for breakfast (I get tired of runny eggs, cold toast & bagels at continental buffets). The desk staff and the waitress I had were delightful, the room was clean, spacious & lovely.... more than I had imagined. However, before I booked online I called the hotel to ask about parking charges (notice how downtown hotels rarely mention them...). I was told that parking in the nearby public garage is $6.75 but it is included free with many rate plans. I asked which ones... and that I would be paying $129 (+ taxes) for the room -- I was told it was "probably free" for me. When I arrived I was informed that parking is additional (it turns out parking is not included free if booked thru Expedia or Hotels.com), and if I plan to leave during my stay I would need to pay the $8/day rate. Since I did actually plan to go out in the evening I paid the $8, but it ticked me off that I couldn't get an upfront direct answer when I had called specifically to ask. I know that $8 parking is dirt cheap for a hotel in any city, but I prefer to know all my costs in advance. I will definitely stay here again if I should ever go back to Canton, though -- it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JanythW
SeaTac, Washington
Reviewed September 13, 2012

After reading the reviews, I specifically asked for one of the renovated rooms. I was told on the phone that they had been renovated for flight crews. I didn't look at the other rooms, but ours was more than fine. I bid $50 on Priceline so it was well worth the price (half the regular room rate). The location is good. We were there on a Saturday night so we just parked on the street and didn't bother with the garage....so I were going to stay in Canton again, I'd stay here - bid on Priceline and then call the hotel and ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pwiser
Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First time visiting this hotel and found staff to be extremely helpful and pleasant. Room was very nice and beds soooo comfortable! The only thing missing was a microwave and fridge. I did miss those, but we made do. The hotel itself is lovely but could use some updating, especially the swimming pool! Our key cards would not work and had to be replaced right away. Even then, they rarely worked the first time. Thorpe's restaurant had great food at very reasonable prices, even when ordered for room service. All in all, a good visit and would highly recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Canton.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank shelcovell
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hubby and I stayed at this hotel Labor Day weekend. After booking this hotel I read the reviews and was sick to my stomach. When we arrived the lobby was decent and the staff were ok. The guy serving us booked us in the same room as another couple & when we all arrived at the same room..let's just say it was embarrassing. It worked out in our favor b/c that room looked to be awful- and the room we were re-assigned to was better. Not great- but the room was clean and spacious. Hotel is definitely outdated. The enclosed hallway from the parking garage to the hotel was horrible, the carpet was dirty, and it smelled so disgusting I literally held my breath everytime we had to walk thru it. All in all our stay was ok. It could have been much better- but also could have been alot worst.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pauly A

Travelers are raving about these Canton hotels