“exceeded expectations - a true hidden gem”

McKinley Grand Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Canton
North East, Maryland
“exceeded expectations - a true hidden gem”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I rolled the dice at a name-your-own-price site for a nice hotel near Akron, Ohio -- and this hotel came up. I had never been to the town before, so I did not know what to expect.

I am pleased to say I was very happy with my stay. The lobby was beautiful. In one hallway, there is a very interesting display of President McKinley photos and info, which was interesting. Because they took their time to decorate their hotel in something other than corporate-boring-blah, my stay is memorable.

A nice treat: in the basement is a collection of antique/collectible cars. There is no fee to go look or take pics. The cars are for sale, too.

The halls and and room were very good. Bed was very comfortable. Loved the extra pillows.

It offered an in-hotel restaurant which offered optional room service. I didn't try the food, but the menu looked good and in walking through the lobby, it smelled good.

The pool was nice and the important thing to me was that it looked clean. I like how there is a changing room with shower next to the pool so guests are not forced to walk through the hotel in damp clothes.

I depend on my computer when I travel. The wireless internet worked without any problems, and the speed was good.

I had to think hard about a drawback. The only thing I could come up with is that they charge $8 for a parking voucher (or you can pay $6.75 direct to the parking garage). For this price range of room, they really should include parking. It is nice, however, that the garage is right across the street and connected to the hotel's 2nd floor with an enclosed walkway.

The area around the hotel seemed safe, but to be honest we did not have time to explore. All guests we encountered were polite. Staff was polite. I felt comfortable staying here and I would go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank funchy_crunchy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dallas,TX
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Some of these earlier reviews sound utterly nonsensical. The front desk I encountered was so "small town friendly" that I'm certain that they themselves would be upset if a guest was. Someone said the carpet was dirty? I didn't see a speck on my stay, even in the dead of slushy winter.

This really is a "grand" old hotel, though only in character, not in old-style amenities. Clearly they have invested significantly so it could pass for a 5 year old hotel. I didn't see a single frayed thread or any of the tell tale signs of an "old" place. They have a classy lounge, quality restaurant, pool, etc. And the prices were quite lower than what I've paid for the same elsewhere.

Someone suggested a safety issue? There is a police station directly across the street. Note the "total of 1 reviews" reviewers who trashed this place. - and decide for yourself if they are counter-agendaed shills.

I would imagine that this is the number one hotel choice for NFL Hall of Famers vising Canton. It's a fairly classy place and a great value. Maybe I got a good deal by going in the Winter, because I would expect the rate to be twice what I paid.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BillDallas2
Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay. I loved parking in the garage and walking over in the attachment without having to walk the street and sidewalks. Very nice Gentleman (Collins) at front desk. Sorry about the pizza Collins (should have offered you a piece) Hallway to Room a little musty. The room was very lovely, nice bed, Had a lovely swim in the pool! Room Service Breakfast very satisfying. Didn't appreciate housecleaner banging on doors yelling housekeeper or something like that and then when i was leaving she asked what room i left. (Not nice) Over all good relaxing stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed there through Priceline.com which billed this dump as a 3 star hotel. What a crock!
The carpet is so filthy no only in the room but throughout the entire dump.
There is never a manager there when you need one and when there is they are nasty and not willing to make thing right.
The toilet ran and flushed all night, the shower almost had no pressure and it smelled like a locker room. I would never stay there or use Priceline for Canton again.
At best I would rate this as a 2 star.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Canton hotels

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed December 14, 2010

If you are ever stating in Canton, Ohio I have to recommend the McKinley Grand Hotel. Reasonably priced downtown hotel located within walking distance to popular Canton land marks such as, the Salvation Army, the City Union Mission and the bus terminal. If you are lucky enough to check in before two thirty in the afternoon, you can catch the sun just as it's setting over the rail road yards and elaborately painted walls of the abandoned steel mills. Overall a great hotel that you shouldn't leave after dark unless you need to score some crack. If you do need crack, bonus! Also love the three complementary rolls of toilet paper

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank kittenrancher
Dagsboro, Delaware
Reviewed December 10, 2010

We went to Canton, Ohio (on a Thursday) to visit the First Ladies Museum which is across the street from this downtown hotel. It was very clean with comfortable beds and a warm, friendly staff. There are a few curious references to this as "historic" which it is not. The history can be found in a number of interesting photos on the lobby walls concerning President McKinley along with interesting historic tid-bits about the McKinleys. We had a very good breakfast in their dining room the next morning and visited the vintage car display in the basement of the hotel which is not a museum but instead a classic car sales center. In effect this was a museum with price tags and was delightful as well as free. Parking across the street is optionally in a city garage for $8 or take your chances somewhere on the street. Downtown Canton was never loaded with people (see the malls just to the north for all all the traffic! The McKinley house across the street is spectacular for history buffs, the house was meticulously restored and highly recommended. The "Grand" hotel seems a little less than GRAND but in all important respects was comfortable and we would return!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 25, 2010

After reading previous reviews I was ready for the letdown of this hotel our group had booked. This is my first review and I felt compelled to tell my experience. The lobby was elegant and impressive yet comfortable to sit and have conversations. I was very concerned at first when our assigned room was next to the humming ice and soft drink machine. When we entered our sixth floor room we did not hear any outside sounds. The room was quiet, very nicely appointed, roomy, and clean with a comfortable bed. The swimming pool did have some spots on the bottom but it seemed to be from a reaction of stainless steel to the water. The pool was very clean and the water clear. The staff was courteous and helpful. Garage parking was $8 but that is to be expected for a downtown location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business