“More Tuscan than Tuscany...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canton
The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard
Washington, DC
“More Tuscan than Tuscany...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Villa at Gervasi Vineyard on a recent business trip. I would really have been happy at one of the chain hotels out on the strip, but my hosts insisted that I stay here. It was not something I would have expected in Canton! Although it is within the city limits proper, it feels like it is outside the city, in countryside. You enter through a grand stone gate and meander along a road, past the vineyard welcome center, then along the edge of the vineyard itself to reach the lodging area. The hotel consists of a series of small buildings - villas - each with several separate guest rooms adjoining a shared living room. This would be great for a group of family members or friends traveling together - but it works pretty well for individuals not traveling with a group, also.

The decor is over-the-top Tuscan. I've vacationed in Tuscany many times over the years - but I've really never seen anything quite like this. Sort of like Tuscan decor on overdrive. It was fine for a night or two, but after several days I think the decor might drive me a little batty. It made me really appreciate the understated, clean design of other winery hotels at which I've stayed - in Napa Valley, in central Virginia, in Willamette Valley, etc.

While the decor was a distraction, the comfortable room and beautiful view more than made up for it. The bed was simply amazing, with a perfect featherbed and perfect pillows. The shared living room includes a well-appointed mini-kitchen with a stocked beverage refrigerator (gratis), ice machine, tea, and bowl of fruit (I think there was a microwave, also - and there was a separate small refrigerator in the closet of my room). When you check in they ask you what time you would like to have breakfast - and they then deliver a breakfast box (literally a wooden box, with your room number carved on the lid) to the living room table at that time. Breakfast consisted of a couple of yummy egg/pastry rolls, a French toast-like brioche with some sort of sweet baked custard inside, some grapes, and some warm granola bars (and coffee, of course).

The bathroom decor was quite overwhelming - but, like the bedroom, it was extremely comfortable and well appointed, with a large walk-in shower, a spacious sink area, towel heater, and separate toilet room.

My room faced onto a little pond, which was quite beautiful.

There is a restaurant on the premises - one of the best in Canton, my hosts told me - and my walk there from my villa was FREEZING (it was a February day, with snow and freezing rain). If I had it to do again in winter, I would probably have requested a villa closer to the restaurant. Not surprisingly, the restaurant features (only) the vineyard's wines - which are delicious. The food was so-so, for which they seem to be trying to compensate by making the servings enormous. One of my hosts ordered a pasta entree - and it was large enough to have fed the entire table. I ordered two appetizers instead of an entree, and each of them would have been enough, alone, for my meal. One of the appetizers was asiago pierogies - sounded yummy on the menu, but the four pierogies arrived, fried and greasy, on a sizzling steak platter that ultimately burned their bottoms. Disappointing. Next time (and there probably will be a next time for me here) I'll order something simpler - or will ask if they can split an entree between two people.

Room Tip: Each villa is separate, so you need to go outside to reach the restaurant and other amenities. If it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank YetAnotherViajera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
AKRON, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Villas at Gervasi exceeded our expectations.  As soon as you enter the grounds you feel as if you’ve been transported to another place. The place was well manicured, and beautifully landscaped. The staff was attentive, friendly, and extremely helpful.  We stayed in the Villa Firenze 2 level King suite.   The décor in the villas is gorgeous and not over the top, very tasteful.  The views are incredible.

Each villa has four suites that share a common area. The fridge in this area is stocked with complementary yogurt, water, soda and juices. There is also ice, a basket of fresh fruit and a microwave.

The rooms also have individual fridges for your personal items.  There are also nice robes and slippers. There is a Blu Ray DVD player in the bedroom so bring your own movie and microwave popcorn. They also have movies available for you complimentary.  We had in room couples massages after our dinner at the Bistro which were very good.

Breakfast was delivered in a wine box and left in the common area with the room number. There's an in-room coffee maker to brew your own coffee.  Breakfast was an assortment of fresh pastry, fruit and a bacon, egg and cheese pastry. My wife who has celiac's even received her own specially made gluten free breakfast wrap. What a very nice touch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SIPNSMILE
Medina, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Booked a villa to celebrate our anniversary. What a fantastic place to celebrate together! The villas are decorated beautifully in a rustic Italian style - every detail perfect. Check in was quick & easy and the villas are just behind the check-in building, so parking & getting inside was effortless. Each building houses 4 separate rooms (villas) with a large common room in the center, and a patio off the common room. It was quite cold, so we didn't really get to enjoy being outside, but the views, even in January, are gorgeous. The rooms themselves are not overly large, but fine for the 2 of us. The bathroom was quite large though! The fireplace wouldn't turn on when we arrived, but a call to the front desk had maintenance there within 15 min. and he fixed in right away. We loved that there was an assortment of beverages and fresh fruit included in the common room for our use at no additional charge. And the breakfast they delivered (also no extra charge) was incredibly delicious & hot! We also had a bottle of wine and an antipasta platter delivered to our room when I made the reservation. Both were in the room refrigerator when we arrived and we thoroughly enjoyed both!

The complaints we have are minor and would not keep us from visiting for an overnight stay again, however, worth mentioning:

Cold floors - they are tile and even though there is an option to warm them on the thermostat, they never got warm. Yes, it's January, and yes, I wore socks, but walking on the floors in bare feet during late night trip to the bathroom was positively icy! Bring slippers! (They have some to use, but were quite large!)

Very firm bed - I had a hard time getting comfy on this bed. Not sure if they are all like that or just the one in our room. We had a King suite - only 1 bed, so no opportunity to try out another. My saving grace is that they put 6 pillows on the bed, so with some strategic pillow placement, I was able to get somewhat comfortable. Not the best night's sleep though.

No door on the shower - the bathroom was luxurious in it's styling and amenities, but without a door on the shower, I had to have the water very hot to compensate for the cold air I was feeling. And, there are heated towel bars in the bathrooms, but they take quite a while to heat up. Turn them on about 30 min. before your shower to get them nice & warm. I turned it on just as I got in the shower & that wasn't long enough to warm it up.

This is a wonderful place to stay that isn't too far from home and I do look forward to visiting there again in the warmer months. The staff was friendly & helpful in all areas and seemed genuinely happy to have us there.

Room Tip: We were in the Villa Portofino room 202. Beautiful view from our windows and very close to parking...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dssmom
Lancaster, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Gervasi Villa. The room, service, and dinner was pure perfection. The dinner was excellent. Every detail was carefully thought out. Breakfast was delivered to the villa promptly. Each villa has a common area and patio overlooking the lake. Very beautiful setting. The only negative was a train track right beside the villas. A train went through at 3:20 a.m. blowing its horn.

Room Tip: The first couple of villa behind the main area would be quieter because they are the farthest from t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CWalter75
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

After attending a business meeting at the Grand Villa, I booked a room to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. The staff was extremely attentatve which is exactly what we wanted. We wanted to be treated like royalty,and we got it! Relaxedi in the room on our first night and walked to the Bistro for our reservations on our second night. It was very nice having a DVD player in the room. We were able to take it easy and watch movies that we were able to rent. The only downfall was their property is entirely non-smoking which caused my husband to drive off property every few hours just so he could calm his need for nicotine. Since we stayed for two days, we weren't able to completely relax. Otherwise, it was a great experiene. I am thinking of going back, but maybe with family members that don't smoke...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debsuedue
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night and enjoyed every minute. The room is beautiful and dinner at their bistro was amazing. It's hard to believe this place is in Canton, Ohio. Please take the time and visit. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Activehook
Niles, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was beautiful and luxurious, high quality linens, and a lovely fireplace. The food in the resturant was very good, a bit pricy but a variety of options and price points. Our waiter was well informed and very helpful. We would highly recommend a visit. I was disturbed by the train that sounded as if it was going thru my room at 2:00 AM, but this would not stop me from returning and my husband did not hear it at all.

Room Tip: We were in the Sienna Villa only problem was a train that sounded as if it was going thru our room a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susan50761
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
The Bertram Inn at Glenmoor
Courtyard Canton
Courtyard Canton
#4 of 7 in North Canton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Canton South

Been to The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard? Share your experiences!