“The good, the bad and the ugly”

Ramada Canton/Hall of Fame
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We booked a 2 queen bedroom for my wife and I and our two grandsons. We were in Canton to go to Pro Football Hall of Fame. The staff was very pleasant and tried their best. However, they seemed overmatched with the problems created by a very old and tired facility. The swimming pool looked to be usable, but we were not allowed to use it because the chemicals needed to be adjusted. This was one of the reasons we booked the hotel..and our youngest grandson was not happy as he loves to swim. The morning breakfast consisted of reconstituted scrambled eggs, somekind of potato mess, and knarly sausages. Not good. Hallways and rooms showed their age and alot of hard use. This is a 3 story motel and has ice machines on each floor, two of the three ice machines were out of order and no one seemed to be trying to get the brokens ones repaired. This motel looks to be a money pit,with everything in need of replacement.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Drocton
RamadaHallofFame, General Manager at Ramada Canton/Hall of Fame, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

I recently completed my first year as GM at this property which is now Ramada. It is being operated under a new Management Company. We are planning more upgrades as we move forward toward another new year. I am sorry your stay was a disappointing one. I would like to invite you to stay with us again and let my all new staff convince you we are on the right track.Please call me personally and book your visit.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed here for a few weeks while working. The room was good, problem is that I started paying cash and did not recieve legit receipts. When I checked out on a Tuesday I had paid for the whole week. I was told that I had a refund but it could not be credited to my card because I paid in cash, they would have to mail me a check. To my surprise, a week after I was home, my credit card was charged for ten extra days. After many calls and a rude manager, I got nowhere. What I though was my receipts was just copies of dates of previous payments (not my last 2 payment dates). Apparently there were no records of my last two weeks of cash payments. Obviously someone pocketed my cash payments. Funny thing is the system is set up to lock you out of the room if you are not paid by Thursday, a week ahead. Therefore there was no way I was 10 days behind like they set it up appear. Don't stay here, if you must--never give you card information and make sure your receipts have the correct dates for payment.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed April 26, 2011

The room had a super small bathroom with mold in the bathtub. Housekeeping failed to clean the room for our second day. The breakfast bar was just OK. I would try someplace else next time.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Where to start?? was overall dirty..moved to 2 different rooms due to lack of hot water & rooms were dirty & smelly..call the front desk several times & the 1-800 number & complained..NOTHING was done about it...lack of food at breakfast they were allowing non guest to eat breakfast there...several handicap parking spaces were taken up by building materials have pictures to prove it...room did not get cleaned do to lack of staff but was offered a vaccum & cleaning supplies to clean my own room which I did have pictures to prove it..hallway & elevator smelled all the time...wash machine took my money front desk would not refund..dryer didnt work...exercise equipment is OLD dosent work right...carpet was sticky...internet was not working..ice machine was not working..they ran the wrong credit card...would not take AAA discount card...staff rude...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank toptravel101

Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed in this hotel on our way home from Myrtle Beach back to Ontario. We have passed through Canton many times and always said we would like to stop at the Football Hall of Fame - so this year we planned an extra day during our March Break to stay in Canton and visit the Hall of Fame and take in some shopping. We stayed over two nights.

As for the hotel's location - it was perfect for what we wanted - close to the Football Hall of Fame and close to a lot of shopping.

The hotel itself is an older hotel that is undergoing a renovation, which it needs, but the hotel itself is not really bad. The rooms we saw (and we saw a few were large with an area for sofa bed separated from bedroom with King size bed or two double beds by bathroom area. There are two older tube TV's - one in sitting room that also has sink, fridge and microwave and one in bedroom.

The common areas were relatively clean and welcoming. There is a large area off the lobby for breakfast. Breakfast itself was OK and included some hot foods such as eggs, sausages, biscuits. There was also coffee, juice and a really good hot chocolate machine (have not seen this before with continental breakfasts). The food was just OK, the bagels, toast etc was OK. Got me and family going both days we stayed.

The biggest problem at this hotel is the incompetent staff - from the front desk staff, to housekeeping, to the people working on the renovations.

On our check in after a long ride here is the account of what happened:

Check in at desk. Girl working desk seemed slow in getting check in done - but did assign us a room as per our reservation. When I asked directions on how to get room and questions about pool it was apparent she was new - maybe new today. We got to room and quickly saw that the room was not cleaned adequately - there was vomit on the floor in front of the sofa bed and a very unclean bathroom - many foreign objects around room and bathroom and much dirt left over from previous renters of room.

I went back to desk to report this - she was quite perplexed on how to change me to another room but eventually gave me a key to a room she said was the same on the second floor. I went to that room (followed by wife and family up elevator) and the key did not work. I returned to front desk and she told me that she gave me wrong room number - try another room - went to that room and the key did not open.

It turns out that the second floor smells like smoke from end to end - likely due to the renovators up there working that are smoking in room they are working in and in hall way - glad we did not end up staying on that floor. TIP: If you don't like smokey smell try to stay on ground floor - it seemed OK end to end.

Family following me now. Oops she said - try this room - gave me a key to another room - left family in lobby - went to that room - opened it to find it occupied - and the present occupants were not too happy that I opened the door. Quickly returned to front desk. The girl working the desk was now having an anxiety attack. She called the night manager ( a nice lady who seems to be running the hotel most of the time we were there - she is the only competent person I met the whole time at the hotel). I am ready to leave but the night manage convinces me that she is competent enough to deal with us - and we are now quite tired - this whole ordeal so far has taken about 45 minutes. She personally checks another room for us - it has 2 double beds instead of King bed in bedroom - she tells us that there are no other non smoking rooms available - finally this room is relatively OK - bathroom still not perfectly clean but with a quick wipe up it is OK.

We stay two nights and surprisingly the day we are away at hall of fame the room is cleaned fairly well.

On check out - they have messed up the room rate - I signed a form that listed on room rate and the check out clerk charged me another rate - likely because we changed room type. Almost an understandable mistake that should be easily rectified - but it was beyond the capabilities of the clerk to fix this small error. In order - she put down her phone that she was playing a game on to go to back room, came back, called manager on her personal cell phone, got part way through call, accidentally hung up, called manage back, tried something on computer to give me refund of amount , accidentally recharged my credit card, with more help from manager eventually reversed charge on my credit card I think - will have to wait until I see actual bill. Incompetence took another 30 minutes.

Overall: 45 minutes to get a room, 30 minutes to check out is not what I am looking for in any hotel - in between the room was OK and uneventful for the most part. By the way - good wireless internet.

Note to manager - staff training needed for desk staff and for your renovators (smoking while working in non smoking area - give your head a shake) . Give your night manager who also worked the morning shift at breakfast and who seemed to be overseeing your housekeeping staff and most other things at the hotel a big raise so you can keep her - she is your only bright light.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank like2travellots

Reviewed February 12, 2011

First, let me say that I have never left a hotel in the night before, and hope never to have to again! We booked a 2 night stay here based on reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. Booked a non smoking Queen Suite, as there were no non smoking King Suites available...not realizing that this makes no difference, as the whole hotel smells of smoke. I used to smoke, so the smell doesn't generally bother me, but it was pretty strong. There was a good inch of ice throughout the entire parking lot, so unloading the car and getting to the door was an adventure. Still, we are not picky people, it's $65 a night, we can live with this. The carpets in the hallways and rooms are filthy, the walls are dirty and our mini fridge didn't seem to be cold. Our Suite consisted of a counter with a sink and empty cupboards, a small table and chairs, which apparently also doubled as the "computer station", a loveseat with no lighting around it and a tube TV on a swivel so that you could watch it from the loveseat or the bed, which is separated from the "living area" by a half wall. The bathroom was very small, but adequate. There was an alleged "Managers Reception", but we couldn't really find it...perhaps we missed it as we didn't check in until 6:30. The exercise room is about the size of a bedroom with a couple of machines, treadmills and a stationary bike crammed in. The pool area is huge, pool seemed okay, a little cloudy, but my husband would have happily used it. The trouble started when we came back from dinner...Apparently there is some major construction going on at this establishment, and one of the construction workers broke the water main. There was no water! I can't help but question why a construction worker would be working on main water pipes at 9pm on a Thursday night, and yet, he apparently was! We were assured we would have water again within the hour, which we did, although I had no intention of using it by that time. In the meantime, a college swim team came back from their swim meet and proceeded to run wild through the halls of the hotel. We were fortunate to be in the room directly across from the vending machine and elevator, so we were the midpoint gathering place. I realize that unforseen things happen, and we are really pretty willing to put up with quite a bit. However, as paying guests, we should be afforded the same courtesy as every other guest. And it doesn't seem to be too over the top to expect water and a bit of privacy in a hotel room. We were out of this hotel and at the Courtyard Marriott by 10:30. The front desk attendant was very sympathetic and attentive. The same could not be said for the night manager, who was completely indifferent. Now we have to keep track of our credit card to make sure the charges are removed as promised.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 28, 2010

I had the privilege of booking a room for my nephews 12th birthday, We had plans for a two-nite stay and then visit the Football Hall of Fame and a fishing trip. However my father passed away unexpectantly and we only got in the one night. The staff was wonderful and expressed their condolences. They did not penalize us for the short stay and the bill was rewritten for the one night. I am now in the process of re-booking another stay. I found the hotel to be very nice for the price. I have stayed in many hotels far more costly than this one and they were not as nice. I applaud the Magnuson chain for providing good, accomodations for people that want to just have a get away moment and find in this economy it is next to impossible. Thank you Magnuson and I will remain a loyal customer and will make referrals to my family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

I want to thank you for your compliments. We are now Ramada Hall of Fame and are under new management. We are continuing to upgrade. We hope you schedule a return reservation soon. It is our goal to make sure every guest is happy when they leave and in this case I am glad to see we succeeded. Your compliments are well received and will be shared in our next staff meeting. Thank you again and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.