“Wonderful Family Vacation”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Family Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our family of 4 (children ages 2 and 4) joined my parents and my sister, her husband and their baby for a long weekend. The lodge was beautiful and the price was very reasonable. We enjoyed the fitness room, game room, restaurant, outdoor playground and sandbox and indoor pool very much. We walked along the lake and fished. The boat rental was quite expensive, but fun. We had the entire beach to ourselves on a warm day in September, which was great family fun. Salt Fork is a great value and we can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: We had to make a few phone calls the week prior to our stay to ensure we actually go an adjoining ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff. Everyone on the Salt Fork team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like these make it all worthwhile. We look forward to welcoming you back and will do all we can to make sure you have a private beach experience once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
TailgateJeff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The lodge and attached hotel rooms were built in 1970. While the rooms and lodge have been updated, the age does show in place. While parts of the lodge and rooms were dated, everything here was clean.

All the employees were very helpful and friendly. There are a host of activities to enjoy at the lodge and the huge state park. Crafts for the kids, horseback riding, boat rentals, hiking, nature walks and the list goes on and on.

The food at the restaurant is average and a little on the expensive side. If you wanted to eat off property, you choices nearby are pretty muck limited to pizza and sandwiches at a couple of place outside the park. Anything else is a trip to Caimbridge and you'd be looking at a 45 minute round trip to get there.

The hotel rooms have a small fridge and microwave. If you have kids, it might be a good idea to bring breakfast and lunch items and make your own in the room. There are a number of charcoal grills (bring your own charcoal) aroundthe lodge if you wanted to grill out. There is also a full service bar with a very limited number of menu items.

If you are expecting rooms of the quality of a Hampton Inn, this isn't the place for you to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room that offers a view of the woods.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled to learn that your overall stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your positive comments with my staff. I also appreciate the constructive comments relative to our food operations. Please visit us again; we look forward to welcoming you back!
Manchester, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Spent weekend with 6 couples--lodge was very nice. Rooms were simple but clean and very thing functioned well. Two different views from your room's balcony--one of the woods and the other of the pool/playground. Ask for the type of view you want. Lodge had many public setting areas for a group of any size to gather, including with with a great large fireplace. Focus by the lodge on sustainability pleased me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Everyone on the Salt Fork team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like these make it all worthwhile. We look forward to welcoming you (and all others in your party) back soon!
Hilliard, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We took our 2 young children to Salt Fork State Park Lodge for a quick overnight trip. We loved the indoor pool! perfect temperature and great fun for the kids! The room was very nice, loved watching deer from our balcony. There is a nice playground at the Lodge for young children and plenty of great spots to sit and rock a baby :)
The food at the lodge dining room was not so great (over priced and over cooked). But, there is a fridge in the room!

Room Tip: If you've got kids, ask for a bunk room! very fun!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Salt Fork. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff. I know they appreciate positive feedback just as much as I do. Our Executive Chef has been advised of your displeasure with the food pricing and preparation.

Please visit us again; we look forward to welcoming you back!
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My family and I have spent many years coming to the lodge but our last two visits have been utter disasters. I understand it is a lodge that is located in a heavily wooded area and a bug here or there or some dust is not out of the question. With that said, we have learned to lower our expectations with regard to the cleanliness of the room, so seeing a cobweb or some dust near the doors has become the norm. Unfortunately, the last two visits the cleanliness of the room was so objectionable that we can say we are no longer going to return.

Last year we had an issue with mosquitoes in our room. After check in and quickly dropping off our bags in the room we spent the afternoon at the pool and then at the restaurant. Coming back to the room for the night, my husband walked over to the curtain to close it and we noticed several mosquitoes. Every time we moved the curtain, more mosquitoes. Ten minutes later, he had killed at least twenty mosquitoes (wish I was kidding) and there were still more. Apparently, the maids had left the doors open when they were cleaning the room and this is how they got in. They were hiding in the curtains on the slider so every time you moved the curtain more of them would fly out. We addressed this with the night clerk and even showed her all of them. She was very apologetic and agreed that it had to have been when the maids left the door open. She gave us another room next to our present room and closing the curtain in this room ended up with the same problem. By this time we just told the night clerk that we would just stay with our parents as they had a room with two doubles and it would be much easier than trying another room so late at night. She agreed, removed the cost associated with our room and gave us free breakfast vouchers.

Fast forward to this year and we decide to give it one more try since it had long been a tradition. Normally my husband or my parents make the reservation, however, this year I called. I explained to the lady on the phone that I wanted just one room this year with two doubles for my parents, husband and I. I told her we had trouble with our room last year and since we usually only stay at the lodge for one night that this arrangement would be fine. We go through the whole conversation and I ask her to repeat it back and she had set up reservations for two rooms. So once again, I explain what I want. Okay, she finally gets that right and I ask her for the price. I once again clarified with her that it was one room for my parents, husband and I and she agreed that is what she set up. I also asked if we could be sure to get a renovated room and she brushed me off and said that all the rooms had “somewhat been renovated over the winter.” She appeared to be only half listening. It was a rather frustrating phone call.

I called Xanterra to confirm the reservation because I was sure that the clerk still didn’t have it right and they told me that the room was only booked for two people and that it would be more money for two more in the room. The clerk I made the reservation with never mentioned this and I clarified the situation with her several times. Xanterra said they couldn’t change it and we would have to take it up with the front desk since we made the reservation with them. When we got there the room was only booked for two. At check in the woman acted annoyed and said that the clerk had put a note that she told us about the extra person charge. I told her Xanterra said they put the note; obviously the clerk didn’t because she made the reservation for only two people! The front desk clerk said if I wanted to stop by and talk to the clerk I’d registered with later that afternoon, she might take off the extra charge since she didn’t tell us about it. I said okay, stopped by that afternoon and the clerk apologized for not mentioning that at the time of the reservation and she took off the extra charge. We went about our day, swam in the pool and ate a really good dinner at the lodge restaurant. However, we were not put into a renovated room; the room had the old style patio door that my mother and I could barely pull open. It was extremely odd too because when we looked at the wing from the outside, there were many rooms with newer doors and the lodge could hardly be described as busy. We could handle that; but what came next was appalling.

After getting ready for bed, I turned down the covers and discovered to my horror a rather long blood stain on the cover between the sheets. Upon further inspection, there was what appeared to be little droplets of blood on the whole edge of the blanket. The blood appeared to have been set for a while; it was absolutely repulsive. Beyond disgusted, we went to the front desk and the night clerk said she could switch us rooms. Being as it was late at night we didn’t want to move the bags and coolers so she allowed us to leave our things in that room and sleep in the new room. We agreed and told her that morning we would get our things together from the old room. The new room was also not without its faults as well; when we opened the toilet lid, a bunch of toilet paper was laying in the toilet apparently either the maids missed this or somebody snuck in and had a potty break. The one beds fitted sheet didn’t even come down the entire side and looked like it was made for a much smaller bed. The night clerk told us to talk to the morning manager and would see about getting a discount on the room. The maid service needs serious work.

That morning, the same woman I spoke with at check in was there and told me the morning manager had just left to go in a meeting but that they knew about the situation and she would see about a price adjustment. She told me that hopefully by check out time this manager would be available. She wasn’t that pleasant about the situation and had a cavalier attitude. She seemed annoyed that I wanted to speak with a manager. If our last two experiences are indicative of the level of cleanliness then they are probably used to hearing complaints. We walked around until the actual check out time and when I went up to the counter, I was handed a bill with a zero balance and a “have a nice day.” Ok, sure let me just get the image out of my head of crawling into bed with some stranger’s blood on the blanket I was going to sleep with. The manager never came out nor apologized. It seems like nobody genuinely cares.

I have never in all of our hotel travels seen blood on anything. It was completely unacceptable and we will never EVER return to Salt Fork.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank funinthesun037
Thanks you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I was very disappointed to read about the cleanliness and booking issues that you encountered. Every effort is being taken to rectify these problems. I know this doesn’t change your experience, but I can assure you that we are doing something about it.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not provide you with a positive experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Lodge is really showing it's age, HVAC very uneven, automatic doors don't always work when loading/unloading baggage, food service spotty at best. Ordered eggs over medium three separate times, none ever came out medium, one was edible but barely any yolk, one was about as hard as a rock (replacement was very good which proves they know how). Food is pricey for the quality, wine at $8.00 for a small glass of house wine is ludicrous (not allowed to bring any
alcohol onto the State Park, so you are a captive audience,--if you follow the rules which we did).
Golf course was well maintained, good greens and fairways, very hilly, can't remember any fairway to tee that was flat. Green fees unbelievably cheap, not complaining here. Best meal over three days was the pizza for dinner the last night, not cheap but good quality.

Rooms were clean and well maintained, good housekeeping staff.
Having experience in several states, this was one of the worse. I will avoid it in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cooger11
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Salt Fork. I am obviously disappointed in your overall evaluation and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff. I also want to thank you for the recognition of both our golf course and housekeeping teams. I know they appreciate positive feedback just as much as I do.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Once again we visited Salt Fork Lodge. It never disappoints us when we need a peaceful getaway. The Lodge is spacious and has increased the activities offered, especially for those with children. We enjoyed sitting on our room's porch at dusk and watching the deer come out of the woods to feed. We walked on the trails near the Lodge and drove to the various cabin areas and marinas. Don't miss touring the Old Stone House. The rustic Lodge has many comfortable chairs and rockers available for a quiet read or a friendly chat. The Timbers Restaurant offers a variety of good foods. Visiting the Lodge, not during the summer vacation season, provides a delightful, quiet getaway. We plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing toward the lake, rather than facing the pool and activity area, if you want to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I thank you for your kind words. My team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like the ones you’ve shared make it all worthwhile. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Pine Lakes Lodge B&B Resort and Conference Center
Days Inn Cambridge
Days Inn Cambridge
#10 of 14 in Cambridge
Coshocton Village Inn & Suites

Been to Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!