Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center
$56
$114
$75
SleepInn
Quality Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$63
$55
$45
$98
$93
All reviewsstate parktimbers restaurantgolf coursebunk bedsgift shopindoor poolhiking trailsall agesthe cottagesbeautiful sceneryhot tubtennis courtspontoon boatrocking chairshorseback ridinglake viewlove salt
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were traveling and needed to find a hotel/motel between Pittsburgh, PA, and Columbus, OH. We were dodging some terrible storms (heavy rain, high wind), and wanted to hunker down for the night. We tried to get a room in Zanesville, OH, but they were either all booked, had bad reviews on TripAdvisor, or were only taking "walk-ins" (at the Holiday Inn Express), which I had never heard of in my life. We were willing to give our credit card, but were denied (that is another review though).

The good points:
So, we saw the Salt Fork Lodge on TripAdvisor, called, and they got us in the lodge with only a half-hour's advance notice. The staff was friendly, polite, and very accommodating. The King room was very reasonable: $118 plus tax, when all of the other motels in the area were $150 plus. We enjoyed the beautiful scenery to the lodge and the solitude (away from I-70). The room was nice, clean, and spacious. We had a cute balcony and saw deer grazing below. It was very quiet--no hallway or adjacent-room noise.

What could be improved:
We did have a squeaky bed, although we slept well anyway. Plus the AC ran all night long--it wasn't loud, but it was noticeable. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room--it was fine, not gourmet, but not bad either. The drinks, however, are VERY small and pricey for what you get. My husband had a "marteeny" (pun intended--quite small).

Overall, for the price, it was a nice night's stay while on the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank editordeb
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms have not been redone since the seventies. The rooms were so dated and small. Sinks did not work well. Bathrooms were old. Rooms were outrageously expensive for what they were. The dining room probably had the worst food we have ever had. The people working there were nice and the lake was gorgeous but I would never stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kimpm16
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights at the lodge. The staff was friendly and the rooms were very clean. The food in the resterraunt was good. My complaint is this. We had a AAA Gas and Go package and we chose the pontoon boat ride as an option. My wife who booked the trip was left with the impression that you go to the dock and ride the boat. There was a schedual and sign up sheet for activities we were suppose to fill out. We hadn't stayed there before so we didn't know. We did ask when we checked in and their answer was the vouchers aren't printed yet, we will slip it under the door. That was the extent of the direction we got. We did get the boat ride in so all worked out. We mentioned this before checkout and the answer was look at the activity schedual. Thank you for telling us this after the trip and not before when we really needed it. Despite that, we did enjoy the trip and we will be back. Well know more next time. The hotel should always assume that the public is stupid (which a vast majority of them are). and explain pertinent things to every guest. Good stay overall.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank slb1969
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in a "pet-friendly" cottage at Salt Fork State Park in Cambridge Ohio in mid-June 2013. Although this facility is 20 years older than our favorite state park (Maumee Bay) everything was adequate and in fine working condition, especially the all important air-conditioner. The park is so huge, it certainly takes a car to get everywhere. We bought our own groceries from a nearby Walmart and planned to eat breakfast and lunch in our cottage and eat dinner out. We did dine in the restaurant in the lodge and it was excellent. This was a "relaxing" vacation and.....it was.....we didn't have much planned. We played games and cards and watched t.v. and Netflix on our iPads. We used the pool too. A very enjoyable time. Now, as I mentioned, this was a "pet-friendly" cottage and we had brought our dog. And....I DO UNDERSTAND we are in the middle of WOODS, but, we ended up leaving 12 hours early, because we couldn't spend one more night with deer ticks that we found in our cabin. I DO UNDERSTAND they may have hopped on us or our dog. I did take one off of my son and my dog after a walk. BUT, two other ones we found were in the beds and one walking along the living room floor. I AM NOT blaming the lodge. I don't know what they could have done to keep them out. Maybe they could have sprayed ?? I don't know. The part that bothered me the most was....when I was checking out early, the girl at the front desk didn't even ask me why or if there was a problem but she was sure to tell me that since it was so late that I would still be charged for the whole day. And I was fine with that, it was our choice to leave. Honestly, it's a nice place to vacation. There's golf and fishing and swimming and hiking and jet ski's, etc. But we couldn't handle one more night of deer ticks. I did fill out a survey and management did contact me and DID refund me for half of our last day. Much appreciated and a class act. I think we will stick to Maumee Bay State Park (an amazing place to stay), but if we ever do decide to return to Salt Fork, we will definitely stay in the lodge. I think you need to go and decide for yourself. MANY people told us, before we went, that they loved staying there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The lodge is beautiful. Clean, quiet, and spacious. We had a great time. We swam, hiked and basically relaxed. Our room was perfect- the beds are so comfortable, and with Satellite TV there was always something on when we wanted to watch. It is a peaceful wooded setting and a great place to go whether you want to have an active busy vacation or just relax and take it easy for a few days. The staff is friendly and courteous. The outdoor pool is beautiful, and while it wasn't too crowded when we were there, I think it's plenty big enough to accommodate a good crowd. The hiking trails range from easy to challenging, and the forest is beautiful- there is a pine forest as well as deciduous. The beach is nice, and the lake water seemed clean. It's a huge lake, and while we didn't boat or fish, it looks like there is plenty of space to do so. The only downside to the whole place is The Timbers Restaurant inside the lodge. The food is overpriced and prepackaged. The service is good, and ok if you want a convenient meal close by, but I recommend going into Cambridge if you want to eat out. We ate one dinner at Francis Family Restaurant which is on 22, and the food was really good. They also have fast food, and there are several carryout places that have sandwiches and pizza. Having a refrigerator in our room, we did bring our own food and ate lunches and breakfasts in the room also. We would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We used the Stay for A discount and so we got the double bunk room which is the only room you can get when you use that. It was a good room for a family with two double beds and bunk beds for the kids. Our room faced the pool and was very quiet. I enjoyed being on the second floor because our balcony was more private. First floor balconies are right on the grounds where people walk by.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family