“Some good and some not so good”
Review of Southgate Hotel

Southgate Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean. The staff was OK. It was quiet. The price was much higher than I usually spend but rooms were at a premium that night. They offer no discounts (AARP, military, etc) that most places do. I would probably stay again if nothing else was available but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Southgate Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Over $100 for a dump. Full of construction trucks hid behind the building even on a Friday night. Mold in bathroom. Smells and had trouble breathing. Noise at 3 am and doors slamming at 5 am. Bed has no support, tv very small and no breckfast. Worst deal we have had in 10 years.

Room Tip: Don't stay there, drive onnnnn
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cathy F
Reviewed June 18, 2013

this place is a stink hole. It was the only hotel available but next time I will sleep in my car. This place is so GROSS!!!!!!! The smell in aweful, I got out as quick as I could in the morning. I did not sleep well for fear of what may crawl on me. they brag about being American Owned, but if this is what American owned gets you, I don't want it. $95 for stink. NO WAY!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RunnerWes
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Now way, not again! I would rather sleep in my car. We drove till almost midnight and no other hotels were available. they charged us $95 for a room and it stunk really bad. I do not know what that smell was and I don't want to know. I told my wife to just get in bed and don't turn the lights on. The sheets felt gross too. We are not the first to complain about smell.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WesandHeidi M
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Every other hotel was sold out and we were referred to this place. It looked OK from outside but inside it smelled like a dirty bathroom and there was dirt all over the rugs. Their web site said they gave AAA discounts but they would not give us the discount. The hallway and our room smelled like cigarette smoke. Our room had stains on the carpet, mold on the walls, insects in the bathroom, and a sink that backed up with brown water. At 2:00 AM we were awakened by the "tiki longe" patrons yelling and running around the hallway. That went on for about an hour. No security at all. We didn't bother to see if they offered any breakfast. We just got the heck out of there. On our way out we saw beer bottles and bags of trash on the floor. We had breakfast at Bob Evan's right by I70.
Disgusting and a total waste of $98. We were just as tired when we left as we were when we checked in.

Room Tip: Keep driving. You are bound to find some place nicer in the next town.
Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Joy M
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Sleep in my car before I stay here again. Front desk staff could not care less about your stay, the cleanliness of your room etc. Mold behind the peeling wall paper, water smells and taste terrible. That being said the young lady who works the tiki lounge is very friendly, and the housekeeping staff are as well. However they can not overcome the mismanagement of the young ladies working the front desk.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank IJWMI
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is so gross. One night would have been okay, but we had to stay long-term due to business. The wallpaper was falling off of the wall and there was black mold on the wall and ceiling. There was also mold on the bathtub and housekeeping wouldn't clean. They tried to charge $10/ night for pets. The front desk staff was rude, especially the one called Poky. They were unaccommodating and its not very hard to make us happy. They make you pay in advance for a week at a time and we checked out after five days and they would not give us our money back for the other two days. They claim they don't do refunds for monthly. This hotel is just ridiculous and I would not wish this place on my worst enemy!

• Stayed: September 2012