“Over-Priced, Poor management, Smelly.”
Review of Southgate Hotel

Southgate Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
New Orleans
“Over-Priced, Poor management, Smelly.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Every other hotel was sold out and we were referred to this place. It looked OK from outside but inside it smelled like a dirty bathroom and there was dirt all over the rugs. Their web site said they gave AAA discounts but they would not give us the discount. The hallway and our room smelled like cigarette smoke. Our room had stains on the carpet, mold on the walls, insects in the bathroom, and a sink that backed up with brown water. At 2:00 AM we were awakened by the "tiki longe" patrons yelling and running around the hallway. That went on for about an hour. No security at all. We didn't bother to see if they offered any breakfast. We just got the heck out of there. On our way out we saw beer bottles and bags of trash on the floor. We had breakfast at Bob Evan's right by I70.
Disgusting and a total waste of $98. We were just as tired when we left as we were when we checked in.

Room Tip: Keep driving. You are bound to find some place nicer in the next town.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Sleep in my car before I stay here again. Front desk staff could not care less about your stay, the cleanliness of your room etc. Mold behind the peeling wall paper, water smells and taste terrible. That being said the young lady who works the tiki lounge is very friendly, and the housekeeping staff are as well. However they can not overcome the mismanagement of the young ladies working the front desk.

4 Thank IJWMI

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is so gross. One night would have been okay, but we had to stay long-term due to business. The wallpaper was falling off of the wall and there was black mold on the wall and ceiling. There was also mold on the bathtub and housekeeping wouldn't clean. They tried to charge $10/ night for pets. The front desk staff was rude, especially the one called Poky. They were unaccommodating and its not very hard to make us happy. They make you pay in advance for a week at a time and we checked out after five days and they would not give us our money back for the other two days. They claim they don't do refunds for monthly. This hotel is just ridiculous and I would not wish this place on my worst enemy!

2 Thank Joshandami
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is one of the nastiest hotels I've ever stayed in. This place should be a $20 a night hooker hotel. The room had mold all over the ceiling and reaked of mildew and cigarettes. The bar is super loud and trashy. No one answered the phone when we called the front desk and when we went to the front desk to ask for another room, we stood at the front desk for over 20 minutes waiting on someone to help us.

3 Thank Amboromo
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stopped in at 10:00 pm with no reservations. All hotels in town were booked and the nearest hotel was ninety minutes away. Night clerk would not budge from his $89.00 for the room.
Requested non smoking room. After walking around the rear of the building, then past the mound of cigarette butts laying near the door walked upstairs to my room. Opened the door and immediately smelled smoke and then noticed a ash tray on the table. Called and requested another room, entered the new room and again the smell of cigarettes permeated the air and again another ash tray laying on the table. I then called front desk and requested another non smoking room. I was informed that was all he had, Room and carpet were filthy, stains on the bed sheet. I asked for a partial refund in the morning and received "sorry". Stay away. This place is a dive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mark D
Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

No other hotels available. Ok for 1 night. Beds were comfy. Room was clean.

• Stayed July 2012
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Yes, unlocked my door and saw that someone else's stuff was already there! Thank goodness they weren't in there. When I finally got a room to myself (after lugging all my bags up and down steps since there is no elevator) I found someone else's bathroom garbage still in the garbage can. The room was quite shabby too and when I told the snotty blonde at the front desk that I was dissatisfied and would like to speak to a manager she told me I could not and would be charged for 2 nights even though I left after one. I eventually was refunded. This place is a dive. I will never go back.

• Stayed February 2012