All reviewsold victorianone nightcommon areascarolmansionfireplace
Reviewed October 9, 2017

My wife and I stopped for one night at the Col. Taylor Inn, we enjoyed our stay but I would recommend they invest in a new mattress. We were surprised when we went to bed how we both rolled into the middle of the bed.
I was surprised at check out that they offered a senior discount.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robstainedglass
Reviewed September 1, 2017 via mobile

We experienced this b&b after a bicycle crash. We had left our car there for a tour and thought we would return in 5 days to enjoy rest and relaxation after 200 miles of biking. Instead, three hours later we crashed on a gravel road enroute to our first destination. We were injured and needed emergency care. Carol allowed us to stay at the inn while we went to the nearby emergency room and afterwards. She made us a wonderful breakfast and helped us feel better. We plan to return soon to enjoy this beautiful house properly.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2016

The home is beautiful and comfy. The staff (no employees of the Inn.2 ladies who live there, but not in charge, a couple who use to live there ( but ran in for a moment thankfully), and the owner are very nice down to earth people. However things seem to run by the seat of everyone's pants ( for a lack of better term).
My husband and I decided to do a last minute romantic overnight to celebrate his birthday. Our destination was Historic Cambridge and decided to try our first B&B. Our friends have raved about their stays at different B&B's. We chose the Rose room.
Before leaving our home the owner Carol called asking what time we were checking in I told her we would be there by 3:00pm maybe a few mins. before. She needed to know as she had earrands and knowing the time would assure her timely return.
We arrived at 2:50pm were greeted by a women who said she was there to let us in and pick up Carols grandkids. She showed us to our room and said Carol would be here soon to greet us. We looked around and settled our things in and decided to set off sight seeing. There were no fresh fruit, cookies or any type of beverage in the room ( as stated on the website).
As we returned to the Inn (5:30pm) another couple walked in with us. Very nice people turns out they had previously lived at the Inn and were there to pick something up.The husband tried to light the fireplace in our bedroom but was broken. The wife gave me a tour of the house and helped to find a spot for my bottle of wine in the overstuffed refrigerator (1 of 3) designated for the guests. We were the only guest that evening, much to our surprise as this was Thanksgiving weekend. She said Carol had been there while we were out. Carol did return before we went out for the evening, She apologized for the fireplace not working. My husband and I had a beautiful evening.
Saturday morning we take our showers no bar soaps, no conditioner ( I find this out when I'm already in the shower boy was I upset) the bath gel is bath & body crisp apple ( only choice) fine for me but my husband wasn't to happy about having to wash with fruity soap. The shampoo, and body lotion were 3/4's used. I was uncomfortable about that but as I didn't bring those items ( my very 1st time not packing my bath products) I used the shampoo, lesson learned don't believe everything you read. Also no bath beads as stated on web.
For breakfast we had scrambled eggs, toast w/jam, overcooked ham (reheated & leftover from Thanskgiving wasn't upset about leftovers but shouldn't have been so dry), grapes oj, and coffee. Not sure if this is qualifies as 5 course gourmet. The owner had left before we came down at 9:00am.
This is a beautiful place to stay but the owner needs to spend a more time on the details, change her website so that guests lower their expectations or hire someone to run the place. This was our first B&B but will be staying at others so we'll have something to compare with.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I spent a Saturday night at Colonel Taylor Inn for our anniversary. The home is absolutely stunning and very well kept/clean. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and biscuits & gravy. Both delicious!

We opted for the 60 minute couples massage in our room and it was amazing. The massage therapists are from Jacqueline's Day Spa in town and they're very good at what they do. Very polite and professional. One of the best massages I've ever had!

Only complaint was the Iris room doesn't have an attached bathroom, so you have to go into the hall to get to it. It's also right by the stairs, so it can be noisy. We will definitely stay here again. We'll just pick a different room next time!

Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2016

They took a reservation and even called back to obtain credit card, when arrived Inn was locked and they had gone out of town. They did not answer their cell, and called us next day with half-hearted apology that needed to go out of town and did not have our phone number with them. Ruined our vacation and had to find another place 45 minutes away with two children in car after waiting around for almost an hour. Inn in depressed area and has seen better days, from outside view not kept up,

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family