“Robyn gave us a once in a lifetime Amish experience that we will never forget”

Goodwin House B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burton
Goodwin House B & B
Ranked #2 of 2 Burton B&B and Inns
Mildura, Australia
“Robyn gave us a once in a lifetime Amish experience that we will never forget”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

My friend and I flew to the States all the way from Australia to spend time at Goodwin House and enjoy our Amish experience that Robyn had waiting for us .....

But firstly I will begin with Goodwin House itself. THE most gorgeous, historic building smack bang in the centre of the cutest little town of Burton. So convenient that we were able to literally walk down the street to the lovely restaurants and cute little shops. Our room had such character and we felt so at home during our 5 night stay. It was so lovely waking up each morning to the aroma of breakfast cooking downstairs. (As Mums having a holiday away from cooking for hubby and kids, this was absolute bliss!). French toast, bacon, toast with locally made jams, a plate of fresh fruit every morning as well as a fruit smoothie had us not leaving the house hungry. We loved the fact that as much as possible Robyn sourced all these products locally and from the Amish.

Now onto the absolute highlight and reason for our trip - our Amish experience. My friend and I have always been fascinated with the Amish. We wanted to experience more than just a packed bus tour, we wanted something less commercial and more personal. Robyn and I were in contact for about 4 months before our arrival via email back and forth. She asked what WE wanted to see and experience, and she made it happen. If I hadn't kept a diary of what we did and saw each day there is no way I could remember. We did so much! But that was exactly how we wanted it. We went into businesses and shops that only the locals know about. Robyn was able to organise meals in Amish houses and a card making course. We went to a rug weaver, a puzzle maker, quilt shops, soap maker, painter, bookstores, the local produce auction, I could go on and on. And of course a buggy ride which was the highlight of our holiday. There is no way we would have been able to organise all this on our own. Robyn planned a full three days for us including a whole day visiting covered bridges. Her hourly rate was very reasonable and her knowledge of the Amish is astounding.

I cannot recommend Goodwin House and Robyn's Amish tours more highly. My friend and I are planning another holiday back and probably with a lot more people in tow. We haven't stopped talking about it. Robyn, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the work you put into our holiday, you made it so we were able to fully immerse ourselves in the Amish culture. We will never, ever forget it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank kylieoz-born

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

My partner and I stayed with Robyn for TEN days in August 2010. Couldn't have picked a better place to stay. She runs the historic house with feeling and you feel like you're staying with friends. The room was perfect, with a good bed, air conditioning and a great bathroom with jacuzzi. Don't even get me started on the breakfasts...fresh fruit and fresh fruit smoothies, good coffee. The 'main dish' varies from Amish rolls to the best French toast (w/warm maple syrup) I've ever tasted.
The house is just a minute's walk from the town square and there are shops, restaurants etc. there.
Robyn is very community minded and as you can read in other reviews, she really knows the Amish community. On her recommendations we had lunch with an Amish family and visited several of their businesses.
It felt strange to leave at the end of the ten days. We hope to return!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy188590
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

Robyn is an ANGEL! Through the efforts of an aquaintance in Ohio, Goodwin House was recommended to me when I was looking for a place for my 19 year old son to stay for the night. My son was greeted and immediatley made comfortable as if he were at home. Goodwin was a clean and welcoming bed and breakfast. The owner and staff were friendly and respectful. The food was home made and delicious.

In addition, I would like to thank Robyn for the extra mile she took to help my son.
She offered to help me with many things as I was not able to travel from Illinois to Ohio.
I will forever be greatful. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank goodwinhouse
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

We loved this place. It was my favorite part of our trip back East. We loved the B & B and the owners really took good care of us. This part of Ohio is so beautiful. Burton is a quaint little town with a coffee shop just down the block that I really enjoyed visiting. I felt like I stepped out of the busyness of life and could just enjoy the serenity of it all. The house is wonderful and the rooms are great. We had a very spacious room with comfy beds, a nice TV with DVD player (that the kids really liked) and a very nice bathroom complete with a jacuzzi tub and shower. The owners are quite knowledgeable about the area and gladly shared that information with us. It helped us to really see what was there from a "local" perspective - thanks Robyn and Tom!! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MannaMamma
Bay Roberts, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

My wife and I spent 2 nights at Goodwin House Bed and Breakfast at the end of June. We stayed in the Cherry room. The innkeepers, Robyn and Tom were both very friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable and the ensuite bathroom was very clean. The bathroom contains a large Jacuzzi air tub and a tiled shower enclosure, so you have your choice of a long, lounging bath or quick shower.

Breakfast included coffee, juice, a fruit smoothee, and fresh fruit. On our first morning we also had eggs on a croissante and on our second morning we had waffles with local maple syrup.

While we were there, Robyn, (one of the 2 innkeepers) took us on a great day tour of the local Amish farms and businesses. This was a great tour. We went to places that we never would have seen, had we gone on our own. We saw many different Amish businesses including farms, a furniture maker, a cabinet maker, quilt shops, grocery shop, fabric shop, cheese factory, rug maker, leather shop, book shop, and many more.

Robyn arranged a picnic lunch and we ate at a local small town square, in the picnic area. While there, we visited a local General Store which, although not an Amish business, is still operating as it has for at least a hundred years. It was definitely worth seeing.

Robyn is very knowledgeable about the local Amish community and has many insights into their way of life. We thoroughly enjoyed the day and would recommend a tour with Robyn to anyone who was interested in meeting the local Amish people.

Even if one was not planning on staying at the Bed and Breakfast, We would still recommend Robyn's Amish tour. She indicated that she is thinking of adding her Amish tour as a separate business to the B & B and that she would arrange a tour even if a person were not staying at the B & B. Anyone interested in taking a great tour around the local Amish community should contact Robyn and arrange a day with her. She will arrange a tour for as long as one would like. Her tours are done at an hourly rate that we found to be very reasonable, considering her vast knowledge and contacts within the Amish community. The B & B has a web site and there is a section about the Amish tour under the Activities and Attractions tabs. Very highly recommended for anyone interested in such things.

• Liked — The tour that we took with on of the innkeepers around the local Amish area.
  • Disliked — the cluttered appearance of the kitchen and downstairs buffetts/desks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CGT58
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

My wife and I decided have ourselves a one night getaway somewhere close to home. I found the Goodwin house online, and since Burton is a quaint little town less than hour from Cleveland ....... well there you go.

We were NOT disappointed. We love century homes, and this one has a charm lacking in some others. The owner Robyn, made us feel very welcome. She's a very friendly person who's easy to chat with. She makes a mean big breakfast too!

The room was perfect. It retains it's 19th century charm even with a T.V. in there. The windows, the bed the antique wardrobe, all perfect.

The modern bathroom with the two person jacuzzi tub is a big plus for couples. It's especially great for couples with kids, who are getting away for a night alone.

The only bad thing about anything was that I chose the coldest day of the year to do this. That made visiting the local shops interesting, but also made it easier to cozy up in our room back at The Goodwin House.

• Liked — Charm, Jacuzzi tub, age of building and great innkeepers
  • Disliked — leaving.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baldyankee
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

I decided to stay at the Goodwin House B&B on one of my business trips, and I got everything that I expected, and then some. The owner was extremely kind and helpful, and offered advice on places to eat and things to do.. In addition, the room was extremely well appointed.. The bed I slept in was more comfortable than my bed at home, and the bathroom was exquisite (completely new and upscale sink, shower, and oversized bathtub.) Not to mention the flat panel TV and ambient fireplace.. The breakfast the next morning was definitely one to remember.. The power had gone out overnight in the entire village of Burton, so I was treated to a candle lit breakfast. Fresh coffee, bread, fruit plate, scones, and more! The next time I am in this area I will make it a point to stay at the Goodwin House!

• Liked — Staff, comfort of room, breakfast, location..
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank parryw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center
Red Maple Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Goodwin House B & B? Share your experiences!