“lovely place and atmosphere”

Quintealia's Tea Parlor
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Burton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Joyce has it totally summed up [review to the right.] no seating problems we did have reservations Everyone should have the experience of having lunch in an English Victorian style tearoom at least once . I personally would not rush to go again

2  Thank everydaycustomer
There are newer reviews for Quintealia's Tea Parlor

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a delightful experience here [much to my husband's surprise, I might add, since he was initially a bit dubious but humored me and was happy with his experience as well]. At about 11:30, while enjoying the self-guided walking tour of Burton, we stopped in and made a reservation for a 1:00 lunch. They're clearly very busy at noon, but by 1:00 things had calmed down. You can easily fill the time before lunch, even if you aren't that into walking. Others have mentioned the lovely antique shop upstairs; there's also a beautiful shop next door [Locally Blown Glass] with exquisite glass pieces and jewelry, reasonably priced given the quality. You can also step across the street to the Maple Sugar Cabin on the green and stock up on maple products produced there.

Back to lunch...we ordered the tea sandwich sampler plate, which I understand changes from time to time. Ours included a delicious carrot crunch sandwich, a small ham and shredded Swiss sandwich on thin brown bread, a crab and cheese sandwich on a toasted English muffin half, garnished with watercress, and a chicken salad with almond chunks on raisin bread. All delicious. We each ordered a pot of tea--there's a large selection from which to choose. The sandwiches aren't large, but we found the serving size just right. Be sure to treat yourself with dessert - we chose the guilt-free route by splitting one dessert, consisting of two small melt-in-your-mouth scones with jam and Devonshire cream. Wonderful! The waitresses are pleasant, attentive, and knowledgeable. The manager stopped by to chat and made us feel welcome.
I enjoyed the china, tablecloths, and general atmosphere also.

2  Thank RLane_11
Reviewed June 26, 2014

While waiting for my husband to finish a business meeting I decided to do the self walk tour of Burton and discovered this building - beautiful Victorian built in 1891 with elaborate detail. On the first floor is Quintealia's Tea Parlor. I highly suggest reservations and maybe not dining alone. Even tho it was quite busy with a party of ladies filling up one entire room, there were several tables that were empty in the other two rooms. However, I was told that since I did not have reservations I was seated at the table next to the door that the wait staff constantly went in/out and you could hear the clanking of washing silverware. When I asked if it would be possible to have another table, I was put in my place again about the fact that I did not have a reservation. I felt a bit unwanted and wondered whether my solo status was a factor as well. However, the hostess did then relent and seated me in another room where I was able to read my book while enjoying what turned out to be a delightful service.
I ordered the full afternoon tea which consisted of an artful array of goodies presented on a 3 tired server. Top plate consisted of two small heart scones, tasty, light and delicate - yum, with devonshire tea and jam. Second plate held 4 half sandwiches of interesting combos like grapes/nuts/chicken or roastbeef/cheese/arugula. Final plate had about 7 luscious dessert bites including bread pudding held in a ceramic pot.
Regarding tea, I believe there were about 40 choices. If you are unsure what type to try the hostess offers education on the teas and also you can sniff the tea containers aroma. I knew I wanted one of the oolongs - ended up with the wuyi which was tasty and fresh. The loose tea is provided in a vintage pot with your own strainer. Hostess and owner asked quite a few times if I wanted my tea warmed and how everything was - so they ended up being attentive and nice.
When I commented on the beautiful decorating, the owner took the time to show me the original fireplace tiles in the front room, the framed photos of historical figures drinking tea and other little specialty touches. The ladies did a great job of making the rooms interesting and fitting. Each room has a different feel - old Victorian, bright and feminine or London travel room.
After finishing, take time to enjoy the stained glass windows as you proceed up the fine woodcrafted stairway to Valentine's Antiques - a few small rooms holding many varied treasures at reasonable prices. Loved the jewelry and pictures!
If I was in the area and with my girlfriends and was able to make a reservation, I would definately stop here again. All ln all, it was a delightful experience with delicious food lovingly made in an atmospheric environment. Enjoy!

2  Thank joyceTL4
Reviewed May 30, 2014

While staying at Punderson State Park, we were exploring the area around and found Quintealia's. We'd been walking for some time in the warm and humid air and I suggested we stop in for a pick-me-up. My husband had never been to a tea house, so I was a little concerned that he wouldn't want to go inside. He was willing! We first explored the upstairs which is full of Victorian era antiques for sale. Back downstairs, we inquired whether they had room for us as reservations are suggested and we had none. We were seated in the Bourbon and Cigars Room by one of the owners of Quintealia's. She put my husband at ease right away by telling us about the room, the day's menu, the availability of the bulk teas, and about the forthcoming tea ceremony. We didn't have anything more than a slice of mixed berry pie with Devonshire cream and a delicious pot of mint tea. We both enjoyed the atmosphere and hospitality afforded us. When we were outside, I asked my husband if he'd go back again, and he said he would. Next time we'd likely have a lunch, however.

2  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a quaint and lovely place to stop for a meal or a pot of tea. I was on a bus trip recently, and this was our lunch stop. The tables were beautifully set. The servers were efficient and courteous. I ordered the "sampler plate" which included soup, 4 tea sandwiches (cucumber and mint, tuna, chicken salad, and avocado/red roasted peppers on flatbread), and a pot of tea (select from 40 flavors) - cost was around $12. During our visit, a young woman stopped and asked if we needed anything. When I asked her about the unusual name of the place, she told me it was named after her grandmother - and it's a good story. I won't spoil it for you - you will have to go and hear it for yourself. There's a very nice antique shop upstairs that you won't want to miss, and a number of boutique shops in close proximity.

2  Thank sue r