“Horrible place to stay!!!”

HideAway Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bucyrus
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in this bed and breakfast and were told we would have dinner, a spa and several other things in the room when we got there, along with breakfast in the morning.
Once we arrived the lady at the desk said none of that was avaiable except the breakfast in the morning and her manager was gone and would be Back soon and we could talk to her about the accommodations.
The office then checked us in sent us to our rooms then locked the office door and we never spoke to the manager!
We asked the girl if smoking was allowed on the porch of the bed and breakfast? The front desk girl said yes on the porch you can smoke.
My husband smoked outside then in the morning I went to the porch and domped the ashes from the night before into the garbage bin and tied the bag up.
The next day I have a $250.00 dollar charge on my card from them saying we smoked in the room! That was not true we did as they told us and my husband smoked outside and ashes in the pail.
When I asked them why they thought we smoked in the room the only thing they said was " we have pictures of the window open and that's how we know know you were smoking in there!".
1st we didn't open the window and even if we did that doesn't mean we smoked in the room? That means maybe we weere hot? Maybe we like to sleep with the window open? But really that's why you charged my card $250.00????
They screamed at me on the phone then hung up on my and wouldnt answer when I called back. I called and put in a dispute with my credit card company and cancelled that change!
I would never go back to this place again!!!

Room Tip: Everyone is nasty at this hotel and it's dirty!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Racheltom051

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We booked the most expensive room, which we found out was in the basement. It smelled, and had spiders and bugs everywhere in the room! It must not have been cleaned in awhile! We waited an hour and a half for our dinner, and it tasted like a TV frozen dinner.We called for a different room and the owner was not polite. They finally moved us to a different room that was nicer, but still not worth the money. The breakfast was not any good either. Overall, do not stay here!!! You would be wasting your time and money.

• Stayed: August 2012
10  Thank guitars7625
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed in the Hunter's Den room, which I did love the room. Nice and cozy and the bed, sheets and pillows were very very comfortable. However, I did feel it was overpriced for the stay. They say satellite television but 90% of the channels were all infomercial channels. Our room did not have a dvd player or that would have made up for the lack of watchable channels on the television. The jacuzzi was perfect but the actual shower you only got hot water for about 10 seconds. The food was very good. I was impressed with that but you have to be prepared to eat whatever they make you for breakfast. Again, we did enjoy the privacy and the room but we felt it was overpriced for the stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brandy2424
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband of four months and I booked the Smith room for a weekend getaway for my birthday. We had an enjoyable time away. We had a few minor problems with our room but the staff was overly friendly to try to make our weekend just perfect. After reading so many negative reviews I was a little scared to get there but our trip was wonderful and I would book a room at the Hideaway again. The food while a little overpriced was delicious and breakfast was more than I could eat. Overall a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had booked the hideaway inn for 3 days for our first anniversary! It was absolutely spectacular.

Staff: Very friendly and accommodating... We are vegetarians ... The chef had gone an extra mile to make our meals yummy and creative! She was amazing!
Food : Very fresh, the candle light dinner was great. They did everything from scratch! And u will be surprised of the chef's capabilities! Chef Danica is absolutely brilliant.

African Suites: Very homey; and fun.

Room Tip: Pick Eagle's Nest or Africa Suite. Worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Abhishek1612
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Let's start with our room. The treehouse suite was awesome. The bed was one of the most comfortable ever with the softest sheets. Unfortunately, the people before us allowed their dog to pee on the area rug in the living room area and apparently didn't tell anyone cuz it was smelly. The b&b has well water that is very hard and stinky. The bathtub was awesome and huge and was a good ending after our couples massage. Good massage. Expensive but recommended.

The food was not great. Breakfast was good, but don't ask for it to be delivered. It costs $25 (I mistakenly asked for it both mornings) for them to put it in a basket and carry it up a flight of stairs. I paid more for that then the breakfast was worth. How was dinner, you ask? Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Don't bother. I ordered filet mignon with seasonal veggies and potatoes. Sigh. The greenbeans were thawed frozen (it is january but there are other choices) and very bland. The potatoes were inedible. I got a small amount of what seemed liked leftover homefries that were mostly burnt and hard as rocks. The meat was ok but I wouldnt eat it again. That was $36. My husband ordered the ahi tuna on a bed of risotto and veggies. The fish was ok, but the "risotto" was dry regular white rice that was pan fried. Strange. And again the green beans. That was $29. We left the dinner table hungry. That's bad. The server, jodi, was the only poor soul working the dining room. She could tell I was upset and spologized for the food. The "chef" eventually came out and gave me 2 pieces of red velvet cake to ease the pain. Um, yeah. Frozen red velvet cake. Gross. If you are going to call yourself a chef, cook. Don't heat up. I'm calling chef robert irvine, cuz this place needs some serious help in the food area.

The highlight of the trip was the wine snob class. I learned alot and it was actually fun. But there are no appetizers included in the $55 per person price as described on the website. We had small amounts of cheese and other things to learn about pairing. Debbie is very knowledgeable and was pleasant.

The staff was all of 3 people that I saw. Snobilee, the manager, was very sweet. She was quick to respond to emails and questions. Jodi, who has only been there a few weeks, was always there and super nice. She seems to do everything after normal business hours and everyone else leaves. She was our waitress for dinner saturday and then delivered our breakfast sunday morning. Upon check out, I told snobilee how disappointed I was in dinner, and she comped it, which was a surprise and highly appreciated. Both ladies we really nice, but im sure overworked and underpaid.

Overall, we wont go back. we love to travel and take little weekend getaways and this one has to be one of the worst places we've ever stayed and I was really disappointed in my choice. Sorry, hubby...hopefully you'll do a better job choosing the next place we go!

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank ncc369
InnkeeperOH, Manager at HideAway Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We are sorry you did not have a good experience. We tried very hard to help your husband plan a great escape. We wished you would have told the server to have the intern recook your dinner.

He said he had attempted to plan other escapes for you but it came down to the money he spent.

We are sorry he planned a great weekend and it did not fit into your budget.

Maybe his next attempt will work if you give him a budget to spend maybe suggestions as to where you would like to go.

We hope you have great trips. Please be sure to visit other bed and breakfast.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We spent 2 nights at this bed and breakfast and had a wonderful time. The customer service was outstanding. It makes to wonder if I will ever be satisfied by going to a regualar hotel. I was shocked by some of the negative reviews that I had read about this place. It is the perfect placed to go as a couple. I certainly would not bring children as it would change the whole experience. I plan to go back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to HideAway Country Inn? Share your experiences!