“Great Stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brook Park
Los Angeles, California
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The staff is very friendly and they work hard. The rooms are clean, and comfortable. I had no bugs in my room, not one! I really enjoy the free wi-fi as well as the cable tv since I'm in the room a lot. I also appreciate that the housekeeping doesn't just barge into your room (I've had that problem with other hotels). Also, great location, good breakfast, and clean pool! I watched them clean it. Overall it's a great stay at a good price. I'll be staying here again next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
La Mirada, California
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I would like to first off start by saying that I was looking for a cheap one night stay. My wife and I opted for the Howard Johnson because it seemed a few steps above a motel and didn't have the price of a big hotel chain. I guess in retrospect that we should have just paid a little more for the room.

My key problem was with the features of the hotel. We were not expecting much; just a safe place to shower and sleep.

1. We showed up and we were told that we would be getting a single bedroom on the first floor. This room was described as a newly remodeled non smoking room (room 120). On the exterior (we weren't expecting much) there was already one major problem - our window right in front of our room had a gigantic crack in it. I would have to say that it was at least 4 feet long.

2. We walked in the front door and at first glance was pleasantly surprised. It looked nice and clean and reasonably updated. As we took our first steps in we quickly realized that our door got suck on the carpet and wouldn't shut unless pulled, but no big deal. The major thing we noticed was the smoke type smell the was being masked by the fresh paint smell. That was a little gross since it was stated that thins was a smoke free room. It might be that it is but someone must have recently smoked in there. We don't smoke so it was hard to handle.

By the way, we have yet to complain.

3. In the room, we noticed that the newly furnished room had some issues. The main area were the bathroom. The bathroom was pretty bad. Sink was stained with what looked like cigaret burns. The toilet was dirty and the bathroom floors was as well. The worst of it all in there was the shower. I have to say that I have taken showers in some pretty sketchy showers while in high school years ago but this was pretty bad. There were a lot of stains in the shower, black hairs all around the borders (we both have blonde hair) and muck in the drains. I was so discusted by it that I put a washcloth down on the shower floor so I would have peace of mind of not getting athletes foot.

4. The worst was the false advertisement. What I mean by this is that the website as well as my confirmation papers said that there was a free airport shuttle. We found this not to be exactly true. We found that they were willing to pick us up from the airport and infact did. They were on time from when they said they would pick us up; that was great! We explained to our driver who worked for the hotel that we needed to use the shuttle to get back to the airport in order to use the Rapid to get to an Indians game. Robin, our driver, said that we could use the shuttle to get there and they could also pick us up as long as we called before midnight. She was very polite and very talkative. We liked her a lot. She said nothing about a fee for using the shuttle. When we decided to leave for the game we let her know and she was willing to take us right away. On the way out the owner, very nice but a bit money hungry, whispered to Robin that she needed to charge us for the shuttle ride. She took us to the airport and followed by saying that it would be a $5 fee. What!?! That's not right. We weren't told about that. We paid it and made sure to express our dissatisfaction with it. We figured that it was a small price to pay for a round trip shuttle to and from the airport. On our way home on the Rapid there was an accident and we were running late because of it. We called the hotel to request a shuttle at 11:57pm. Yeah I know it was late and we were very appreciative that they said they would come and get us. When they arrived, 10 minutes after they said they would be there, it was the owner that picked us up. He then kind of reprimanded us for requesting a shuttle saying that the shuttle closed at midnight. Mad that he said that we said that we did call before midnight for the pick-up. He drove us back and then proceeded to say "would you like me to charge your room or would you like to pay me now for the shuttle." This was a little much. I explained that we thought the fee was for a round trip shuttle and were never told about the fee as well as that their website offers and says a free shuttle. Tired from the long night I just paid it and went to bed.

I just have to say that I am glad that I am currently staying at a Holiday Inn Express and that it's very much worth the extra money. If you want to stay at HoJo's you can but be warned and good luck.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brook Park hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed August 17, 2012

1/ I waited over 45 minutes at the airport for the shuttle several time anounced in the next minutes
2/ the room was dirty and smelling very bad with a ridiculous tiny toilet sheet
2/ Terribly noisy as if you sleep in a paper house, with noise the all short night
3/ Only cold water in the shower
4/ Even the price was low (50$) , I would prefer to try to sleep into the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here on our recent family vacation to Cleveland and had a great experience. It was clean and the staff was super friendly and the service was great. No sign of bugs of any kind. The pool was kind of sketchy looking and we didn't swim for that reason, but that was fine as we didn't really have time to swim anyway. It wasn't super fancy and we did find the beds small, but it met our needs and it was a great deal and within 20 minutes of everything we wanted to see and easy to find. I would stay there again for sure.

1 Thank Misha726
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I have to pay the room with a lot of bed bugs inside. I ask to change the room in that night but front desk said it's not possible because sold out. My family were suffered in that night. I can not sleep in that night. I, my wife and my 2 kids were bitten by bed bugs.

• Stayed August 2012
Shepherdsville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Me and my four friends stayed here. Although the staff there were nice, polite and understanding, but however the pool was literally a green color that had algae and possible wild life growing in the damn thing. A few baby raccoon were found on the grounds by the pool. The electricity went out in our room in 323, we were then moved to room 305 and were told that the maid had cleaned up the room, well I hate being lied to cause the room looked like someone left it unclean and threw towels in the bathroom and it was just a mess, so I asked them to clean it up while we were gone to a Five Finger Death Punch concert, we were gone for nearly 10 hours, when we arrived back at the hotel, the room was NOT cleaned upon my request, I went downstairs told them what was going on, they apologized about but apologies are not actions, so we were able to get another room in 209, I checked it first, it was clean and had nothing wrong with it. The so called complimentary breakfast only consisted of stale cereal, toast and milk that tasted a little sour to my tastes. Howard Johnson Inn is NOT the place to be, the only thing they promised was Free Wi-Fi. If you booked a stay at the HJ Inn, cancel it and spend your money on a La Quinta or the Best Western across the street from it, cause you will be miserable there.

Room Tip: If you happen to make the same mistake as me and my friends, you are screwed. NO REFUNDS, EXCHANGE O...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2012

good staff and very clean rooms doing renovation for out side moving in right direction.
all amenities are there for good night sleep and have nice fitness room.breakfast is continental it was great for the price i paid for the hotel room.
great value for the money. only 15 minutes drive from cleveland casino.

Room Tip: ask for new rooms non smoking,
2 Thank Gordon A
Comfort Inn Cleveland Airport
#6 of 11 in Middleburg Heights
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Airport
Sheraton Cleveland Airport Hotel

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Cleveland Airport? Share your experiences!