“Loved it”

Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Bolivar
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fine casual dining in Zoar's original tavern and inn.
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Great eats, great atmosphere, great service. The outside patio is very relaxing and comfortable. The scallops were outstanding.

1  Thank Meighen M

Reviewed August 8, 2014

First of all, let me say that the inside of the Inn IS very beautiful, historical, perfect decor. The part I saw was also very small, with only 9 or 10 tables, the largest seating 4 people. There were stairs to a second floor, and I don't know if they also have seating upstairs. I would have asked, but I am on the shy and quiet side. Our greeter barked "how many!", "inside or out!". It was a beautiful afternoon, too early, really for a dinner crowd, so we chose "out".
"Follow that woman that just walked out the door, and she'll show you where to sit!" I took a moment to view the lovely interior, and by the time I got outside my husband was wandering unaccompanied to a table at the far side of the patio. Here's where the Canal Tavern gets a bit schizophrenic. There is an outside bar, with a tv, playing 70's rock, regular patio furniture, a small stage with a roof, and a cornhole game. Bye, bye, ambience.
Don't be fooled by the website. There are no earlybird specials. The "special" was prime rib for $17.99. There were four beers on draft available for $4 each that were good and came in a pretty glass. We got the sausage plate appetizer with "special sauce". It was ok, but not special. If you get a dinner, plan to spend 18-28 dollars. We got salads and I got the erbensuppe, pea soup. The soup was a cream-based puree, it was good. The salad was good, but not awesome. I was astonished to find three small, pale, store tomatoes in the middle of farm country during high tomato season. The salads looked thrown-together, not plated by a chef's staff.
My biggest complaint is that the service was little better than a truck stop. We were asked, "do you want bread?" "OK, I'll bring you some". It, like my soup was plunked into the middle of the table, so I had to reach for it and haul it in. The bread and butter were warm and excellent tasting. No one brought water, or offered it. The plates were white, square, and modern, not in keeping with an historical inn. Everybody acted angry or icy, and we didn't do anything to annoy them at all.
I had been looking forward to going there for a long time, I was disappointed.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I grew up in WI where there is a lot of german heritage and since moving to OH, I haven't really experienced much of that heritage! I loved smelling and eating the delicious German cooking and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We went last night with friends to the Canal Tavern and felt very welcome and comfortable there. Even though the weather wasn't ideal last night because it had just poured rain before we arrived and all the tables and chairs were wet, the staff was very accomodating and dried the table and chairs so we could still dine on the patio as planned. The men enjoyed the different beers that are offered and the ladies enjoyed the house wines which are reasonabily priced. We were given a special harvest menu since Zoar was having their annual harvest festival. The menu includes a lot of German food including the appetizers. There were two on the menu last night so we got one of each. When the appetizers arrived they looked artisian and reminded me very much of the way they are served in Europe. Everyone enjoyed their meals and John, the owner, came to check to be sure we liked everything. He is a very nice person and is sincere about making sure his guests enjoy their dining experience. After dinner we went inside and toured the tavern from the basement to upstairs and all the staff were very friendly and happy to show us around. (We saw George's picture but did not encounter him on our tour.) We had very enjoyable evening there and will definitely return. Can't wait to see it during fall and Christmas - just wish it were closer!

1  Thank joanietik
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This old canal house is so charming. Enjoy a cold beer and the old beams overhead. Just a great lunch.