“Just What I Wanted When I Wanted It”

Canal Tavern of Zoar
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Bolivar
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fine casual dining in Zoar's original tavern and inn.
Macedonia, Ohio
“Just What I Wanted When I Wanted It”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

After touring the Village of Zoar most of the day I wanted to sit down, try something different for dinner and be waited on.The Canal Tavern of Zoar was just the place located about a mile or less from the Village of Zoar at 8806 Towpath Road NE, Bolivar, Ohio 44612 (330) 874-4444. I tried the meatloaf and it was very different than any I've had before. The place was full on Saturday, August 3, 2013. The inside and the patio areas were full of customer so I had a choice of waiting of being seated at the bar. I chose the bar and I was not disappointed. My meal order arrived within a few minutes and the bartender David acted as my personal server and beverage master. I met the owner as he greeted the steady flow of customers. I'll be back the next time I am in town. Try the Canal Tavern of Zoar for yourself. I'll bet you will like it as much as I did.

• Visited August 2013

Buffalo, New York
“Great place to eat.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stopped at this restaurant on the reccomendation of the owners of the B and B we were staying at. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. This restaurant is well worth the stop if you are in the area. You definitely won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“A great experience to travel back in time - with great food!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After deciding on a Saturday visit to tour the historic Zoar Village, we now needed a place to eat a late lunch. A recommendation of this Canal Tavern was heard and we gave it a shot even though we had to drive a short way up a hill to it. What a great decision it was for the 4 of us. We opted for the outdoor patio and each ordered something different and they were all delicious - and might I add - totally reasonably priced. Large portions of Snitzle and dumplings, meatloaf wellington, bratworst and kraut and soup were in the $8.00 range. And please try the desserts - bread pudding and benets (fried donuts) and ice cream hit the spot.

We're hoping they can get their water feature cleaned out and running once more. Beware to those that have severe allergies in certain enclosed areas. The most beautiful interior that takes you back in time, could use a little more air circulation to make it perfect. This is a place you just have to try. I know our next visit to Zoar will include a stop at Canal Tavern, and this time for dinner.

• Visited July 2013
Canton, Ohio
“Dinner out in Zoar”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Canal Tavern was a recommended destination for a special anniversary dinner. What an excellent recommendation it was! The ribeye special dances circles around the traditional chain steakhouses, and the service was top-notch! We'll be back!

Visited June 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“Don't Miss Out of way place”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This delightful restaurant is off the beaten path, but a great little treasure in Zoar/Bolivar, Ohio area. It dates back to the early 1800's when people traveled on the Ohio Canal. You can't see the river from the restaurant, but it is truly delightful inside that oozes with charm. We ate outside on the patio, and it was a delightful day. Most of the food served is of a German flavor, and we had a delicious soup and salad. Salad had wonderful greens, crumbled blue cheese, crisp croutons. Soup was the German noodle and chicken. Simply yummy. Served with a warm roll and butter. Can't wait to return....

• Visited June 2013