“What a Great Place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Canal Tavern of Zoar
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Bolivar
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fine casual dining in Zoar's original tavern and inn.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

“Canal Tavern of Zoar (OH)”
Pending review

Since Jon Elasaser took over this restaurant in Zoar it has zoomed to the top of my chart. The setting is in a preserved 1829 well preserved building. The menu is great featuring many German dishes. I had the most wonderful Sauerkraut Balls as an appetizer. I also had the Tavern House Salad which included seasonal greens served with pickled red onions, tomato, tavern made croutons wedges, bleu cheese crumbles and house dressing. Since I think that bleu cheese tastes like someone pooped in my mouth, I had that on the side. My main course was Pork Schnitzel served over tavern spaetzle. Wow! For desert I enjoyed two beignets served with a smoked coffee and Towpath Honey tavern made ice cream.

All this for $35.00

I can't wait for this summer to visit again when I can sit on what promises to be an expanded deck next to the canal.

If you want the best server, ask for Sherry. I'm sure the others are great but it would be hard to surpass Sherry.

Look them up on http://www.canaltavernofzoar.com/

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were in Ohio and saw their ad on cable tv. We found the restaurant with the help of a GPS.
We had the wurst platter and the chicken schnitzel. Both dishes were served promptly and were very good. The staff was courteous and friendly. We plan to head back on our next visit.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had reservations on a Saturday night in February and were put right next to the door. It was very cold, as it is an old building which has been renovated except for original type features such as the door. The manager immediately realized how cold I was and brought a space heater to put at our table.
The server was attentive, polite, and helpful. We really thought this was going to be a more rustic place (like a pub) but the atmosphere was more upscale than I had expected. But jeans seemed to be the norm. Nice variety of menu selections and specials. Homemade breads and soups - wonderful! Food was better than average and had the German flair to it. I had a crusted meatloaf dish with potato pancakes that was really good. The dessert (beignet) needed something sweet with it like powdered sugar or a scoop of ice cream - but it was still good.
Our evening could have been a disaster due to the cold, but the manager saved the day! We will definitely be back - probably on our bikes as it is on the bike trail. Highly recommend!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I really wanted to like the place, but at the end of the meal all we could say was "where can we go for dessert." The atmosphere and decor were very nice but did not make up for meals that were below average in taste and above average in price. We were told they ran out of flat iron angus steak the nite before so I settled for the salmon and my husband opted for the 6 oz angus, both of which were small portions. He had an average salad and they brought a single roll and a soft pretzel. They placed my salmon on top of a potatoe pancake and the oil from the salmon skin bled into the potatoe and soured the taste. My husband's side was a german fried noodle of sorts and was flavorless. He would have liked some salt and pepper but those were not offered at the table. We just also think that if you are paying $15 and up for an entree, it should have a salad included. And baked potatoes should be standard sides for any steak dinner. So, we won't go back or recommend it to any of our friends.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

As visitors to Northeastern Ohio recently, my wife and I were pleasantly treated to a wonderful luncheon dining experience at the Canal Tavern of Zoar. The Chicken Schnitzel was the best I have had at any restaurant. The friendly service and period decor of the restaurant made this visit superb. Can't wait for a return visit.