“Nice hotel and even nicer staff”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Blue Ash
ohio
“Nice hotel and even nicer staff”
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I was very skeptical about staying at the Crowne Plaza in Cinci due to the fact that I found very limited review on this property. I was pleasantly suprised. Upon our arrival, the first thing that I noticed was that the grounds were very clean and attractive. I was pleasantly greeted at the front desk and check in was quick and efficient. I must say however, that I was disappointed in the size of my room. It felt very claustrophobic (King Bed Leisure Room). When I opened the door there was a small entrance way/closet area and then you were right inside of the room. (definately not worth $139 plus tax per night). Upon getting situated we decided to walk around the hotel and grab a bite to eat. As it was pretty late (almost 11p.m.) we thought that we would have to go out for food but we were graciously accomadated in the hotel restaurant by a gentleman named A.J. He made us feel very welcome and told us to order anything we would like off of the menu. I was also pretty suprised by the menu selection and prices, which were pretty standard and not overpriced. The food was good. A.J. also asked us how we were enjoying our stay and I advised A.J. that my only complaint was the size of my room. A.J. immediately took action without telling us and came back to our table with keycards to another much more acceptable room. All we had to do was move our things. A.J. had taken care of everything else. On the next day we enjoyed the lunch buffet at the hotel. The staff was very accomadating and friendly. The only thing that I would suggest is a little more training with housekeeping. We wanted to take a nap prior to attending the Jazz Festival but were unable to do so because our room was not cleaned until 5 p.m., after we had returned from taking in the city. The following day, our room was serviced earlier. However, housekeepiong only made the beds and replaced the towels. The sink, tub and toilet were not cleaned. Nor was the room vacuumed. However, overall, the staff was great. We had the opportunity to meet the hotel Manager and the Chef. Kudos to the staff (and especially A.J. that went out of thier way to make sure that we had everything that we needed or wanted. We were told that this particular property was previously a Clarion Hotel but had just been purchased by Crowne and had just gone thru a major renovation. The rooms were tastefully appointed and very clean. The public areas (pool, restaurant, bar, computer center and lobby were always clean and welcoming. When I am in the Cincinnatti area again, The Crowne Plaza will be my 1st choice for hotel accomodations.

• Liked — Clean nicely appointed public and private areas
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msrjp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Hotel is an older hotel. Staff is extremely friendly and professional
at your beck and call. Both times I stayed here they had a wedding going on in their grand ballroom (which can be broken down into smaller rooms) and there was some noise associated with it, but no more than normal. Our room faced the atrium with the pool, bar, and courtyard area which they use for functions. It is beautifully decorated with real and silk plants and has several raised and suken areas.

The rooms are clean and spacious with average hotel decor. Yes there are some worn elements and the carpet could be replaced, but from what I understand they are remodeling and perhaps changing flags. A shame since I enjoy the Clarion brand because it stands for full service at affordable pricing. One time I walked in without the intention of even staying in Cincinnati. We were tired and hoped to get a decent price, but a check of their central reservations said that they had few rooms left. Yet when I walked in and explained my budget situation, they were kind enough to get me a great price even though they were almost full and was able to get me a nonsmoking king
room. They also had laundry facilities where I was able to wash a few
of our garments overnight while my wife slept. I took advantage of their large business center to do some internet banking and used their ATM to withdraw some extra money.

Overall, we do like this hotel and hope in remains in the Choice Hotels family. If not, we may still take advantage because of the friendly staff.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NaptownTraveler
akron, oh
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in November because he had a conference at the Clarion. The hotel was indeed older but the staff was nice. Our phone was broken in the room but it didn't matter because we had cell phones. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but it appeared nice and reasonably priced. There is a Bob Evans right outside the hotel and down a hill. I asked for shopping in the area and was directed to Kenwood Mall. It was very very nice. Only a few exits down on I 71 South. Very easy to find and it kept me busy all day. Lots of restaurants. Also not far away (get directions) is Rockwood Commons an outdoor shopping area with great restaurants. Only about 10 mins away from the hotel. The best thing about this hotel was the location. One more thing was that we had a hard time controlling the temperature in the room. It seemed that either the air or the heat was on constantly. To get the loud fan to turn off while you slept you had to turn the unit off. That was a little annoying, but other than that I imagine that when this hotel is finished renovating the rooms, it will be very nice.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank akronohio
Columbus, OH
Reviewed November 9, 2006

The hotel is presently being remodeled and will eventually become a Crowne Plaza. That was just a minor inconvenience.
However, it seemed dark and dreary. The staff were welcoming but the experience wasn't.
And as a coffee lover, I can't get passed the fact that the coffeemaker in the room wasn't clean when I checked in and wasn't cleaned during my 2-night stay (and no coffee the 2nd day either).
The room was OK - basic (and dated) but clean. At least the Wi-Fi worked while I was there.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Semi-Retrd

Travelers are raving about these Blue Ash hotels

Dallas
Reviewed October 31, 2006

I have stayed here a couple times while traveling on business. The staff was friendly. The rooms were clean. The hotel was quiet.

My only complaint is that I could not get Wifi in my room. The manger explained that they had just changed providers and were having a few problems.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank MeTravel2U
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I found my stay at the Clarion far less than my expectation, largely due to cutting corners in nearly every service of the hotel. My baseline of comparison are chains like the Hampton Inn. Examples include:

- Breakfast - biscuits with gelatinous gravy slop, largely stale bagels, no yogurt, subpar fruit (outwardly rotten fruit on one day) - terrible when compared to a Hampton Inn

- Complimentary newspaper - only if up early enough to get 1 of about 20 available copies

- Internet - wireless not available on my arrival, no provision for hooking into DSL. Business "center" consists of 1 connected computer and a poorly functioning printer

- Shower - The shower head in our room came out at the 4 foot level. I am of average height, yet I still had to do a deep knee bend to wash my hair

- Pool was being serviced during my stay, which was fine because I was informed of this prior to my visit. However, the entire first floor of the hotel had a very heavy solvent smell for an entire day as a result of the pool being serviced.

Overall, I would not stay there again. While I think the staff could potentially function fine, to my eye, they are not given the resources or facilities to do so.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Terry080360
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 21, 2005

We just needed some time away from home and made use of a coupon we had. It is a wonderful place to stay in. Room looked clean and organised. The customer service was awesome. Hotel is really close to a lot of restaurants. Will definitely recommend to my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Ash
Wingate by Wyndham Cincinnati/Blue Ash
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati Blue Ash
Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - Northeast (Blue Ash)
Best Western Plus Hannaford Inn & Suites
Hyatt Place Cincinnati/Blue Ash
Red Roof Inn Cincinnati Northeast - Blue Ash

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash? Share your experiences!