“Nice hotel”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Blue Ash
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stay at the Crowne Plaza a few times a year when the weather is bad because my company is right around the corner. The staff and rooms are nice and the breakfast isn't that bad either, which is not included in the price. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Danny H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Mullinscincy:
Thank you for reviewing the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Blue Ash. I realize that you were probably staying with us due to the harsh weather we have been experiencing this winter. We look forward to seeing you again when the need arises. I will pass your comments along to the rest of the Crowne Plaza staff. Thank you for giving us a very positive rating. Best. Danny Hill, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 11, 2014

IMO, this hotel earns a solid 3 stars, and could possibly eek out 3 1/2. Crown Plaza's website gives this hotel 4/5 stars supposedly based upon user reviews, as did a few other hotel review websites. IMO, that's a bit high.

I arrived, got checked in right away by the friendly attendant at the front desk and she explained that, if I wanted to park at an entrance closer to my room, I could pull my car around to door A and enter there, rather than going through the lobby. Since it was FREEZING cold on the day I was here, I ran back out to my car, pulled around, scored a spot directly in front of door A, grabbed my paperwork from the back seat and my luggage from the trunk, froze my butt off while walking up to "door A" and of course, none of my room keys would get me into that door, I just got red lights on the card reader.

So off I moved as quickly as I could back to the lobby with my luggage in one hand and some business paperwork in the other before I froze. My room was on the second floor, so I began searching for an elevator. There are none in the lobby area and there were none in the area where my room was located. It turns out that you need to walk through the large, expansive but covered central atrium/courtyard area that contains a restaurant, bar and swimming pool, and on the opposite side of the hotel from the lobby and my room, there are 2 sets of elevators. One takes you up to the 2nd floor of the new section of this hotel where you need to then use a staircase to get back to the section where my room was located, or there's another elevator where you'll take a ramp over to the original hotel building and then another set of stairs to reach the 2nd floor of the original section of this hotel where my room was...A bit disjointed to say the least, and this means the rooms on the second floor of the original section are NOT recommended for the elderly, handicapped or those with lots of luggage as it's impossible to avoid using stairs to get there.

It looked to me like this must've been an old hotel, had been renovated and someone attempted to polish up an old property and added additional rooms and a roof. Turns out I was right. When I got to my room, I grabbed the hotel directory and read that the original section of this hotel was built in 1969 and opened as a Ramada Inn. In 1980, the newer sections of the hotel were added, as was the roof over the once outdoor pool and restaurant; this created the covered courtyard/atrium area that's now in the center of this hotel. This property became a Best Western in the 1990s, a Clarion in the 2000s, and in 2007 it was renovated to the best of their ability and became the Crowne Plaza it is today.

Now that that's out of the way, here's my summary: Staff are all very friendly and all spoke to me whenever I passed them. The rooms and hallways are freshly decorated and modern looking, but the rooms are quite small, and the lack of elevators and the disjoint between the old and new sections which are supposedly on the same floor is a joke. Furnishings, bedding, draperies and A/C unit in the room looked newer, as did the granite countertops in the bathroom, but several of the ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom were cracked, the grout was filthy and stained and the bath tub had been touched up with paint in places. They offer free WiFi which you'll use a code they'll give you at the desk to access, but it was a bit slow, even at off-peak times. The restaurant here is acceptable with an OK variety. Sandwiches with chips are $7-9 on average. I had a blackened salmon salad, cup of soup and a soda. The piece of fish that was on my salad was quite large and the total cost of the meal was $17 before tip which was reasonable. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, all of them appeared to be chains. They have an acceptable business services area with 2 computers and an OK gym with enough equipment for maybe 2 or 3 people to use at the same time if one does strength training while the others do cardio. You can also use the fitness and health center across the street if you purchase a $10 pass here at the hotel.

As mentioned, 3 stars, maybe 3 1/2. I booked this room through Priceline, so I paid less than the normal rate that's quoted through one of the hotel booking sites. Had I paid full price, I'd have expected more...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jamesjocobs78:
Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Blue Ash. I apologize if our card reader was not working and any other discomforts that you may have experienced during your stay. Our front desk Associates ask every guest who is checking in if they would like luggage assistance. All of our handicap accessible rooms are either on the first floor or easily accessible from one of our three (3) elevators. I am pleased to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating to your needs. Thank you again for writing a review. Danny Hill, General Manager
Middletown, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here for an overnight stay had two breakfasts and two lunches and one dinner. The Food was Always Very tasty and fresh. The Whole Hotel was very clean at all times, no strange smells anywhere like some Hotels. The bed was comfortable and the shower had good pressure and was nice and Hot. Nice and quiet. Although their were several groups staying there. Overall a great experience so I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Tina C
Danny H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Tina C:
Thank you for having confidence in our culinary team to eat five meals in our hotel during your recent stay. I will pass your remarks along to the culinary team as well as the serving team. Also pleased to hear that your bed was comfortable and that the shower pressure was good along with hot water. Please visit with us again if you happen to return to the Blue Ash area. Regards - Danny Hill, General Manager
Marshall, Illinois
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our bed looked bad as soon as we lifted the covers, it sagged in the middle . My husband ended up in the middle and I had a stressful night trying to stay up on the edge. We should have asked for a different room, but we didn't get in till 2:30 am from the casino and didn't want to change rooms at that time and not knowing how the rest of our groups beds were sleeping, didn't know if they would have been any better! The next morning we found out the rest of the groups beds were fine. The breakfast buffet was very good including fresh fruit! So other than our bad bed the rest of the stay was good.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in room 684, if you stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DMONTGOMERY2014
Dear DMontgomery:
Thank you for taking your time to comment about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Blue Ash. I went to the room that you occupied after reading your comments. I was a little surprised about your comments concerning your bed as all of our beds were replaced at the same time with Serta Perfect Sleeper Emerald Suite Elite beds. Upon further investigation, we found that the bed frame was in fact broken and this was most likely causing the bed to sag. We installed a new bed frame and the bed looks and feels as it should with no sagging. I cannot thank you enough for bringing this to my attention so that we could get the problem taken care of. Your comments were accurate and we take these matters very seriously. I will be glad to refund your room and tax charges for the one night you stayed here, or provide you with a comp room for one night if you have reason to come to the area again. Please let me know via phone or email and I will get this taken care of. Thanks again for letting us know. Danny Hill - General Manager 513-793-4500 or dhill@cpcincinnati.com.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here one night while transiting Cincinnati. The hotel has free parking unlike downtown, big plus if you’re just driving through. It is directly off of I-71, so it is very easy to get to. We received a very good rate and felt it was a good value overall. The room was fine and clean. The common spaces of the hotel seem a bit dated, which I have found to be the case with other suburban Crown Plazas over the years. Bottom line: I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Danny H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear JNPnPit:
Thank you for taking time out of the busy holiday season to write a review of the Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash. I agree with you that free parking is a great perk. I will pass along your comments to the rest of the staff of the hotel. Happy Holidays - Danny Hill, General Manager
Erwin, Tennessee
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Our Associational office visited Cincinnati this past Monday and Tuesday, December 16-17 for possible mission partnerships. It was wonderful! The beds are very comfortable, the service is phenomenal, and the staff was very courteous and helpful! They allowed us to use meeting rooms and also made sure that we had everything we needed! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Crystal B:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Blue Ash. I am pleased to hear that the entire staff exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon. Best regards, Danny Hill, General Manager
Middle Tennessee
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was with a group when we stayed at this hotel. The room was very comfortable and everything was very clean. The buffet breakfast was included with the room and it was good and included a variety of breakfast items. The service was also excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Danny H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Jackie C:
Thank you for commenting about your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Blue Ash. Erin, Heidi, Curtis, Mark and Randy have all received accolades via the Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental Hotels Group "One Step Ahead" program for the outstanding service they provided for you and your husband. I apologize for the sheets not being soft enough. Our new bedding package includes 250 thread count sheets. I have made our housekeeping department aware so they can make sure the sheets are being laundered properly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Hope to see you again. Regards - Danny Hill, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Ash
Wingate by Wyndham Cincinnati/Blue Ash
Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - Northeast (Blue Ash)
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati Blue Ash
Red Roof Inn Cincinnati Northeast - Blue Ash
Best Western Plus Hannaford Inn & Suites
Hyatt Place Cincinnati/Blue Ash

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Cincinnati Blue Ash? Share your experiences!