“~Well Worth The Investment!~”

Donna's Premier Lodging
Ranked #1 of 10 Berlin B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2014

A last minute change of plans took us to Donna's, per a recommendation from a friend. Since I called the day of arrival we did save money on a last minute booking for a one night in a villa. Wow, we were pleasantly surprised! From the staff, to the landscaping, to the décor, to the linens, and the surround sound, absolutely amazing!!!! Our one night stay wasn't enough, but we took what time we had away from the busyness of everyday life with 4 children and made it magical. I've come to this conclusion....We all invest in our homes, cars, jobs, schools, churches, and children, why not invest in your relationship with your spouse? It's well worth the investment!

The continental breakfast was nice, although the "breakfast in bed" certainly sounds nice next time! ($10 pp. delivered to your door)
We loved the location of the villas, a very short walk to the office and to downtown Berlin. We walked to the restaurant for pie in the evening. Beautifully landscaped makes the walk enjoyable to the office for usage of the DVD's, and the continental breakfast.
*Two items I didn't care for: One was the "ticking clock" in the kitchen. That's all I could hear in the middle of the night, which was a constant reminder that our time together was ticking away.
A better suggestion would be pull the battery out (which I did) and put a sign on it..."On this day, time stands still." Of course if you needed to really know what time it was, a clock is located on the night stand.
Another suggestion would be for a shade that could be drawn on the sky light above the bed. Although, beautiful at night, not so nice at 6 AM.
Would I go back~absolutely can't wait!

Room Tip: I loved being within walking distance to downtown Berlin.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had my honeymoon here and can't wait to go back.
The place looked amazing, the breakfast was exquisite, a great value for my money. The wine and strawberries also were great.
I also loved the sincere, and lovely attention given to us by the staff.
Loved the space and the stores.
Parking was not that great.
And GPS don't give u the right direction, but other than that it was all amazing.
My husband and I are planing a new getaway for a couple of days and we will be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Loved it all! Book here... You won't go wrong. We stayed in Romancing The Stone cabin . Secluded, quiet, clean, really cool waterfall right in the unit! I sat in the heart shaped pool, sipped wine and watched and listened to this waterfall . SO romantic! I asked for a last minute in cabin massage and two hours later... I was on a table next to my own personal waterfall! The owner Donna took care of me personally on a Sunday night before Memorial Day . I asked.. I got! Great service , and did I mention a HOT and yummy breakfast delivered right to my door at the time I wanted it? It was better than any restaurant! Baked oatmeal , egg strata, home fries, fantastic fresh fruit, a homemade cheesecake muffin! Oh my goodness!! Delish!! It was all it was cracked up to be, I promise!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I have been wanting to stay at Donna's for a while, but with our busy schedules have never been able to find the right time. We finally had some free time, and we decided to book their 'Best' and most expensive cabin.....Romancing the Stone. After reading all the fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor, we were looking very forward to our stay. Unfortunately, our experience was not a pleasant one. In fact, our experience was so dismal, we will never return. Below are the pros and cons from our experience:

Pros:
~Clean cabin (no b. bugs)
~Spacious cabin
~Friendly staff
~Quiet and private setting
~Jacuzzi tub for 2
~Unique waterfall in cabin
~Kitchenette and Grill
~Near downtown Berlin
~Restaurant delivery available

Cons:
~Insufficient A/C unit. When we arrived at the cabin, the thermostat was set at 78 degrees (it was a hot day). We keep our home between 70-72 degrees, which is the preferred temperature range for the majority of people we know, including my parents who are both in their seventies. Seventy-eight degrees was completely unacceptable for welcoming guests to a high-end B&B. To make matters worse, the A/C unit was too underpowered to cool this three-story cabin. It took eight hours for the A/C to lower the temperature five degrees. We literally sat still, on the couch, wearing little clothing, sweating. This certainly did not make for a 'romantic' stay. It was so miserably hot, that we got little sleep, and one of us ended up sleeping on the couch in order to prevent transference of body heat. The second story was roughly five degrees warmer than the first story, and the third story was roughly five degrees warmer than the second story. The bedroom was located on the third (and hottest) floor. To add insult to injury, the two ceiling fans located on the third floor were not in good working order. One of the fans only had a very slow, single speed. The other fan would wobble and make noises when set on high. Shortly after arriving and observing that is was 78 degrees inside the cabin, my husband and I closed all of the curtains and turned off all unnecessary lights in order to try and help the place cool down. This seemed to have little to no effect on the situation. For a cabin, which clearly has A/C issues, my husband and I found it in rather poor taste that primarily incandescent light bulbs were used in this cabin. Incandescent light bulbs are known for generating excess heat. LED and/or CFL light bulbs should be deployed throughout this cabin in order to reduce heat, as well as energy consumption. What is the point of paying top dollar for a romantic escape when it is too hot to be truly romantic?

~The WiFi was a joke. Despite testing the WiFi on all three floors, in multiple locations, we could only get one bar of WiFi signal. My husband and I are not individuals who would describe themselves as needing to 'stay connected' at all times. However, we had a very good reason to use the WiFi, and the weak signal prevented us from being able to do so.

~Poor Design. The first floor of the cabin contains the Jacuzzi, the waterfall, and an oversized chair/tv area. The second floor of the cabin had a living room, kitchenette, counter/dining area, fireplace, and bathroom with shower. The third floor of the cabin had the bed and a TV. This means if you want to use the Jacuzzi, you have to climb stairs; if you need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you have to climb stairs. While climbing stairs is great exercise, it is unpleasant climbing often in 78 degrees.

If it weren't for the fact that the cabin itself was nice, and the staff were friendly, I would have given this property a one rather than a two. Had the A/C worked sufficiently, I would have given this property a four. I review hotels and B&Bs frequently. The majority of my reviews are favorable. When I give a negative review, it is well deserved. I believe that the majority of Donna's Premier Lodging cottages, villas, and cabins are either single or two story. Most likely, the A/C units are sufficient. However, my husband's and my experience was so negative that we have no desire to find out.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on Romancing the Stone unless you like the heat!
12  Thank Chops1971
DPL44610, Owner at Donna's Premier Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

First of all, let me say I regret deeply that your experience was less than satisfactory. I strive diligently to make our 17 accommodations relaxing for couples to spend quality time together. Unfortunately, neither I nor any of our staff was aware of your concerns. Given the opportunity, hopefully we could have quickly addressed your concerns to your satisfaction. I fully understand the frustration and inconvenience of being in a room that is not cooling efficiently. I wish so much I would have been able to address this issue during your stay.

Our guests are the heart of our business! I always have and will continue to strive to accommodate their needs. We have scheduled a service company to check the central air conditioning; it may be that the coolant is low. The central air has always been sufficient to cool the cabin, even in extremely humid, hot temperatures. I have contacted IT to see if one of the Wi-Fi repeaters are down or not functioning correctly. We have several repeaters scattered throughout the woods. With the severe storms, it may have knocked service out to one of the repeaters. At the beginning of the year we started replacing incandescent bulbs with the LED bulbs in our 17 units. We replace the incandescent bulbs when they burn out with LED bulbs but, maybe I need to look into replacing them before they burn out.

Over the past 23 years I have enjoyed serving thousands of guests and am grateful to many customers for their repeat patronage. I will continue to strive to make each guest’s stay enjoyable and relaxing.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We have been coming to Donna's to celebrate our anniversary for the past 16 years. As always, our stay was exceptional. The Chalet we stay in is absolutely beautiful! We were pleasantly surprised to see some of the updates this year, such as new décor, flat screen TV's and also WiFi. There is not a single bad thing that I can say about this beautiful retreat in the woods. The staff is wonderful, and it is always a relaxing and renewing getaway for us. Thank you Donna's!

Room Tip: We love the Chalets and Cabins in the woods. Very private and relaxing.
2  Thank Tripletmom01
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had an enjoyable time celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary in Bridal Suite #1. The layout and the atmosphere was awesome! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Donn is phenomenal! She was very cordial and assisted us patiently with our needs/concerns. we also enjoyed our conversation at breakfast with David who humorously calls himself Mr Donna. We definitely will return!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank Robert and Hele... T
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Donna's. To say we can't wait to go back is an understatement. We loved it there and have referred several friends. Best getaway we have ever had !!!!!!! The staff was amazing. The chalet we stayed in was exactly what we were needing.

• Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Berlin Resort
Zinck's Inn
Zinck's Inn
#3 of 5 in Berlin
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dover

Been to Donna's Premier Lodging? Share your experiences!