“Interesting and well worth the money”

Amish and Mennonite Heritage Center
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Berlin
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I usually share my own opinion, but in this case, I am sharing the consensus of 6 close members of our family who all went together to the Center. The highlight is a huge diorama depicting the history of the Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite people. Berlin, where this is located is the centerpiece of the Ohio Amish country and this area is home to the largest population of Amish in the country. The center and particularly the diorama focuses on the development of the sects and emphasizes the suffering and torture they endured for their beliefs. Our group seemed to really enjoy the presentation. Some, like myself. may find it a bit heavy on these aspects, but there is no denying the artwork, passion and suffering that is depicted in the diorama. Seeing others so engaged and clearly fascinated by the story being unfolded as we moved around the diorama was rewarding in it's own right. I would have preferred a bit less emphasis on the religious persecution and bit more on the cultural aspects personally, but I believe I was definitely in the minority of our group. The cost is quite reasonable and the time investment is not huge. I think anyone traveling to the area would definitely enjoy and learn from a visit to this center.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is one of the first places you should go when you get to Ohio Amish country in order to understand the Amish people and what they stand for. The Bahalt mural is explained by a knowledgable guide and the time is well worth it if you are to have an understanding of the people. The mural tells beginning till today history along with the guides narrative. Also there is a short film about the area and the staff will answer any questions you ask. Start here first if you can.

1  Thank Ken T
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We really enjoyed the Behalt and particularly the guided tour of the 'painting'. Hearing the heritage of the Amish people from an Old Order Amish man was extremely interesting.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The orator of the day was amazing. You should not miss this "attraction." The history, the painting, the meaning - it was overwhelming. We enjoyed the school building and learning about the education the Amish children receive. Don't miss this exhibit.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the most important stop you can make in Amish/Mennonite country and Mark, the gentleman who talks you through the cyclorama does an excellent job. Don't miss this stop on your tour.

2  Thank McBible