“Fun for the whole family”

Comfort Inn Splash Harbor
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bellville
Ashley, Ohio
“Fun for the whole family”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I was hesitant about staying here because of the bad reviews, but we wanted to take the kids to a hotel to swim anyway, so we went for it. All in all it wasn't bad. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are average, nothing fancy, but clean. It does not have an elevator so first floor rooms are your best bet. The kids 8 and 2 had an absolute blast at the pool and the game room.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed April 22, 2012

accommodations were acceptable given the location, but numerous things warrant noting here. First, in the swimming pool area, they had a nice size whirlpool. However, when we informed the front desk and pool "monitor" that the whirlpool wasn't running, we were informed that it can't run when the children's water fountains are operating.....really? Second, we returned on Saturday night at 9:30 PM to find our room hadn't been cleaned yet. After informing the front desk we were offered to have cleaning staff return to the hotel yet that night and clean OR receive clean towels and a 20% discount for that night. Given the late hour and additional inconvenience that would be involved having cleaning staff return at 10:30 at night, we accepted the 20% discount. However, when I went to check out the next morning, I was informed the owner changed his mind due to a miscommunication between him and his staff. Making matters worse, he didn't call me himself to advise me of this himself, nor would he accept phone calls from his staff to address the matter, further inconveniencing me and delaying my departure. If I ever have to return to this area, I'd definitely choose either Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: go to the Hampton Inn....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KevinWyndham
Lockport, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Appears to be an older hotel, 2 floors and no elevator. It is reasonably clean. It is geared for families so it is a bit noisey. Breakfast was good and the staff friendly. Plenty of large vehicle parking

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank geezer_11
Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

We went for one night at a discounted rate with an online deal, it was okay for that price, but would never go at the normal rate. Very friendly front desk girls and the pool slide were the best features. The game room should have cheaper games also, they would make way more money!!

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Sabrina A
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed at Splash Harbor with a few other groups of family for a weekend at the water park. We spent 1 night there last year and decided to make it a weekend this year. It is a pretty small Comfort Inn, and it isn't by any means fancy. Last year we also had a problem with rooms not being ready at check in time - we had to wait until 6pm which was really inconvenient. This year we didn't have that problem, but while we hurried to get packed up and check out by 11:00am on Sunday, they said "oh, on Sunday you don't have to check out until 2pm." This would have been nice to know before we were packing up like maniacs.

The lobby area is OK and the breakfast room was nice enough, but the seating is really limited and there were so many people camped out in there (not eating at the time) that we ended up taking breakfast back to the room both mornings. Be aware that if you are on the second floor, there isn't an elevator - you are taking the steps!! (unpleasant surprise, especially since we were travelling with someone that needed a hip replaced!)

Last year when we went, there was a gate that separated the kiddie pool from the rest of the main seciton of the pool. This year it was missing. You can see visible dirt and things that you can tell just aren't wiped down on a regular basis.There was also a rope that sectioned off an area at the bottom of the water slide that was missing this year. (and trust me, there were plenty of people that got smacked because they stood at the bottom of the slide when people came down!) There are a couple fixed floating things in the pool that look like there is algae growing on the underneath side of them. (unfortunately we saw this right before we left! Ugh!!) There is definitely a lack of maintenance that we noticed from one year to the next. The hotel was filled to capacity on Saturday night and there were never enough hotel provided towels available, so take some beach towels!!

They don't staff lifeguards - just a "pool attendant" that pretty much is in charge of washing / drying towels. There were young adults tearing through the place knocking over little kids every step of the way - not a word was ever said by any of the pool attendants that we saw the entire weekend. They also ignored the fact that there were clearly people under age 18 in the adult hot tub (that specifies 18 and over). I don't know how on earth they can get away with not having lifeguards on duty.

There is a section of restrooms in the pool area that you can use after you check out (or before checkin) to change, etc, but the quality and cleanliness is really poor. I refused to go in there and always dragged the kids back to the room when they had to go.

The rooms are outdated. New this year was the microwave and fridge, which was nice to have, but they could really stand to do more of a face lift to the hotel. This was definitely a place that I didn't want the kids to take off their socks and run around barefoot in the room.

Our kids (ages 2 and 4) are real fish and love the water, so they had a blast. Being steps from a pool in the middle of winter was nice. The hotel is pet friendly with a limited number or pet designated rooms being available, and we did take our dog. No issues there. The size of the water park (really just a fancy pool, splash zone and a couple hot tubs) is nice for smaller kids because everything is contained to 1 room, so keeping track of them is fairly easy compared to what others that have gone to larger waterparks have told me!

If the cleanliness was there, we would go back. We will be going elsewhere for our mid-winter getaway next year.

Room Tip: Specify the first floor unless you want to take the steps! Ends of the hallway that have windows tha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AmyRodey
Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed February 23, 2012

They were understaffed but everyone was friendly.
Check in time is suppose to be 3 pm. We arrived @2:30 pm and had to wait til after 4 pm for our room to be ready. I booked a room w/queen size beds and was given a room w/full size beds. The t.v. had fuzzy reception but everything else was decent. I also thought the bathroom was nice and bigger then most hotel bathrooms that I've stayed in. The room was clean and comfortable.
My 4 kids LOVED the pool area (ages 2-12) and I enjoyed the spa. However the pool area was packed and no towels were available.
I am going to stay at the hotel again but on a week day. Hopefully my room will be ready on time and the pool area will be less crowded.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HeatherB587
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Hi, I'm a long-time TripAdvisor user/contributor, and I haven't written a review for a while, but I felt obliged to write a good review for this place after our stay last night. When I looked the place up just now, I couldn't believe that some recent reviews were so negative. Perhaps inconsistency is an issue, but we could not tell from our experience. For a young family, this place was the absolute perfect place to stop on the way home from visiting family out of state. The room was nice, no cleanliness issues. The price was well worth it (under $100 with discount). The continental breakfast was simple but very good, and the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. The water park is really what made the whole experience. It is not a full water park... but it beats the heck out of a regular hotel swimming pool! It's got a kiddie pool, regular pool w/ twisty water slide for kids, 2 hot tubs, and a play area with water coming from up high and down low. It's not the water park you drive 3 hours to visit, but if you can get a late checkout and spend a couple hours playing with the kids after breakfast and before the drive home, it is absolutely perfect. We plan to visit again. Too bad not everyone had such a great experience, but we'll be back!

Room Tip: If you plan to sleep in, ask for a room that is not adjacent to the water park, as it gets noisy fai...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank considerthis24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellville
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center Bellville
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Holiday Inn Mansfield Conference Center
Best Western Richland Inn-Mansfield

Been to Comfort Inn Splash Harbor? Share your experiences!