“Kids had a Blast, But cleanliness not a strong suit”

Comfort Inn Splash Harbor
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bellville
Cleveland, Ohio
“Kids had a Blast, But cleanliness not a strong suit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed at Splash Harbor with a few other groups of family for a weekend at the water park. We spent 1 night there last year and decided to make it a weekend this year. It is a pretty small Comfort Inn, and it isn't by any means fancy. Last year we also had a problem with rooms not being ready at check in time - we had to wait until 6pm which was really inconvenient. This year we didn't have that problem, but while we hurried to get packed up and check out by 11:00am on Sunday, they said "oh, on Sunday you don't have to check out until 2pm." This would have been nice to know before we were packing up like maniacs.

The lobby area is OK and the breakfast room was nice enough, but the seating is really limited and there were so many people camped out in there (not eating at the time) that we ended up taking breakfast back to the room both mornings. Be aware that if you are on the second floor, there isn't an elevator - you are taking the steps!! (unpleasant surprise, especially since we were travelling with someone that needed a hip replaced!)

Last year when we went, there was a gate that separated the kiddie pool from the rest of the main seciton of the pool. This year it was missing. You can see visible dirt and things that you can tell just aren't wiped down on a regular basis.There was also a rope that sectioned off an area at the bottom of the water slide that was missing this year. (and trust me, there were plenty of people that got smacked because they stood at the bottom of the slide when people came down!) There are a couple fixed floating things in the pool that look like there is algae growing on the underneath side of them. (unfortunately we saw this right before we left! Ugh!!) There is definitely a lack of maintenance that we noticed from one year to the next. The hotel was filled to capacity on Saturday night and there were never enough hotel provided towels available, so take some beach towels!!

They don't staff lifeguards - just a "pool attendant" that pretty much is in charge of washing / drying towels. There were young adults tearing through the place knocking over little kids every step of the way - not a word was ever said by any of the pool attendants that we saw the entire weekend. They also ignored the fact that there were clearly people under age 18 in the adult hot tub (that specifies 18 and over). I don't know how on earth they can get away with not having lifeguards on duty.

There is a section of restrooms in the pool area that you can use after you check out (or before checkin) to change, etc, but the quality and cleanliness is really poor. I refused to go in there and always dragged the kids back to the room when they had to go.

The rooms are outdated. New this year was the microwave and fridge, which was nice to have, but they could really stand to do more of a face lift to the hotel. This was definitely a place that I didn't want the kids to take off their socks and run around barefoot in the room.

Our kids (ages 2 and 4) are real fish and love the water, so they had a blast. Being steps from a pool in the middle of winter was nice. The hotel is pet friendly with a limited number or pet designated rooms being available, and we did take our dog. No issues there. The size of the water park (really just a fancy pool, splash zone and a couple hot tubs) is nice for smaller kids because everything is contained to 1 room, so keeping track of them is fairly easy compared to what others that have gone to larger waterparks have told me!

If the cleanliness was there, we would go back. We will be going elsewhere for our mid-winter getaway next year.

Room Tip: Specify the first floor unless you want to take the steps! Ends of the hallway that have windows tha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AmyRodey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Mansfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

They were understaffed but everyone was friendly.
Check in time is suppose to be 3 pm. We arrived @2:30 pm and had to wait til after 4 pm for our room to be ready. I booked a room w/queen size beds and was given a room w/full size beds. The t.v. had fuzzy reception but everything else was decent. I also thought the bathroom was nice and bigger then most hotel bathrooms that I've stayed in. The room was clean and comfortable.
My 4 kids LOVED the pool area (ages 2-12) and I enjoyed the spa. However the pool area was packed and no towels were available.
I am going to stay at the hotel again but on a week day. Hopefully my room will be ready on time and the pool area will be less crowded.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HeatherB587
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Hi, I'm a long-time TripAdvisor user/contributor, and I haven't written a review for a while, but I felt obliged to write a good review for this place after our stay last night. When I looked the place up just now, I couldn't believe that some recent reviews were so negative. Perhaps inconsistency is an issue, but we could not tell from our experience. For a young family, this place was the absolute perfect place to stop on the way home from visiting family out of state. The room was nice, no cleanliness issues. The price was well worth it (under $100 with discount). The continental breakfast was simple but very good, and the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. The water park is really what made the whole experience. It is not a full water park... but it beats the heck out of a regular hotel swimming pool! It's got a kiddie pool, regular pool w/ twisty water slide for kids, 2 hot tubs, and a play area with water coming from up high and down low. It's not the water park you drive 3 hours to visit, but if you can get a late checkout and spend a couple hours playing with the kids after breakfast and before the drive home, it is absolutely perfect. We plan to visit again. Too bad not everyone had such a great experience, but we'll be back!

Room Tip: If you plan to sleep in, ask for a room that is not adjacent to the water park, as it gets noisy fai...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank considerthis24
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

Where do I start? The lobby, the rooms, the water park, EVERYTHING, covered with a layer of dirt and slime! It's disgusting! Aside from how dirty it was, there was only 2 lifeguards watching over a 1 and 1/2 football field sized water park (I wouldn't call it a water park... only has 1 slide and a pool with floaty things, although I expect that at a Comfort Inn)! The rooms were outdated and the toilet wasn't working when I got up to use it at 2 IN THE MORNING! I had to walk all the way down to the lobby restroom and when I walked to the front desk to report the problem there was nobody there and the lights were off (I thought they were a 24 hour hotel?). The restaurant's food was inedible as it tasted like it was prepared by monkeys!!!!!!! Until this hotel makes some MAJOR improvments I will not be returning and I will not be recommending this hotel to ANYONE! THANKS ALOT Splash Harbor for the WORST hotel experience I've ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hoho7199
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Not sure why there such harsh reviews for this place. Listen to the good ones!!!
I was skeptical after reading mixed reviews.. but we wanted to get away for the night and let our child swim and stay close to home.
I'm so glad we stayed here!
First off the location was great! not too far for us to go. Not far if you want to go to Cleveland or Columbus or Amish Country .. loved not being in a crowded area but still near stuff. Walmart, gas stations, restaurants all close by.
The hotel itself was nice. Lobby was comfortable...check in staff was VERY nice and friendly.
I will admit that it can be annoying getting around... I don't mind that there are no elevators.. it's only 2 floors.. but you have to walk all the way down the first hall to get to the stairwell to the second floor. The floorplan is a little messed up... but that's pretty much the only thing. I didn't mind walking though because there are neat family pictures throughout the halls. I love that this is a family owned hotel. I know someone complained about there being religious stuff there. I guess if that offends you - don't stay here!!! I of course, didn't mind at all. They sell some Christian books at the gift shop... and I saw one "religious" print on the wall in the lobby. There is a prayer in the guest guide thing in the room.
I thought it was all nice touches. For the one or two people they offend.. they probably have 100 who love it and will come back again!!

On to the room. We had a fantastic room! I don't know if the hotel was just upgraded or what.. because everyone on here complained ..but our room looked brand new. The only thing I smelled was fresh paint and new carpet. I paid an extra $9 for the quote larger room.. so I don't know if that's what the difference was or what. We had 2 queen beds, a large flat screen tv, nice bathroom. VERY CLEAN!!!!! nice view out the window... trees and the amish restaurant across the way.

The water park was so fun!!! I could see how it could be tough during a peak time... but it wasn't that busy at all. Just what we were hoping for. I would say any kid over 7 or 8 might get bored though... definitely for younger children. Perfect for them. I do have a few complaints ... it was not as clean as the rest of the hotel.. some dirt at the bottom corners of the pool. one spot on the "rocks" had some mold. It does constantly get hit with water.. but nothing a good wipe down every night or morning wouldn't fix. Dirt also in the adult hot tub.
The family hot tub was out of order. The adult one was not very hot...and not bubbling..seemed broken as well.. but we sat in it anyway..to warm up. Kids got in it since it was not busy and the other was broke. The first night, there were 3 employees just sitting for hours playing cards...I have no idea what their jobs were.... handyman, security? no clue.. but they did their thing and we did ours. Next day one of the same guys was there. I think he's the handy man.. although, I never saw him do anything.

Anyway, there's a toddler area..very shallow... the larger pool .. about 4ft deep..and the roped off area around the slide. Used the slide over and over. We were lucky that the majority of our time there the other families were curtious.
a few balls floating around that we used to play basketball ... the spray pad .. plenty of seating. Overall, we were happy with it and our child loved it!

We used the video arcade as well. Very spacious. Things in there were 50 cents or a dollar.. no different than any place else. Pool table, air hockey, ski ball, basketball, racing, claw machines, pin ball,ect.

Breakfast in the morning was nice too. 2 juices - apple or orange. 3 cereals, variety of pastries, eggs, yogurt, fruit,toast, bagel, and waffle maker.

We ate at the Amish restaurant next door - DELICIOUS!!! and we did see the mini golf.. but it was too cold and windy to play. Hotel itself also has a practice putting area and I saw the rental bikes. Lots to do right there!! which we loved!

There is also a diner inside a restored train/train car right up from the hotel. We did not eat there.. but went up for a photo op in front of the train. Kids (or adults) can ring the train bell and for .50 pull the train whistle! we of course did that!! :)

We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ILOVETRAVEL356
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I have mixed emotions about this hotel. The rooms are in serious need of some updating, but we didn't go here for the comfort of the rooms. The indoor waterpark was very nice, especially for the money. Lots of balls, squirtguns and floaties around for all to share, for sure a family oriented place. The Amish restaurant next door is a must have- they have coupons at the front desk that you should ask for!!! If you buy a buffet, free mini golf at the course between the hotel and restaurant!
Long story short, the rooms are very out of date, but the water park is great for families. Warm water, and very nice hot tubs!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank indyhug111
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

We booked a block of five rooms here. All were smelly, old, had mildew in bathrooms, threadbare sheets and the property has not been kept up. At $ 169 a night for a room they should be ashamed. The comp breakfast was a joke - especially the small 'frisbee' scrambled eggs which caused great debate among our group as to whether or not they came from a real chicken.

Compare to the fabulous Hampton Inn in Elkins WV where we stayed the prior night for half the price and the Comfort Inn gets 2 thumbs down.

Room Tip: Surly Manager, you won't get a rate break
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank drcollie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellville
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center Bellville
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 15 in Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Holiday Inn Mansfield Conference Center
BEST WESTERN Richland Inn-Mansfield

Been to Comfort Inn Splash Harbor? Share your experiences!