“Only for the brave, thin and strong” 4 of 5 bubbles

Seneca Caverns
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Bellevue
Chicago, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Only for the brave, thin and strong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Great historical tour. I went with an 8 yr old and my parents who are aged 64 and 72. My son loved crawling and climbing and getting dirty. My parents struggled a lot with the bending and narrow rock steps. It was pretty scary watching them. So-a great place for cave lovers, but beware!!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank jalexis75

Medina, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I am a grandmother of 69 and took 2 grandkids (11 and 6) on the tour. Little scary at first. But nothing terrible. It was very interesting. You definitely need good shoes and not flip/flops for walk the steep, uneven stairs. Our tour guide, Sarah, was fantastic ! She explained things very well and answered all of everyone's questions. The gem mining was extremely enjoyable. Grandkids loved finding all the 'gems' in the dirt bags. It was a fun day. We packed a lunch and ate at the picnic area provided. Would definitely would go again. Thank you Seneca Caverns.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Susan B
“Steep”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

It was my first time I'm 53 and I took my grandson and daughter it was interesting but I hit my head twice you need to be careful if your tall and it's slippery and their is a few steep places wouldn't recommend older folks to go their and they should warn u before u head down that it's dangerous

Republic, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I guess there's a reason I have lived in the area 8 years and never visited**”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

It was myself and my 3 boys, ages 9,6,3. Tour guide was named Josh. Nice enough guy and seemed to be interested in his job and know the outline sketch history of the cavern and the owners, etc. Wasn't too keen on having people question "out of turn." By this I mean he would be discussing a certain aspect of the caves and when I would ask follow up questions, his response was always something to the effect of "I will be addressing that further into the tour." Well..... I wanted to know now because certain questions seemed relevant at the time. Also, he was very very focused on attempting to be humorous during the tour with rehearsed cheesy one-liners "can you name the most common types of bats in the caves?" Louisville slugger, aluminum, etc, etc, etc. Focus on the tour and the caves, skip the attempts at comedy which went on the entire 1 hour.

The caves themselves were very interesting. I am 6'4 and wouldn't recommend anyone bigger than 6 feet tall take this tour. There is cramped space throughout. People were also wearing flip flops (wouldn't recommend at all as they were complaining and slipping all over). There are apparently 12 levels of the cave depth wise. Apparently since summer 2012 you can only go to the 5th level which was some 80 feet below the surface before the underground river gets in your way. They said you can call in the Fall season to ask about going to a deeper level than 5 which I would do just to go deeper than 80 feet.

Wear warm clothes because it is an even 54 degrees throughout the season. I guess it was a neat experience and not entirely over priced, however, I wouldn't pay to do it again unless you could experience the depths of the caverns which haven't been accessible since years ago.

Kids loved it, but kids love anything and they want to visit again (which may just be the point of the entire attraction). Everyone was VERY friendly I must say.

Ohio
“Fun experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I took my little sister to the caverns and my friend brought her two younger children. We are both from Ohio and have never been, it was a really great experience! The tour lasts about an hour and our tour guide, Brittany, was able to answer all the questions anyone had. It was really informative and I would recommend it to anyone.
It was pretty slippery in the caverns and they recommended you wear a light jacket, you will need this it gets chilly.