“$200+ for a meal for two?”

Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Beachwood
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

OK, let's get the financials out of the way. Here's our bill as a sample of what to expect:

$2.60 per raw oyster (appetizer)
$7.50 slice of cheesecake (dessert, shared)
$8.00 steamed broccoli (side, shared)
$8.50 potatoes au gratin (side, shared)
$9.00 tomatoes & mozzarella salad (appetizer)
$9.50 cocktail (each)
$9.50 grilled asparagus (side, shared)
$14.50 giant scallops, 2 pieces (entree add-on)
$46.00 porterhouse (non-aged)
$65.00 ribeye (aged)

Of course you can swing both ways on the total price of dinner. There are less expensive options such as the non-aged and smaller portions of meat. Or you could flip the other way with the Japanese Wagyu Beef ($150.00) and a 1oz sifter of Louis XIII Cognac ($150.00). But you'll be hard-pressed to get out with a bill under $50/person unless you order the bare minimums or go vegetarian.

If you're OK with the prices, let's move on...

We have been consistently spoiled by Crown Grill restaurants aboard Princess Cruise Lines ships which feature immaculate cuts of aged beef and lamb. So we were looking to be impressed by an upscale steakhouse on land. Here's our experience with Hyde Park:

QUALITY - Excellent!! Anyone having read my reviews of higher-end establishments know that oysters-on-the-half-shell are my litmus test (a kitchen with less-than-excellent quality and cleanliness standards or equipment is easily detected) and Hyde Park passes with flying colors! In fact, they were probably some of the best raw oysters I've ever had in Cleveland! That's not to say the rest of dinner wasn't just as delicious - everything was great!

SERVICE - It's obvious service is guaranteed at this establishment. From the complimentary valet to the coat check greeting you at the door, you feel welcome from the get-go. The front end manager circulated through every table and was prompt and thoughtfully accommodating. And the service continued with a smile all the way through departure. Takeout was packaged by the wait staff.

SURROUNDS - Hyde Park is a lot larger and crowded than I had expected and features multiple dining areas and a separate bar. Ambient lighting is adequate but not so drastically subdued that you can't see the next table over or the food in front of you. The mood was far more hustle & bustle than calm or sublime with a seemingly large army of wait staff, hostesses (3), bussers, managers, etc. constantly moving back and forth. Decor includes statues and artwork of dogs and horses. For comparison sake, Hyde Park seems almost as large in seating and bustle as a Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse and opposite of a Ruth Chris in activity level and mood.

ISSUES - A couple of times we sat with dirty dishes in front of us for 10 to 15 minutes waiting for our waiter to return. Our steaks came out at least a full temperature cooler than requested (requiring refire). When the refire came out still not cooked enough, I simply decided to just take it home and microwave it to temperature later. Seasoning was a bit lacking on the steaks right out of the kitchen - a little salt & pepper made ALL the difference in bringing out the great flavor in both steaks.

In conclusion, I give 4/5 stars as I expected a little more perfection in food preparation and proactive service for the price we paid. I give the excellent quality and freshness of ingredients a full 5 stars - you can't get better than this. Overall, we'd consider coming back again - price being the only limiting factor. And if I were were to be asked, "Ruth Chris or Hyde Park?" my response would be Hyde Park (although my wife claims Ruth Chris is better).

2  Thank PuuKaua

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband steak was not prepared the way he request which he wanted his steak well done. We told the waitress and she offered to take the steak back but my husband declined because he was not comfortable with sending food back because of horror stories. We thought she would tell her manager but she didn't. We paid a good penny for our food and nothing was done about our situation. My steak was not good at all. I would have felt better going to a outback... Where the steaks are cheaper but a much more better taste.

1  Thank Katrina891
Reviewed February 11, 2014

You cannot go wrong with Hyde Park steakhouse. the service and the beef and the drinks are first class.

The menu is extensive with something for everyone and they go out of their way to accommodate dietary needs.

The extra bonus of validated valet parking makes this an easy choice for an evening with your spouse or a group of friends, especially if you're going to an even at the nearby Ocean Center or Peabody Auditorium.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is the 2nd time we've eaten here and we were again enjoyed top notch service and meal. Our server was attentive and very quick. The 50 day aged ribeye steak was done to perfection. the oscar topped scallops melted in the mouth and the sides (lobster mac & cheese and mashed potatoes) were delicious as well. We left with enough leftovers for another meal tomorrow.
We're looking forward to visiting again next year!.

1  Thank Jim K
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I went to Hyde Park for an employee appreciation dinner with my company. We had about 80 people there and had their private party room. We had a small cocktail hour, I tried sushi for the first time, it was good - I have nothing to compare it to, but I liked it, others said it was good. Dinner was served buffet style, we had (delicious) pretzels bread sticks, salad, chicken, steak, salmon, green beans and au gratin potatoes. Everything I had was very good, everything was hot & there was plenty for everyone. We had an open bar and the bartenders were very efficient and took good care of everyone. The serving staff were also good. We actually got Hyde Park gifts cards as a thank you from management, I thought that was so thoughtful and nice! I'm looking forward to coming back and eating at the actual restaurant.

1  Thank Jenn1984Ohio