“Better than "Full Service" Marriotts”

Courtyard Cleveland Beachwood
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Beachwood
Elmhurst, IL
“Better than "Full Service" Marriotts”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

An exceptional business hotel. A well-lit, open business center in the lobby with 3 fast, FREE,working computers and printers greet you. A better than average fitness center with flat screen TV is available if you choose not to use the complimentary local health club pass provided. A very friendly staff that remembers previous clients, and follows through on special requests, (mine was a refrigerator in the room). Power outlets are where you need them; next to the bed for cellphones, on the desk for laptops, etc. The manager's cocktail reception on Wednesday evenings is a very nice touch! I've always enjoyed interesting conversations with the staff and fellow travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
petersam
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed at the Courtyard in Beachwood in late July and had a very comfortable stay. We had requested adjoining rooms for our family, which they were able to accommodate after some dilligent searching by the front desk staff. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and in great condition. We headed down to the pool and the fitness room. The pool was tiny but was great for the kids. I didn't expect a large pool since this is a small business hotel. The fitness room similarly met our needs well. While we didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast as there was a nearby Starbucks, I did notice that there was quite a variety of hot and cold options, including some items priced appropriately for kid sized appetites. I definitely would stay here again if my first choice - a 2 BR suite at the Residence Inn - was not available. The hotel was a great value for me - I used my Marriott points for both rooms. Our only cost was the beer from the "store" in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank petersam
Hawaii
Reviewed June 5, 2009

When I walked into the lobby of this very mediocre Marriott, I was impressed with the appearance. The hotel front desk staff was polite. That's pretty much the only good things I have to say about the place.

I had asked for a quiet room -- and it was very quiet, mostly because the hotel guests here are business travelers and we arrived on a day when most had gone back home to their corporate nests. The minute I walked into the room, I smelled a stale smell -- almost like the room had been smoked in about 20 years ago. The cover on the back side of the TV was off and resting against the wall. I opened the windows to get some fresh air in but it never really made a difference.

The bed is the typical cheap, stiff mattress where the part near the headboard sinks down from 30 years of use. So, when you sleep your head is tilted downward -- not the most convenient way to sleep.

The water pressure is abismal -- I think I could spit harder.

The price for all of this was $175 (including tax) -- waaaaaaaaaay too high for small town Ohio.

Stay at the Homestead hotel and suites down the block -- half the price and the rooms are much larger.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Picky_Fussy_Traveler
Upstate NY
Reviewed October 28, 2008

It is a typical Courtyard Marriott and I mean that as a complement. No surprises. Clean and courteous. Conveniently located. However, if you didn't have a car, then this place could be an issue.

• Stayed September 2008
Thank T.B.Patriot
Lansing, MI
Reviewed September 28, 2008

This was our second stay at Marriott, Beachwood. We've been coming frequently to Cleveland/Cleveland Clinic; our first stay was in July and because of our experience we came back.

This is a smoke free property, but as does happen, people will smoke in a room anyway. The room we were given had been used by a smoker previously, you could smell the smoke as soon as you walked in the door. We immediately walked back to the front desk and without hesitation, we were given a new room.

The rooms here are very large, very clean, very quiet and very comfortable; exactly what I need when I'm in Cleveland. The location is easy to get to, there are several good restaurants in walking distance; it's very easy to get to Cleveland Clinic, even during rush hour.

The staff at the front desk go well beyond business as usual; Sylvester in particular will do everything he can to make your stay great, my compliments to him specifically.

• Liked — Clean, Quiet, Large rooms, Comfortable, good location
  • Disliked — Breakfast was not complimentary
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Great beds, great breakfast and superb serice.

Stayed September 2008
Montreal
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Booked this hotel based on the reviews here at tripadvisor.com, which were very helpful.

I booked an "accessible" room with king bed, without realizing that "accessible" meant for travelers with special needs. The bathroom was huge!

Very large and clean room. Nice tv.

Now for the fun part. Woke up to what I thought was the clock radio alarm, but it wouldn't stop buzzing, no matter how I tried to turn it off. We should have clued into it being the fire alarm with the strobe light flashing, but hey, it was like 6 am. Checked the door for heat and peering into the hallway, along with the other guests along our hallway. As our room opened out into the courtyard, we didn't leave by the hallway.

There was no fire. Turned out that someone in the kitchen had set off the alarm by burning some food item, probably toast. One recommendation we made to hotel was that in these types of situations, management should not change shifts. The new manager on duty was unable to provide info to guests.

Back to bed to catch up on some much needed zzzzz's. Later, we decided to go across street to Bob Evan's for breakfast, but the wait was too long. We went back to hotel for the complimentary continental breakfast, but wait - we were 3 minutes too late! Considering the events of the early morning, we weren't too impressed.

Based on this experience and hubby's perception of this particular hotel location, I most probably would not stay here again. There are quite a number of other hotels along this strip close to Interstate.

Restaurants within very close walking distance include Bob Evans and Olive Garden.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast, or lack of it
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple