“Marriott Courtyard, quite satisfactory”

Courtyard Cleveland Beachwood
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Beachwood
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Marriott in Beachwood , Ohio, provided a spacious room, comfortable bed, and a quiet night's sleep, which is most important to my wife and me. It is conveniently located near Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Barnes and Noble, and several good eating establishments. It is pricier during the week, but is in line with most Marriott properties.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I spent 21 days at this Courtyard while on business. My stay went from mid June to early July.
I am a Marriott Rewards member, however, I belong to most hotel "rewards" programs, so don't let that influence your opinion.

Upon arriving, I was greeted promptly. My request to be on a high floor, farther away from the elevators was granted. Upon entering my room, I was met with standard courtyard decorations (I think they have that same blue carpeting with the gold accents in each of their hotels). The room was clean, spacious. I had a 1 King bed unit, with a sofa (might have been a fold out sofabed, I did not check). There was a desk with a chair, and free internet access. The LCD tv was about 32 inches, and was perfectly adequate. The room had a mini fridge (see problem #3 below) and a microwave, as well as a small cupboard for the storage of food items for folks staying awhile.

The bathroom was standard, nothing special. Some might like the fact that the sink was outside of the closed door area that housed the toilet and bathtub/shower (It is an actual bathtub for those of you travelling with young children). The closet door (sliding), is actually two full length mirrors (if my wife was travelling, this would be important to her).

Breakfast consisted of both hot and cold items. Eggs, omlettes, bacon, sausage, create your own waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, toast, bagels, juice, milk, coffee, and tea. I think the usual charge is $10.95, mine was free due to the room I booked through work. They might offer packages that include breakfast. The omlette chef was friendly as were the waitresses.

There is a small "convenience market" in the lobby area. This has beer, wines, food items, however the prices have been marked up to the ridiculous range. You are much better off walking to the end of the street to the gas station (safe neighborhood, well lit). There is also a Bob Evans and Steak restaurant directly across the street. There is a Japanese restaurant and a Red Lobster right next to the hotel. Starbucks and Whole Foods are a quick walk away, and many other dining options are a quick drive, including P.F. Changs.

This hotel has a very convenient location directly off the exit for Rt. 271, however the hotel was very quiet!

The gym in the hotel is very small, but they offer free access to a state of the art local gym, just ask the front desk. It is just off the next exit off the highway (about a 5 minute drive, including traffic/lights. The hotel also has a "Managers Reception" a few nights a week, but I never saw more than 2 people over there. There is a Laundry room on the 4th floor. $1.00 in quarters to wash, $1.00 in quarters to dry. Just ask the front desk for free detergent and dryer sheets!

I only encountered three issues with this hotel:
1) Power Outage on July 4th due to a storm the night before. This was not the hotels fault, however, as the elevators were down, we had to use the stairs which had no emergency lighting. The quick thinking staff placed glow sticks (employees must like to go to raves, which is cool with me), and flashlights throughout the stairwell.
2) Internet had constant issues with my computer as I run Windows Vista. This is apparently a well known problem with both the front desk and with their I.T. company. The quick fix was to constantly change IP addresses manually. If you run any other operating system, you should have no problems.
3) When I went to put my food in the mini fridge, I found the prior guests Cheesecake Factory leftovers as well as a half empty quart of Gatorade. I guess the housekeepers forgot to check. Still, kind of gross...I do not want someones half eaten Bang Bang Shrimp!

Crystal and Samantha at the front desk were amazing and made a long stay enjoyable. Due to their exceptional service, I will be rating this hotel a 5. I feel that minor problems/issues can happen anywhere, it is what the staff does to rectify those issues.

Room Tip: High floor, far away from an elevator will get you the quietest sleep.
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This Coirtyard is clean, he front desk staff pleasant. The room was of a nice size, tv reception wasn't available on some channels (could have been weather related). Bed was very comfortable and amenities adequate. Closet doors in room wanted to come off the track and didn't work very well at all. Desk recognized my "club" status and even thanked me for staying with them. Would stay here again, as I have in the past.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Not all Marriott Courtyards are the same. This had some odd color matches but was very comfortable. Everything worked just fine; even the internet access. Starbucks and Whole Foods were within a few minutes' walk, so I was happy.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

When we come to Cleveland we always stay here; the last time was 2010. I reserved a King room and we did get one, with a jacuzzi. I called the desk and she said, yes, she upgraded us. For some, I would imagine this to be an upgrade, but I've never thought that sleeping next to the tub equated to upgrade. We like the couch and table/sitting room area instead.
The furnishings in this room are very worn in places and the seal is broken on the window, so it's streaked and looks terrible.
When we walked down the hallway to our room, one door that we passed reeked with some awful food. We could smell it in our room; fortunately we could open the window and it aired out.
They've upgraded the televisions to flat screens and they now have "free" wi-fi, but the free wi-fi is slower...but you can upgrade to premium wi-fi with your credit card.
With all the times we've stayed here, we've never heard a neighboring rooms' shower, but you can and it's loud; now that I think of it, maybe we adjoin another jacuzzi room and that's what we're hearing.
We'll probably look at the Hampton next time we come.
Something has happened to this property, it has gone done in quality since our previous visits.

Room Tip: Don't accept the upgrade to a Jacuzzi room
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights on a business trip to the Cleveland area. The location was conviniently located near the express way and there were many restaraunt locations within a 5 mile radius. The Bob Evans across the street made it convienient to walk over in the morning for breakfast. The reward points did not show up on my marriot rewards account. Overall the room was clean and meet my needs. The elevator was a little worn and felt like a service elevator.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with a youth hockey team. The area had everything you could imagine as far as places to eat. Very accessible to highway since there were three arenas we had to go to.
Because the bar was not open on weekends, we were allowed to bring coolers and sit in the bar/breakfast area and hang out in the evenings which was very nice, not travelling elsewhere and paying high prices for drinks. The pool was small if there was one bad thing. Rooms were comfortable as were the beds.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family