“Decent hotel cheap prices”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Valley City
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed here for two nights while attending a horse show at the Wintershow Building. I saw other reviews and was somewhat worried. To my surprise the hotel was just fine. There was no dirty carpets, or bathrooms and there was no noise or problems from the biker bar.
The room was large, the tv was small. There was a fridge in the room and a microwave in the lobby. The bathroom was clean, the towels were thin and old, but clean. There was no complimentary shampoo, but there was bar soap. There was a bar, but like I said there were no noise issues at all. The front desk staff was really nice and helpful. Friendly people. We had accidently left a camera bag with a lot of equipment in it, at the front desk, two hours later when we realized it was missing, it was still where we left it, Thank God for honest people! Our room was 77$ for two beds, four people. The only thing I would change is to have queen beds instead of double (there is plenty of room) and they could spend some $$ on new towels, it looks as if they have done a lot of fixing up and remodeling recently I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank sonadorcat

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Given one room, arrived to find dirt on sheets, trash in wastebasket. Moved to second room, question if all the towels were clean, open soat on shower shelf, urine on floor in bathroom. Beer spiilled on nightstand. Very dirty throughout, heard complaints from other guests. Avoid staqying here at all costs!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jan J
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I first asked for their cheapest room, but they charged me for a queen double room. Not a big deal. I have stayed at some Very cheap hotels on my trip, but this one for the price of $60.50 was waay overpriced. I had better hotels at 40-50$ values, That were clean. I did not enjoy stepping on crap and seeing stains, It was no relief to see used soap in the shower...

But worst of all, I woke up at midnight and found my car surrounded by about 10 redneceks, and they were using my car as a personal Porto-potty. When i got out of my room to see what was happening they surrounded me and threatend me, they were all holding beer bottles, I went to the office after they went to their van to call the police, but the lady there decided she should just tell them to clear off and that was that.....

Now im paranoid because they are drunk and driving, and they could come back during the night. I am very upset the owner did not take my concerns very seriously.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 47,145
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel was the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. Mold in the bathroom, dog urine in the carpet and bugs everywhere in the room including the bed. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank james468
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We were in town for my son to check out the university - it's only 3 blocks from campus. But we probably won't stay here again. Rooms & beds were not very clean. The place is pretty old & run down. The continental breakfast consisted of some powdered sugar donuts & coffee in styrofoam cups.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank WisMomOf6
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I'll keep this simple, this place should not be the first choice for anyone driving along I-94. I was dead tired, and stopped to stay at the Super 8 in town, but it was fully booked, as was the other place. The rate was reasonable for 1 person ($45), but like someone else said, you get what you pay for. The room was spacious, but not well-kept, the air conditioning panel fell off, the one bed was dirty (the other was alright, I reluctantly slept on it). Bathroom was decent but nothing to write home about. I was there for all of 9 hours, and the internet worked alright, so I was happy as I checked out early the next morning.

There is a loud bar that is right next to the check-in desk, and luckily I got a room on the other end of the hotel. The lady who checked me in was nice enough, and I have no doubt that she wanted me to have a good stay. I just wish they had a better product to offer, everyone in North Dakota I found to be very friendly and was disappointed by this negative experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank JCS276
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We booked this room as a king, smoking. Definately not the Ritz....it is a simple mom and pop place. Everything was fine except our room was right across from the ice machine and stairs and it was a little noisey from that....but that was just very minor in the overall stay. Ask to avoid that location and you'll have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank irishgalgrr

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!