“EAT AT WHALERS”

Eat at Whalers
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Eat at Whalers. Indulge in million dollar views, salty air & frosty glasses at Whalers. Eat, drink, relax & savour. Titillate your tastebuds. Encounter friendly faces filling your glass. Why don’t you celebrate life!
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We travelled around Barossa ,Adelaide Hillls , Victor Harbour region and McLaren Vale and ate at numerous . Eat At Whalers was outstanding . Excellent food ,great service , reasonable prices , great coffee and lovely location .In fact the best experience we had on our trip . Apart from the great food we thought the service and friendliness of staff was outstanding

1  Thank gary p

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Whalers Inn has been an institution in Victor Harbor for decades. Last time i visited the restaurant was dark, dingy and pretty average food. What a difference now! After a renovation the restaurant has been rebranded as “Eat”. Lots of glass, white paint and open aspect. Umbrellas on the terrace for outside seating when the weather is kind. Such a magic view across the bay – particularly at sunset. We had a Seafood Plate each – a very generous plate of flathead fillets (3x), large prawns (3x), calamari, chips and salad. Very fresh and delicious. We drank a Clare valley Riesling to perfectly match (O’Leary Walker ).

Highly recommend for a casual drink or meal.

1  Thank Whiskie8
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have eaten here a few times over the years, and it always had great views. Not much else, but good views. Pleasant place to have a drink.

But new management at the restaurant a while ago has changed this. The views are still there, but now it is worth going for the food too. I went for lunch, to enjoy the views, and had the best salad I can remember eating. Fattoush Salad it was called and it had toasted pita bread, salad greens, quince, pomegranate, fellafel & grilled haloumi cheese. The quince was the very tasty sauce drizzled on, I think as their was none fresh. But everything else was. I was a bit apprehensive about the pita bread, but small pieces, not too dry, gave the meal some texture. Overall a fresh tangy taste (including a bit of mint) that left one feeling like you had eaten well (and healthily).

My mother had one of the fish dishes that was a bit more mainstream, but would satisfy most.

Desert was a small selection of small cakes, slices etc, but very good value and also tasty. a good selection of reasonably priced, and better Australian wines was available.

Decor was simple white walls with a red feature wall, sunken bar, and boards in most of the restaurant giving it overall a fresh and slightly outdoorsy feel.

This is a great place to go and try one of the not so ordinary dishes with a very pleasant outlook. Worth encouraging.

1  Thank Tony A
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Whalers undoubtedly has the best view in Victor! The weather was warm and clear, so we dined outside.
I had whiting with fantastic chips and a beetroot salad which I haven't tried before and it was delicious! My husband had calamari with salad. I had a decadent apple and cinnamon cake with cream which again was mouth watering! The cake was at the counter, not on the menu.
I would recommend this venue to anyone, especially visitors.

1  Thank Sally113
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After a chat with the locals and my question about a good place for a feed, got pointed to the eat at Whalers. As we were after a "all fish night" we started with entree of different sorts of fish and as a main a fish platter. its been a while since I had fish that was cooked to perfection, a quiet missus scoffing her mouth was proof! And to top it all off, friendly and chatty staff that goes the extra mile to make it worth wile to sit out side just that little bit longer and enjoing another cold beer after the belly was completely satisfied.

1  Thank Healesvillebilly