“Unprofessional Service.”

Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, Wine Bar is open from 8am until late evening 7 days a week. The menu has been carefully designed around fresh local produce and includes hearty breakfasts, fresh baguettes at lunch with homemade soup and crusty bread and fresh salads, char grilled seafood and steak dishes and wood fired pizza for dinner. Open all day for coffee and cake. Our friendly and motivated staff welcomes you to join them for an enjoyable meal on the seafront veranda, alfresco style in summer or in front of the cosy open log fire in the winter. Enjoy a glass of wine or specialty beer served at the unique boat bar, choosing from the exciting wine list or relax by the cosy open wood fire in winter with an award winning house roasted coffee. 2 Private function rooms are available for a corporate or private function, ideal for family birthdays, anniversaries, small weddings or corporate presentations or meetings. Our chef can accommodate any catering requirements and several function menus are available.
Adelaide, Australia
“Unprofessional Service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Food overpriced.. expected to pay $12.95 for a SIDE salad!! Mediocre food. Specials ran out soon after the lunch time began- we presumed then that the "special" was a leftover from the day before. The most disappointing aspect of our visit was that when we left the table to order our food, our expensive bottle of wine was cleared from the table by one of the staff!! BUT we were given a new bottle as we deserved. Overall very unprofessional service. Restaurant definitely gone downhill in recent months. Shame because the views out to ocean are second to none.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Diana F
CSaunderson, Owner at Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Whilst I respect the customers comments and the right for them to comment on a social media site, it would be much better to contact the management via email or phone or on the day of the experience so that we can address the concerns in a more personal matter that on a social media site. I noticed the customer has visited before and must have had a much better experience and so returned only to have not such a good experience. Our pricing is adjusted accordingly and we do try to keep prices within a reasonable range. Our prices are clearly displayed for the customer so they know what they are paying on ordering a dish. The salad in question is a Chef's salad and is more than a side salad serving. Our specials are arranged on a weekly rotation and unfortunately for the customer after a busy weekend there may be only one or two serves of a particular special available and once they are served that will be the end of that special. We do remove them from the board or state they are N/A as soon as it is possible to do so. It was very unfortunate that the bottle of wine was removed but I note as stated by the customer that it was replaced as soon as the error was made known.
As the owner and manager I am very proud of our staff, quality of meals and service that we offer. They do an exceptional job and on the whole most of our customers are more than satisfied with their experience. Hopefully with their continued patronage Anchorage can continue to provide a special experience to our regular and first time patrons into the future as it has done for the last 20 years.

“Could be more accommodating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went for breakfast with a few friends on a Sunday morning. I was impressed by the atmosphere and the buzz of the place. However a little disappointed that when I told them I was vegan and asked what could they offer, I was told they were too busy to offer anything special or even modify their mushrooms to not include butter. I was given tomatoes on toast which were fine, but thought that for a place that seems to pride itself on quality and service, it was a poor effort. you simply can't afford to not accommodate for special dietary requirements in this day and age. All you need to have is one option available or easily modified and you open yourself up to a whole new clientele.

• Visited August 2013
CSaunderson, Owner at Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you to the guest for the review. I will certainly try to rectify the problem and ensure some more flexibility with the menu in future. We do take great pride in our quality and service. I am aware that the particular day was very busy and alterations to a particular way of preparing a dish can be difficult in the middle of a very busy service.
Adelaide, Australia
“Great place to dine in winter-good warming food and a nice wood burning fire.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had the rabbit which was a special and the pork belly as our mains. Both were very good. There is a tapas menu as well which also looked very tempting. The restaurant is located at the back of the hotel which is located on the seafront.

• Visited August 2013
CSaunderson, General Manager at Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I would like to thank the guest for their review and appreciate their positive comments. We look forward to seeing them again should they visit Victor Harbor again.
Ballarat, Australia
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived and waited 10mins to be greeted so that we could be seated, we felt ignored so left.They weren't over busy, and tables were messy as they hadn't been cleared.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tried2013
CSaunderson, Owner at Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I am a little surprised at these comments but never the less will take note of the complaint. I have found it hard to investigate what went wrong as I am not sure of the day of the complaint so have been unable to chase up the staff as to what may have happened. We do not like to hear this sort of thing and always take great pride in our seat and greet policy. I have certainly talked to our staff about this and our policy is always to acknowledge the guest on arrival and if we are unable to seat them immediately we can offer them a seat at the bar area until a table is ready. All I can say is it is highly unusual for this sort of thing to happen and must have been under exceptional circumstances for this to happen. I am sorry to hear this failed in this case.
Victor Harbor, South Australia, Australia
“Disappointed local”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I took a visiting friend to dine last night and was looking forward to a high quality meal, as one expects from this fine establishment. My friend enjoyed her risotto very much, and said it was excellent. However my souvlaki lamb skewers were appalling. The meat was so overcooked the skewer ends were black and crumbly and it was hard work to get the meat off the skewers it was so dry and tough. The roasted vegetables were undercooked with one pice of what I think was swede I couldn't even get my knife into. It was accompanied by a Greek salad ( which I wasn't expecting as the menu didn't mention it ) which was very nice and the rice was good. I provided feedback to the waiter at the end, however in retrospect I should have sent it straight back when I was struggling to get the meat off the skewer. No response from the chef. Very disappointing.

Visited August 2013
CSaunderson, Owner at Anchorage Cafe, Restaurant, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I take note of this review and thank the customer for the feed back. I was very concerned to hear this and I agree send it straight back although this is not the final solution. We are consulting with the chef regarding the dish and the cut of meat that is used. I don't think the message was passed onto the chef as he was unaware of the problem. We certainly would have refunded your money or given you another dish at the time and do not expect anyone to continue trying to eat something that is sub standard. We do take great pride in our meals and quality of production and service and I apologise for the disappointing experience. Of course we would love to see you again in the future.