All reviews shared bathroom spa room granite island seafront hotel private balcony guest lounge guest house old building old world four poster bed the ground floor no air conditioning beautiful building overlooking the sea old style wine list kangaroo island
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are into accommodation with a heritage feel the Anchorage is a great experience. We stayed in a seafront gallery room with little french doors opening onto the balcony. For a cost of $80 dollars for the room, what value with the view you get included.I was so glad we chose to eat at the cafe/restaurant downstairs. We had oysters,(the freshest Iv'e tasted in a while) garlic prawns and a scotch fillet to die for, while we enjoyed the surroundings of the expensive amount of staff who were so classy, the chef even had a peruse over the guests to see if they were enjoying their meals. I hesitate to give out such a report in case there's no vacancy when I want to return. I love hotels like this that keep our wonderful heritage of South Australia alive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a night in August. Enjoyed my stay. Overall, excellent value for money.

Likes:
- Was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a bigger corner room
- Room was clean
- Friendly staff

Dislikes:
- Urinal and shower are in separate rooms
- Furniture and decor are a bit outdated
- Heater seems underpowered

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Ynwa17
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Looking for the best coffee? Look no further to the Anchorage, with locally fresh roasted coffee, the blend called Qahwa was simply delicious. You can also purchase your own fresh beans!
Menu's contained plenty to choose from whether you want to share tapas or have own main meal, with options for local and fresh produce.
Stayed in the beautiful spa rooms, with stunning views over the balcony to the sea where we were able to view some whales frolicking in the morning.
While there are older looking areas, it should remain the same with the building being heritage listed.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Casey T
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Recently had an appalling meal in the restaurant. Food is overpriced, portions too small and quality is below par. Restaurant menu is too pretentious for seaside Victor Harbor and their attempt at fine dining is basically, just lame. Service is terrible as wait staff couldn't care less. I would not recommend the Tapas; it's a failed attempt at a cuisine better suited to a Tapas/Spanish cuisine-type eatery. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank parad0xy
CSaunderson, Owner at The Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I am concerned that this reviewer has stated the we are a fine dining restaurant, which is not at all true and we have never promoted ourselves as fine dining in any of our literature or web site. We have always been a casual dining venue that serves coffee all day and opens for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our menu has a variety of dishes available and is not restricted to tapas only. The feed back we receive from guests is that they love the menu and the sharing food as a rule. We remain a popular venue for locals and visitors. This is an unfortunate review and should be measured against others on this site.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in Room 23, which is on the ground floor, queen suite with a sea view. It was very cold when we arrived in Victor Harbor, and I was not sure if the room would have heating. Luckily, it did. The room is good value for money, extremely clean, and has a fantastic environment. The hotel is old, but not in bad taste at all. You walk through very ornate hallways and lounges to get to your room.

We went to the park opposite for a nice picnic lunch when the rain lifted, and then went walking through the town centre, then drove up the coast to go whale watching. Everything is in good proximity to the hotel.

I was a bit annoyed with some of the other guests, who arrived to their room around 1am, very loudly clomping down the hall in heels, possibly drunk, but otherwise, it was a very pleasant night's rest on a very good mattress, not like most other hotels.

The people at the front desk are extremely helpful and kind, and give you the impression they actually do care about your stay, and do not come across as cold like some places can do.

The Anchorage restaurant is in the hotel, and even though it is quite expensive, it was a very nice place to have breakfast the morning after. The yoghurt, muesli and berry compote is a great, refreshing breakfast.

I very much enjoyed this stay. I hope to try out the spa suite next time I visit!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to stay down-stairs or by the road. It's a nice, quiet location and I had no problem sleeping, except for a couple of noisy guests next door coming back slightly drunk in the early hours.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple