“Loved it! We will be back”

Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Port Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Calypso Star Charters provides the ultimate one day adventure activity, cage diving with the Great White Sharks! Our business has been operating for over 20 years and boasts a highly successful history. We are the only Advanced Eco Certified business providing the one day charter that also holds a license to berley, giving us a greater chance of attracting the Great Whites to our vessel and keeping them in close proximity! In October 2011 we launched our new vessel, MV Calypso Star 2. The vessel is state of the art and provides all guests with the best in comfort, safety and all the creatures comfort of home, including hot showers! Dont miss your opportunity to be mesmerised by these remarkable creatures as you see them face to face in their natural environment from the safety of our cage, in the clear waters surrounding the Neptune IslandsWith the success of the addition of the new vessel, we saw the opportunity to expand our business operation and offer our customers more than just the one experience. This saw the introduction of our Swim with the Sealions tours in 2011. All aboard the MV Calypso Star for a journey to the playground of the seas very cute and very playful 'puppy dogs', the Australian Sea Lions at Hopkins Island. From the moment we arrive the Sea Lions bound out to the vessel excitedly inviting the guests to join them. The tour provides the opportunity to jump in and swim, viewing the mesmerised skills and abilities of these gorgeous animals, or sit back and enjoy the action from the comfort of the vessel. The tour is interaction guaranteed, environmentally conscious, educational and a whole lot of fun for the whole family!
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Loved it! We will be back”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had such a great day. The crew, boat, food, sharks, sights, etc were brilliant!

My husband was so excited to have seen these sharks that we will definatly plan another trip back just to do this tour again.

I would recommend trying to get a on day were the groups are smaller as I would have not enjoyed it with over 40 people on the boat (we had less than 20).

Visited August 2013
1 Thank PerthieGirl
CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Sounds like we have another Great White fan in your husband! We regularly hear people saying that they will definitely be back to do it again after their first experience, and we do see them coming back.
Thank you for writing a review of your trip our with us, it is great to hear you enjoyed all the facilities and service provided to you and we look forward to seeing you again when you make the trip back!

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Shame about the weather but still, once in a lifetime experience!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I did this trip with Calypso as part of my trip across the Nullabor Plain from Perth to Adelaide and it was definitely one of the highlights!

Unfortunately it was very bad weather on the day of our trip (not bad enough to cancel obviously) so the majority of the passengers were sea sick. The boat itself is lovely, really clean, tv screens showing programmes re GWS, really chirpy and friendly staff regardless of them being thrown around and they managed to still cook/bake/prepare some lovely food for us!

It is the bigger boat of the two companies operating out of Port Lincoln so most of us watched slightly bemused as the other boat which looked like a tin can being thrown around by the waves, so definitely the better option should there be bad weather.

Once we got to Neptune Islands (approx 3hours if I recall correctly) they went through all the safety etc and everything else you would expect before climbing into a cage in GWS waters. Good, clear information and certain amount of reassurances. They started chumming the water and explained that it was 6 people per cage (I think, forgive me if I'm wrong) and it was a first come first served basis. You had to sign up on a clipboard. Solo travellers are fine wherever obviously but if you are part of a larger party you may have to wait. We got told by our tour guide that if you saw a GWS on arrival of the site (which we did) then try and get in first (which I did) as there is no guarantee that the sharks will hang around until say the last cage full of people (we had 6 until the end - ha)

I didn't know you could get seasick underwater...you can! But all feelings of queasiness gone when you see a GWS swimming in the way only GWS can replaced by feelings of fear and dread. Then just amazement really - amazing you are there, the sharks are there, how lucky you are, how cool this is etc..the underwater cameras on the cage itself weren't working on our trip but they give you cameras to take in, and then all the footage and pictures are put on the DVD should you wish to purchase. They do a cute "everyone coming on board give us a wave" routine and short interviews before and after you go into the water which is nice :)

Their friendly service continued after the trip - being the forgetful soul I am I left my mask on the boat drying on a railing and they sent it back to me to Queensland for free! :)

Overall great day, wonderful service and brilliant experience!!

Visited December 2012
Glad you chose to take up the option of the shark cage dive with us during your travels across the Nullarbor! Unfortunately this time of year does bring us some rougher weather some days, and if necessary we will cancel if it is unsafe to charter. Our staff are very experienced and quite skilful and are able to work in all conditions, ensuring they provide all the food, beverages and assistance that our guests need.
That first moment that you sight a great white once in the cage is something words can't describe, one of the most amazing feelings. We are very pleased you enjoyed the entire trip with us and found our staff and facilities to be of a high standard. Glad the mask made it back to you too! We hope we may be able to welcome you back on board again one day
Perth, Australia
“Too good for a bucket list ... just do it!!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Don't know why I did it but "lordy me" I'm glad I did (twice!).
1st time (03/13) - no sharks. That's nature. Picture perfect weather and seas like a mill pond all day. Some had a plunge in the cage and watched the sea life swimming by but with no sharks eventually the cage was lifted and then some fished for trevally (and caught heaps plus a sizable tuna) but I dozed a little and chatted with fellow passengers swapping travel stories. We did see one mako shark but it only bit at the lure bait and left. We saw the biggest pod of dolphines I've ever seen in my life be it on T.V. or live in nature. They hung with us for a good 10-15 minutes. Although no sharks that day the days excursion itself was great. I couldn't give enough praise to the crew who bent over backwards to ensure we kept our spirits high.
2nd time (06/13) @ 50% off the price, SHARKS!!! Although there was a 3-5 metre swell there was only one outbreak of sea sickness from one passenger. Overcast, rain and wind offered the GREATEST backdrop to the terrifying but awesome creatures we were about to come face to face with. Being my 2nd trip as no sharks the 1st time, the skipper pointed out to the other passengers that if there was no sightings that day it would be "my fault". He was joking of course and it was a good feeling to be remembered by one of the crew from my past charter some three months prior when later we chatted about some of the other passengers and experiences from that previous day. Finally I saw the sharks and those sharks were AWESOME. Seeing them literally face to face and at times only inches away from bone crushing jaws kept the adrenaline pumping. I felt totally safe in the water/cage at all times. The trevally were around like "blowies" on a hot summers day but always split when another great white came around again for a bite at the lure bait. Don't worry about no diving experience, you don't need it as the crew will put you at ease with their explainations and demonstrations of how to. I had a waterproof camera and took a lot of pics. A dvd of both video and stills of the day is also available so I got that too. Both times the crew, the boat, the feed - light hot breakie, cold buffet lunch and hot afternoon tea, other passengers totally A1.
I spent a few days in Port Lincoln and could chat a while on that alone but all I want to say or advise is too grab a small hire car at the airport if you are flying in as it cost me about $50 a day hire with 200 kms free. Standard transport rates (taxi etc) to and from the airport to Port Lincoln is also about $50 each way. A car allows you to stay where you want and explore the area at basically no or little extra outlay.
Now peoples, JUST DO IT!

Visited June 2013
CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
WOW what a great review! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your entire experience with everyone including the day you travelled out with no sharks.
We are stoked you came back and joined us for the second trip and had a successful day, lucky for you so no blame was laid your way :)
Love the comparison between the trevally and 'blowies', you are quite right there!
Thanks for being a part of our tour twice and thanks again for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do it. Hope to see you again
Wool Bay, South Australia, Australia
“Top of the bucket list ...... a big tick.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Port Lincoln... stayed a week, needed longer. Calypso Star.... crew go above and beyond to give all customers the best day possible. Sighted two southern right whales on the way out. Sea eagle and albatross while we were anchored. I caught some trevally and the skipper made us a fabulous platter of sushimi.My husband did the cage dive and LOVED it. I could easily see the shark from the deck. Cannot recommend highly enough. Great boat, fantastic crew, food all day. Top experience.

Visited July 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
How fantastic that you were here during the whale season and got the added bonus of seeing two along our journey! It is definitely a complete wildlife experience with all the wildlife we encounter along the way. And the sashimi is a nice added touch on those fishing days.
Thank you for your review of your trip with us, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed it and that we met all your expectations, even for yourself just coming along as a spectator.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is truly unique! Andrew and his team were great hosts. They offer trips for shark cage diving, swimming with tunas (must try!) and swimming with sea-lions (great for families with kids, to have the opportunity to swim with friendly sea lions in shallow waters in their natural habitat).

The service was excellent. All the equipment was provided, good food, and mostly the hot shower onboard!

Visited July 2013
We were very honoured to host you during your recent visit to Port Lincoln and to be given to showcase the fabulous tourism activities we have on offer. It is unique and we are very proud of what we do.
It is rewarding to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and that our facilities and service were of a satisfactory standard. We look forward to working with you again in the future and hope you will be back to experience the Eyre Peninsula once again :)