“Experience Like No Other”

Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Port Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Calypso Star Charters provides the ultimate one day adventure activity, cage diving with the Great White Sharks! Our business has been operating for over 20 years and boasts a highly successful history. We are the only Advanced Eco Certified business providing the one day charter that also holds a license to berley, giving us a greater chance of attracting the Great Whites to our vessel and keeping them in close proximity! In October 2011 we launched our new vessel, MV Calypso Star 2. The vessel is state of the art and provides all guests with the best in comfort, safety and all the creatures comfort of home, including hot showers! Dont miss your opportunity to be mesmerised by these remarkable creatures as you see them face to face in their natural environment from the safety of our cage, in the clear waters surrounding the Neptune IslandsWith the success of the addition of the new vessel, we saw the opportunity to expand our business operation and offer our customers more than just the one experience. This saw the introduction of our Swim with the Sealions tours in 2011. All aboard the MV Calypso Star for a journey to the playground of the seas very cute and very playful 'puppy dogs', the Australian Sea Lions at Hopkins Island. From the moment we arrive the Sea Lions bound out to the vessel excitedly inviting the guests to join them. The tour provides the opportunity to jump in and swim, viewing the mesmerised skills and abilities of these gorgeous animals, or sit back and enjoy the action from the comfort of the vessel. The tour is interaction guaranteed, environmentally conscious, educational and a whole lot of fun for the whole family!
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Calypso Star is the only way to see these amazing animals. Friendly Staff, Quality Food, 1st Class Boat spacious, met way past my expectations. We had a little bit of a rough ride out which is obviously out of anyones control but after seeing the other charter behind us the whole way out my word was i happy to be on the Calypso star. Sharks were around the boat almost straight away which why wouldn't they the do hunt for food and not music. Every one on the boat got to witness the sharks down in the cage throughout the whole day we weren't rushed in and out of the cage was a very well run charter to make sure everyone experienced the same throughout the day. Could not ask for more in any of the crew they even made you hot drinks when asked. Could go on and on how good this was but if you are considering Cage Shark Diving there is no one else i would recommend and you will not be disappointed in the experience. Also they have a deal with the Brand New YHA were you get a free nights accommodation.

CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for all your fabulous words about our company and our experience. We pride ourselves on providing the absolutely best experience possible for all of our guests and by hearing that we have exceeded all of your expectations we know that we have done just that! Unfortunately yes the seas are out of our control and it can sometimes be a bumpy ride but some sea sickness medication can usually fix that.
Thanks for joining us for the magfnificent experience that is shark cage diving and hopefully we will see you again one day :)

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Would do it all again tomorrow. Extremely well run and made to feel like nothing is a hassle for the crew. Every single person on the boat that dived saw great white sharks. The food was amazing with plenty for everyone and as many soft drinks u like. Worth every cent and if you are planning on doing it go with these guys.

CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Looks like we may be seeing you again some day Jarrod :). Thank you for sharing your trip with everyone with your review. We love hearing people's thoughts about the trip and knowing that it has been an overall completely satisfying experience.
We are pleased you enjoyed all the food, drinks, facilities, our crews attention and of course the magnificent Great White Sharks!!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great boat, great crew, and the shark watching was incredible. Had plenty of time in the cage and being on the deck and watching the sharks swarm around the others is a blast as well. So happy I did this and did it with Calypso!

Thank you for your review. We strive to provide a first class operation so seeing the title of your review is very pleasing!
We are stoked that you came onboard with us to experience the thrill of shark cage diving and are glad that you enjoyed all the facilities we have.
Hope to see you again one day :)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

After a nervous entry into the cage (to get confidence in breathing under water - I have never scubered before) the sharks seemed marginally smaller under water. They happily cruised past our cage, occasionally checking us out, or so it seemed.
It was an amazing day, full of shark sightings (there were 8 swimming by the day we went out).
Quality Vessel - very comfortable, the Crew were informative, helpful & gave top service all day long (where did all the food keep coming from - it was beautiful).
Very memorable experience - one to be shared!

CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

They are very inquisitive creatures and certainly do cruise past the cage and check out the guests in the cage. We are very pleased to hear that you were able to calm the nerves and jump in the cage for this amazing experience! And how fantastic that you encountered 8 sharks on the day you were out.
Thank you for writing a review and hopefully we can welcome you onboard again one day :)

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I went to Port Lincoln this October and did the shark dive as a birthday gift. It is a 2 hours flight from Sydney to Adelaide with Jetstar, Virgin or Qantas, tickets at less than 90 if purchased in advance. Then there is and another 45 minutes from Adelaide to Port Lincoln, you can fly Qantas or Regional Express, for around 120 each way including bags. This flight is in smaller planes, the view is beautiful you can see the whole Port Lincoln coast, but it can be a big adventure if the winds are strong…
Port Lincoln is a beautiful city and it is a Mecca for sea aficionados. I was there for 5 nights and did the white shark dive, the lea lion swim and tuna swim which were all AMAZING!!! If you are a diver, you should definitely check it out, there are so many things to do, I wish I had stayed longer…
If you are on a budget, the best place to stay is definitely the YHA Port Lincoln, I have been to many backpackers in my life but it is by far the nicest flashbacker I have ever seen. Debi, the owner does take care of it like if it is her own home and you can definitely see the attention to detail and the willingness to provide the best customer service experience. It is a backpackers paradise, with Free WI fi and even free condoms, big BBQ place, ping pong table, Big TVs in the rooms, and bed lights and plugs on each bed and a clean, huge brand new kitchen. They also have a really cool cage with a life size shark model at the reception, so you can prepare your spirit for the real stuff and send fun pics to your friends.
The place they take you to do the shark dive, Neptune Island, is a very long boat trip from Port Lincoln, it takes 2 hours each way, and it can be challenging with rough seas, so if you tend to get seasick, don’t even think twice, make sure you take your sea sickness tablets, you wouldn't like to ruin this awesome activity with sea sickness. I used to work on cruise ships and hardly ever get sea sick, but the day we did the dive with Calypso the winds where really strong and I was glad I took the tablets before. When the sea is rough, it gets even rougher when you are in the water inside the cage, so chances are if you were not sea sick on the boat, you can get sea sick inside the cage, so take your tablets.
There are two companies that you can do the shark dive with, Calypso Star and Adventure Bay, and they are pretty different, I was lucky enough to try both and would definitely recommend Calypso for many reasons.
Calypso is licensed to berley, so they can throw the bait in the water and attract the shark until you are literally 5 cm from the massive jaws on the other side of the cage whereas Adventure Bay does not have the license so they rely on audio sound vibrations to attract the sharks, Calypso also have a much more equipped boat, there are coaches and places to walk around and seat as supposed to the plastic seats of the Adventure Charter boat which looks more like a fishermen’s boat. The Calypso boat is also like 3 times bigger than the Adventure Bay charter boat. I was really glad the sea conditions on the day I went shark diving with Adventure Bay was quite flat, cause it would not be an enjoyable experience if I had the weather conditions the other way around.
The equipment of Calypso is better too, even their wetsuits, the water temperature when I went diving with Adventure bay was 15C and on the Calypso day was 14C, and I was much colder with the Adventure Bay wetsuits. Even the food at Calypso is much better quality and quantity, and you can help yourself anytime. I also loved the fun video they put together at Calypso that you can buy after the trip. At Adventure Bay, they upload the pictures of the dive on their website and you can get it for free which is quite nice, but with Calypso they film your whole experience, since when you board the vessel til you come out of the water with the adrenaline pumping and a big smile in your face!
I also had some issues with Adventure Bay’s reservation. I booked their Ultimate experience that consisted of white shark, sea lions and tuna swim 3 months in advance to avoid any issues, and just couple of days prior to the trip I received a call from the Adventure Charters owner advising me that the day I was booked for the sea lion swim did not exist. In the end I had to rearrange my whole trip and ended up losing a day at work and spending an extra 200 with last minute flight changes. In the end, Paul was really nice and accommodating and it all worked out, but if I knew in advance the differences between the companies and the fact that Calypso also offer the sea lions and the Tuna swim with much better quality I would had avoided some headaches.
I just jumped on their website now and saw that Calypso has finally updated their first page and are now advertising the sea lions and the tuna swim. I was so into diving with the sharks when I flew to Port Lincoln that wasn’t even giving much thought to the other activities, but I have to mention, if you do go to Port Lincoln, don’t just fly in do the white shark and fly out, it would be a pity, the other activities are also wonderful. I had a great time with the sea lion snorkel, you get to be so close to them, and they are so intelligent and interact with you, it is incredible.
In conclusion, I saw three sharks with Adventure Bay and 5 with Calypso. The sighting time of the sharks with Calypso was much better than with Adventure Bay and we could also see the sharks feeding behavior. The spot in Nepture Island that you go shark diving at is a bay at Nepture Island and I could see the boat from one company when diving with another. It seemed like the shark sighting with Adventure Bay would only occur on the short breaks between changing the people inside the cage, when Calypso would stop berleying and the sharks would wonder off to our direction, but they were really brief sighting as there was nothing to keep the sharks entertained there.
To see those giants of the ocean in their natural habitat, and being sooo close to its powerful jaws in the security of the cage is a mind blowing experience, white sharks are so beautiful, so powerful. We were lucky enough to have a 5 meters one bumping its nose in the cage while following the bait, the cage bounced back and forward but I still manage to get an amazing shot of the big jaws. It has something that always been on my bucket list and I am so glad I have done it, It was a magic day that I will never forget! Thank you Calypso crew, you are great!
I hope you will find this feedback helpful… If you like adrenalin, sea creatures and diving don’t waste your time, go to Port Lincoln and get wet with Calypso Star and the white sharks!

9  Thank claudiakishi
CalypsoManagement, Manager at Calypso Star Charters - Shark Cage Diving, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank you for your awesome detailed review of your experience with us, i is always very rewarding for us not only sharing the actual day with our guests, but being able to read their thoughts of it after!
We are so stoked you were able to cross this one off your bucket list and you had such a magic day out with us. It certainly is mind blowing seeing these spectacular creatures in their own environment!
Hope to see you again some day :)