“Swimming in Shark infested waters.....check!!!”

Adventure Bay Charters
Great White Shark Cruise with Optional Cage Dive and Aqua Sub from Port Lincoln
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Port Lincoln
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Adventure Bay Charters is a multi award winning tourism business that offers some of South Australia’s best water based wildlife encounters. Featuring the Australian Sea lions, the Great White Shark, and the world’s first shark “Aqua Sub”, a glass underwater viewing area where you can view sharks while staying completely dry. All encounters are MUST DO experiences when visiting Australia and the Eyre Peninsula. Adventure Bay Charters is the fastest growing and most awarded tourism operator in Port Lincoln and was awarded into the Hall of Fame for Best Adventure tour in 2012 and Major tourist attraction in 2014. Hall of fame recognizes three consecutive years in each category for being the best operator in each category and is an outstanding contribution to South Australian tourism. Adventure Bay Charters was also named Best Tourist Attraction in South Australia for 2015. A family owned and operated business with strong ties and close relationships with customers and the community; Adventure Bay Charters is at the forefront of great tourism experiences in Australia. What are you waiting for? Let the Adventure Bay Crew take you on the ride of a lifetime!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Swimming in Shark infested waters.....check!!!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was the trip of a lifetime. What a great opportunity to see these magnificent creatures in a more natural state. It's not to say that I wasn't envious of the other boats and the constant action they were getting....I was. But I can truly appreciate how hard the crew worked to attract these big fish. My only complaint if you can call it that is that I'd wish the crew had had more interaction with us. I understand they had a job to do to attract the sharks our way but it would have felt more friendly like if they had engaged in more conversation or at least explained to us why they were so passionate about their jobs. We had a great time and were fortunate enough to see the great whites in the cage as opposed to most of the other tourists on the tour who were not so lucky. I would recommend them for sure but if you are looking for the "JAWS" experience then I'd suggest going with someone else! Hope to be back again!!!

Visited January 2013
AdventureBayCharters, Front Office Manager at Adventure Bay Charters, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thanks for your great feedback Melanie! Our crew are normally a talkative bunch so I'm sorry you didn't experience this part of them, they believe in what they do and feel sharks shouldn't be portrayed as scary but as magnificent. We'd love to have you back and you'll probably find they won't shut up about sharks! :)

Adelaide, Australia
“Best xmas present ever!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Trip taken on 5th Jan 2013- I gave this experience to my partner for his xmas pressie. Despite my initial trepidation, what a magnificent experience - 3 dives down in the cage and 9 sharks later, we are raving to all who will listen to us about using this company to take you through an experience of a lifetime. Due to the winds, it was a really rough ride out to Neptune Island, and throughout the day many people got ill, but Stacy was a brilliant hostess for the company, working hard to keep everyone comfortable all day (630am til 630pm). Also, our 'old salt' skipper was knowledgeable, calm when some of us panicked getting used to the breathing lines, and a great boatie through the huge waves! This will be a day we will NEVER forget! Great job Adventure Bay Charters! Jane and Les

Visited January 2013
Thanks for your feedback! Coming at a good time of year certainly helps your chances of a once in a lifetime trip and its sounds like that's exactly what you got! Having said that it can always be a twice in a lifetime trip! ;)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Swimming with Great Whites!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The ride out to the Neptune Island's wasn't the greatest but it wasn't anyones fault but mother nature herself. Make sure you take plenty of motion sickness pills to help prevent sea sickness. Once the boat arrived to the island the water was calm and by noon it was sunny and clear blue skies! The crew were nice, honest and just pleasant to be around. The guides were able to joke with the passengers and seemed concerned with everyone's welfare while on board (a few people couldn't quite find their sea legs). There was plenty of food on board and water was always available.

I will say the though of just breathing through a respirator is something that takes getting used to but the guides are very nice about it and have a lot of patients. They really want you to have the best experience possible that you can have. Once you get the hang of it and forget about it you just want to stay in the cage! We were even playing air guitar's in the cage to the music playing for the sharks!

I will say I chose this company because of their beliefs of not using chum to attract sharks. It all depends on the sharks mood of what boat(s) they hang around. But as for today, there were a couple of sharks seen upfront in the morning and then nothing but clear blue water. The staff was great. After lunch, they let anyone dive as much as they wanted as most of the passengers had given up on seeing a shark and had changed out of their wetsuits. In the afternoon there were a few other sharks seen that made the trip worth it and being allowed to be in the cage more than once increased the chances of seeing the elusive sharks today!

This was one of my bucket list items that I was able to check off thanks to Adventure Bay! I will definitely be back for another cage dive with them!!

Visited January 2013
Thanks for the feedback Jeremy, it's much appreciated! Glad you had a great time, we'd love to have you back again :)
Adelaide, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wonderful trip”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We've just returned from a family holiday in Tumby Bay and one of our adventures was a trip out to swim with the sea lions with Adventure Bay Charters. I'd booked with them as they had excellent reviews and all the dealings I had with them prior to the trip left me very confident we would be in good hands.

I wasn't wrong. The boat was less fancy than we'd imagined (more functional than attractive) but the staff were very friendly (Stacey and Boz) and the captain (Matt) clearly is very passionate about the animals and places his trips visit. They showed us a film of sea lions in the wild on the way out to the cove where the swim would take place and that provided great context for why the sea lions would be where they were.

The trip there was about 1 1/2 hrs and pretty bumpy but not sea-sickness-inducing bumpy which was good. The cove itself is beautiful and the water is so clear, even a nervous swimmer like me felt comfortable jumping in. The sea lions were a bit hesitant at first but soon there were several of them frolicking around the swimmers and it was truly amazing. I forgot all about my fear of the water as I watched them swimming around me.

I think we were there for about 1 1/2 hours then sadly all returned to the boat for the trip back to Port. Captain Matt took us back via the outstandingly beautiful coastline and we were given more fruit and sandwiches as we went. They rolled the blinds up on the left side of the boat for that part so I would recommend getting a seat on that side so you get an uninterrupted view.

The only thing I think is missing from this trip is a photo of each visitor with the sea lions. They take a photo on the boat before it left the port and I know they took some photos under the water for people but we didn't manage to make it on to any of those. Only a small omission though and of course we have the memories to keep.

I would definitely recommend this company to anyone thinking of doing a sea lion trip out of Port Lincoln. There seemed to be some larger companies selling tours too but the ecologically sound way Adventure Bay Charters do their business and their obvious passion makes them the stand out choice in my books.

As a footnote, we took our 2 yr old on the boat with us and he loved it. He couldn't go in the water as it was too cold to go in without a wetsuit but he watched the sea lions from the boat.

Visited December 2012
Great feedback and we'll definitely take your suggestion into consideration! Will be sure to pass on your kind words to the crew :)
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Get your teeth into this!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

After much nagging I took my youngest son over to Port Lincoln to swim with the great whites....and great they certainly were! Adventure Bay Charters were well organised with very friendly and helpful crew on board to make the trip there and back enjoyable. Plenty to eat, comfy boat and, once we got past a slow start, plenty of sharks to see as well. OMG they're big, and so impressive! This is something you've just got to do!

Visited December 2012
Awesome feedback, thank you! Great Whites can never resist a good ACDC tune ;)