“2 Night Stay”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Port Lincoln
Port Lincoln, Australia
“2 Night Stay”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I visit the area quite frequently and this is the second time I have stayed in this hotel. I have found the staff to be very friendly and service is of a high standard. Both bar and restaurant food is of quality and pricing is reasonable. I would recommend for business or pleasure. One tip, when you book ask for a room looking over the bay as this view can't be beaten.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a room overlooking the bay or you could end up with a car park view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank david_holbrook65
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and coming for a return visit with us at the Port Lincoln Hotel.

I am delighted you experienced friendly staff, quality food and an overall, enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Diana Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I don't ask for much really when I visit a hotel. Affordable, clean, honest. "One out of three ain't bad" must be the saying for the Port Lincoln Hotel.

I saw that the Hotel featured a pool and even though I was going in the middle of a hot summer I decided to enquire via the Facebook page. I asked is the pool heated all year round. The reply I received was, and I quote "The pool is solar heated" - OK, so the pool is heated. Lovely. What they don't tell you is that the pool heating is non existent. The actual beach water was warmer than the pool water. It was freezing. Are you joking Port Lincoln Hotel? How about telling your potential customers that the pool is solar heated, but we are having issues with it, or that even though we are trying to heat it, it is currently at such and such temperature. Don't just give a response that was obviously bait advertising.

On check-in I walked up to the counter and greeted the clerk with a smile. She did not smile back, but pointed to a woman walking in our general direction. She checked us in. No small talk. No smile. Here's your room. Take the elevator. Wow, thanks for the walm welcome to Port Lincoln!

The room itself was clean. There were some slight things that I would've expected from a 4.5 star hotel. There was hair in the bath. The toilet paper was left as if just used. Am I expecting too much?

The view was a huge letdown. Even though I requested a top or near level stay a month in advance, I was given level 3 which really was a view of trees and the rooftop of the hotel entry that had rubbish on it. Picture provided.

I had read that some people could hear the music while trying to sleep. On the Thursday night I could very slightly hear the karaoke until around midnight. It wasn't that much of a big deal. I think the floors above would fair better.

Checkout was good. This person was friendly, seemed like she cared about her job. It was nice to see it.

Parking was good. It was well lit at night. Though completely full. I imagine if you're arriving late Friday you might not get a park due to the club/pub/restaurant they have.

The restaurant on ground floor was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VippiN
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the honest feedback you have provided in regards to your experience and sorry to read that you feel people should leave Port Lincoln because of our hotel.

I have followed up with housekeeping and reception in regards to the poor service you received and have also passed on your positive comments in regards to the restaurant and other general areas of the hotel.

We often receive positive comments in regards to our service, so I am disappointed to read your review. On behalf of all of us here at the Port Lincoln Hotel, I am sorry that you did not leave happy, as our guests so often do.

Yours sincerely,
Port lincoln
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Upon checking in I asked what time we were to be picked up for our shark cage dive. I was informed that because I had not advised them we were diving we were not on the list. As this was my second time, I assured them I did tell them this, but was told I was absolute wrong and that I would have to contact Calypso myself and sort it out. Calypso assured me that it was confirmed with them and that they would contact the hotel to tell them this. I later went to reception and got someone different and asked if it had been sorted, and was again met with a rude gruff staff member who suggested next time I make sure I advise them! Really! We decided to have a drink by the pool but the type of beer we wanted wasn't in that bar, so upon calling the downstairs bar I was informed it would cost me an extra $4 to bring the drinks to us. After explaining to them that what we wanted wasn't up there, he agreed to wave the $4. Two young girls delivered our drinks but told us we couldn't have them in the pool area, which is fine, so we asked for plastic cup (as suggested on the signage on the gate) but she told us they had no plastic cups. After pointing out the sign she made it quite clear this was inconvenient but in her gruff manner she walked off to see what she could do. Unfortunately most staff we came across seemed rude and I felt that we were putting them out. We also had no bottle opener in our room, so I called reception and requested one. I was told to come down stairs and get it myself, and they would charge $1 to my room which I would have refunded when I left!

Overall for a lovely clean hotel, the staff really let it down. I felt a friendly smile on their faces wouldn't have been to much to expect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jan D
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Jan,

I am very disappointed to read the title of your review, as we very rarely have feedback about our staff conducting themselves in a rude manner with guests. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Port Lincoln with friends and the shark cage dive earlier this month.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, however I am also disappointed we didn't learn of your concerns until now. At your convenience, I invite you to contact me any time at hotel so I can discuss this with you. I have been in touch with Calypso to discuss your booking and to ensure confusion does not occur again in the future with more visitors.

In regards to bottle openers, we no longer have these in rooms for several reasons, but can more than happily deliver to rooms on request. A $15 bond is placed on room accounts, and charged if the guest wishes to keep as a momento.

I was pleased to read the cleanliness of the room, quality of your sleep and the shark cage dive were all highlights of your trip. Jan, as mentioned previously, I am more than happy to discuss your recent stay further should you wish to call me at the Port Lincoln Hotel.

Diana
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My friend Phil and I visited Port Lincoln and stayed at the self titled hotel with mine host Di providing all the support, advice and help you could need. Personally I've travelled and stayed all over the world and whether it was a gir tent in Mongolia, a B and B in Nice, The Marriot in New York or the Ramada in Fishkill , 5 to 1 star, my biggest problem has been a comfortable bed. What an incredible bonus then to stay at the Port Lincoln and lay on that bed and find it like the one I have at home, a pillowtop and as comfortable bed as I've ever slept in!
Perfect for a 13 day tour at sea the following day to see the Great White sharks in action.
Finally a hotel that considers a good night sleep as its main aim!!!! So to Di and all the amazing staff at the Port Lincoln, thanks for making our stay so memorable! We will be directing all our friends to your venue!

Room Tip: Choose any room - they ALL have comfortable beds with pillow top mattresses! Of course it is more ex...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris L
portlincolnhotel, Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Chris,

What a great TripAdvisor review - thank you so much for taking the time to let the world know about your recent trip to the Eyre Peninsula and your stay here at the Port Lincoln Hotel.

You are very kind to write a review about the assistance and tips offered to make the most of your stay here in Port Lincoln - it is what we try to do each time with guests. It's important to us that visitors get out and about, sample the local produce and explore the land and water based activities.

The feedback we receive about the 'Cloud Toppers' on our beds is always nice to read - as yes, we are a hotel that cares about people's comfort and a good night of rest.

Chris, I hope you and Phil do come back here for another visit with friends - your cricket trip would be most welcome!

Thanks again, I do appreciate the feedback as do the hard working staff here,
Cheers,
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights January 2013, Excellent staff, ultra clean room. Fantastic meals in Sharkys. Position fantastic overlooking Boston Bay and shopping and beach so close. We will be back. Paul & Ros.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms excellent for views and privacy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie255093
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Paul and Ros,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor - I am very happy to read you both enjoyed your comfortable stay, the clean rooms and the local shopping!

The view from Boston Bay from our ocean view rooms, or top floor suites is quite spectacular. We often receive feedback that it is worth paying that little bit extra to enjoy the view.

We hope to see you both back here again in the near future,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here primarily as I wanted to go cage diving and the Port Lincoln Hotel was the best rated accommodation in Port Lincoln. First the positive. The staff were friendly and efficient. They checked us in quickly and took care of the shuttle from the hotel to the marina for the cage dive.

Now the negatives. I had booked months ago and booked a king size bed with the "stunning ocean view". We got 2 queen size beds and the view consisted mostly of a dirty tin roof and trees. My partner complained and asked for another room. She was told bad luck, they were fully booked out. For a stunning ocean view we had to go to the restaurant or the swimming pool. Which leads to another story.

The pool looks great and the view from the pool is incredible. However there is no shade whatsoever. Also the pool is supposed to be solar heated. It was freezing when we were there and the sun was certainly shining.

Overall, disappointing.

Room Tip: When you book a "stunning ocean view". Ask what floor you are on? Don't accept accept...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew764
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Andrew,

I am delighted you and your wife came from Melbourne to enjoy a holiday in Port Lincoln and a shark cage dive. It's an amazing experience and I hope you have told your friends it's a must do.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff - welcoming you and being efficient, friendly and assisting with transfer bookings with the shark cage dive.

In regards to the room and your request for a king bed that was not followed up on allocation, I am sorry. I was disturbed to read that one of our staff told your wife 'bad luck' given we were booked out. I am confident our staff would never so that to a customer - so I am disappointed to learn you felt this was the case. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and I will happily follow up with the Rooms Division Manager.

As I have said to someone else who commented on the solar heated pool being cold - Port Lincoln has not experienced many consecutive days over a certain temperature where the winter chill can be taken off the water. We are looking into alternative heating at the moment.

So I am sorry that your overall experience with us was disappointing. If you decide to come back and visit us again soon, which I hope you do, I hope it is more enjoyable for you and your wife.

Best wishes and a happy new year to you and your wife,
Reviewed January 12, 2013

lovely large hotel which is spotless and the staff very helpfull! i myself and am disable in that i have no legs but the hotel is fully accessible in all areas! highly reccomended.
the food and drink is all top class aswell!!

Room Tip: there are balconys available if you ask and the view from the rooms varys so ask for a sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben S
Dear Ben S,

It was our pleasure to have you come and stay with us - and so delighted you not only enjoyed a comfortable stay with us, but a shark cage dive and delicious food and drinks to celebrate!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again when you next visit Australia.

Thank you for your comments, as well as having the determination to fulfill a life long dream of a shark cage dive, despite your disability and life challenge. I am glad we were able to make you feel comfortable here at the Port Lincoln Hotel.