“Nice hotel, but not worth the family price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Port Lincoln Hotel

Port Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Port Lincoln
Adelaide, Australia
“Nice hotel, but not worth the family price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel was quite nice, the staff are it's absolute biggest asset. Amazing in every contact we had. We travelled with 2 kids and the room was pretty pricey for a town view room with not much room to move. The "solar heated" pool was freezing. We ate in sharkys, which was a good meal, great atmosphere and again great staff.

Not sure I would stay there again as a family

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BrentonandTina
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Brenton and Tina,

Happy New Year to you and your family - and thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review for the Port Lincoln Hotel.

Our staff are one of our biggest assets yes. I am very proud of the way they conduct themselves and offer to make our guest stays as enjoyable as possible. I will pass on your feedback and sure at this very busy time of year, they will appreciate it.

The solar heated pool has not enjoyed too many consistent sunny days of late to warm it up, so we have been told it has been a little cold. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as you had hoped. In regards to the size of rooms, the town view rooms have either a King bed or two queen beds. Sorry that you felt the rooms was too pricey and not large enough for your family.

The atmosphere in Sharky's is great and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the venue and your meal with your family.

I hope we can welcome you and your family back again soon to the Port Lincoln Hotel and would be more than happy to discuss one of our family bunk rooms if they are available. I am not sure if this was explained to you for this recent stay, but they were booked out for most of December.

Best wishes and thank you again for your feedback,
Diana Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hungarian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were generally happy with our stay in an ocean view balcony room at the Port Lincoln Hotel. Our room had a gorgeous view of the bay, and it was lovely to sit on the balcony and enjoy the breeze. And thanks to the thick glass and our relatively high floor, we couldn't really hear the noise from the NYE celebrations at the Sarins restaurant when the balcony door was closed.

Our room was large and clean, with plenty of room for our portacot and for the baby to play on floor after the furniture was shifted a bit. The room had two queen beds, two armchairs, coffee table, work desk with chair, large flatscreen tv with foxtel and digital free-to-air channels (but with unreliable reception), and annoyingly, only one bedside table. Tea/coffee facilities were provided and the minibar was expensive as expected. It was cheaper to buy alcohol and soft drinks at the liquor store across the road. The bathroom was reasonably sized with a good sized shower (no bathtub) and plenty of towels were provided.

Our room package included buffet breakfast: cereals, toast, crumpets, juices, small selection of pastries (infrequently replenished, if at all), sausages, bacon, mushrooms, eggs (poached or fried freshly to order), hash browns, croissants. There was an adequate selection of food, the poached eggs were done very nicely and the hot food in buffet was actually hot and replenished fairly frequently. However, it was expensive ($25pp) as most hotel buffet breakfasts are.

The hotel had a guest laundry, a small but well equipped gym and a small-ish pool overlooking the bay (it was not really suitable for small children or for laps, but was nice to lounge around). The hotel was conveniently located, and was a short walk to other pubs and cafes and a 10-15min walk to supermarkets.

Peeves: The beds and pillows were quite soft, we're used to firmer bed and pillows (but lots of pillows were provided). Internet charges were quite steep. The shower water pressure wasn’t very good and the shower head was much too low for anyone over 6ft (like my husband, great if you’re 5ft5 like me). The blockout curtains didn’t overlap so sunlight started to stream in at dawn, thankfully the portacot was in a darker corner of room so the baby wasn't woken up too early. It should be noted that there is a 1.5% surcharge for credit card payments.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PamNord
Dear Pam,

Happy New Year to you and thank you for staying with us at the Port Lincoln Hotel and dining in Sarin's Restaurant.

Your review has provided me with some great feedback, so thank you for taking the time to write. The majority of your comments were positive and I have passed on to our team. We have experienced the busiest month in the hotel's history, so to keep the staff providing exceptional service is vital. They have kept up with the fast pace and constant stream of guests throughout the hotel, so I am delighted to hear you were happy with the service during your stay.

In regards to your 'peeves' - we are always happy to provide different pillows on request. We try to have 'a happy medium' for soft/hard pillows - a very hard thing to manage with guests all having different expectations. Each bed has a 'Cloud Topper' so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy a slightly softer bed than you are used to. The shower pressure is something we are monitoring and we are looking at refitting the show heads across the hotel.

I will follow up as well in regards to the curtains that you mentioned didn't overlap. We have had all of the curtains dry cleaned after the Winter months, so I am sorry if your room was not as dark as expected.

Pam thank you again for your valuable feedback, I do appreciate it. I hope we can welcome you and your family back to the Port Lincoln Hotel again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wonderfully caring staff willing to give extra service. Best nights sleep I'd had whilst travelling. Clean, luxurious, heaven near the beach... Facilities met and exceeded the demanding needs of a family of 4 children and 2 adults... I would recommend to everyone. Thank you

• Stayed December 2012
Dear LyndeeLoo,

A very happy new year to you and your family - and thank you for sharing your recent wonderful stay here at the Port Lincoln Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am very proud of the way our staff conduct themselves at this hotel and go the extra step to ensure guests have tourist information for their holiday, exceptional service and show care and consideration at all times.

Our facilities are five years old and with national award winning service, we often hear we have exceeded guest expectations for a regional hotel. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed their experience and you will recommend our venue in the future.

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable 2013 and I hope we can welcome you back to the Port Lincoln Hotel again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel with a work colleague for 2 nights recently. We were extremely impressed by the staff, they were so helpful and friendly. Ate in Sarins both nights... food exceptional. Had seafood both nights, and prices were very reasonable, with lots of seafood on the plate compared to what we have had in Adelaide. Fantastic view from our oceanview balcony room. Would love to take my husband there next time. Breakfast was good, however would like to have known about the A la carte menu on the first day as would have had that instead of full buffet, but great none the less

Room Tip: Oceanview Balcony Rooms are fantastic, great view over Boston Bay
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Angel2910,

What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Port Lincoln Hotel. Have you booked to return with your husband yet? I certainly hope so!

The feedback we have received of late in regards to our staff and the quality of food in Sarin's, has been exceptional. We are proud to be a part of Australia's Seafood Frontier and present local produce on our menus.

The ocean view rooms are very popular and we now enjoy high occupancy with corporate bookings during the week and wedding or leisure guests over the weekends. This is why we encourage people to book early to avoid missing out!

I have passed on the feedback to Sarin's staff in regards to the breakfast menu, thank you for letting me know.

We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back again - as well as welcoming your husband for a holiday with you.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Overall I was happy with my stay, apart from on the Saturday night I could hear music (I think coming from the bar) till very late (till around midnight), even though I was on the 5th floor (there are only 6 floors).

As I was there for work purposes and working all weekend, I wanted a good nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
portlincolnhotel, Public Relations Manager at Port Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and providng us with feedback in regards to noise from the bars on the ground floor.

Our hotel does have six floors and Duty Managers monitor the noise levels across the entire hotel every time there is entertainment to ensure we are not exceeding levels that are acceptable to our guests.

When we receive complaints from guests, these are managed immediately - so I am unsure if you contacted our 24hour reception desk to alert them to your concerns. If so, I hope you were satisfied with the way we handled the issue.

I hope you do chose to come back and stay with us for business or pleasure in the future and we can accommodate a room at the northern end of the hotel if available, which is further away from the areas with entertainment on the weekends. On a still night, noise does travel, but we can do our best to limit the interruption to your sleep through room allocation on request.

Best wishes and thank you again for your review,
dillillibah QLD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Port Lincoln hotel from the 8th to the 12th of November. The staff and friendly and always ready to provide great service, our suite on the 6th floor was very comfortable with great views over the bay. At the airport I discovered that I had left my mobile phone in the suite, the receptionist arranged for a taxi to take it out to the airport, my phone and I left together on the mid morning flight! This is our 3rd stay the Port Lincoln, we will be back for a 4th.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elainedillillibahQLD
Dear Elainedillillibah,

Thank you for providing such a great review so everyone can read about our professional and caring staff. It's not a nice feeling knowing you have left something behind - so I was delighted to read in our daily log that your phone was returned to you before you flew out - and happier to read about this on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to seeing you back for your 4th trip. In the new year we will have some exciting new opportunities for our guests to enjoy local produce and tourist attractions, so be sure to let us know if you need any information.

Best wishes and thank you again,
NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

As I climbed into bed the first night I found something fabulous....there was a feather underlay on the bed! Oh what bliss! It makes me want to go and buy one for my own bed. It was so instantly relaxing to lie on it.
The room itself was good too. The shower was particulary good with easy access for the arthritic member of our family.
We ate in the resuarant the second night we stayed, the first was simply too noisy. Both food and service were excellent, but as a non seafood eater, it would be nice to have more options available.
Having been told at reception that we needed our room key card to operate the lifts we discovered that one of the lifts wouldnt take the key card. We returned to reception only to be told that the lift we were in didnt need a card to operate despite the instructions from both the receptionist and the posted instructions on the lift wall. Perhaps a change in signage is needed.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tounga,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at the Port Lincoln Hotel. I have passed on your feedback to staff and will raise the issues you mentioned at our staff meeting.

We have so many comments on 'The Cloud' which is the topper we use on all of the beds here at the Port Lincoln Hotel. Feel free to contact me directly and I can supply some details for you. People often let us know that they have the best sleep ever with us during their stay - the beds are part of the reason visitors re-book and come back for another holiday.

I will follow up on the confusion over use of the lift - it is one of our security measures for all guests that lift access is via the room key only. I am sorry if this caused any confusion during your stay.