“what a shame!”

Coorong Wilderness Lodge
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have driven past many times and also camped nearby at beautiful Parnka Point. Curiosity called, so we went to see what this place was all about and whether we should stay there on our next trip. An awful lot of government money has gone into setting up the infrastructure there. (We also run a bush and beach retreat so know how much money and work goes into it). The setting is naturally beautiful but sadly no one is up keeping the infrastructure. Its like a ghost town, has rubbish blowing about, overflowing bins, unkept amenities for campsite, broken windows, screens, doors and lights. No one came to meet us so we just wandered about wishing we could have been given all this infrastructure for our retreat (restaurant, cabins, dorms etc). The cabins and restaurant look great, modern,airy, good views just unloved. Such a shame, it could be an amazing place if someone spent the time looking after it. It appeared to have been closed for at least 6 months judging by the state of the place but I see there have been recent reviews from guests. So we were baffled, is it open or deserted??

Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank wendy o
There are newer reviews for Coorong Wilderness Lodge

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is the most Beautiful and special places one could imagine. Am hesitant to broadcast too loudly for fear that social media will end up spoiling what is a total gem of a place. However as there is little or no advertising for the lodge, I think its worth it to spread some news of our most positive experience. It was by total accident that we found our way to this most sacred of lands. We had such a warm welcome from Margie and felt so welcome and so fortunate that we stumbled across it. Margie is an amazing woman, one of the Ngarrindjeri people of the lower Murray river and the Coorong. She shared many a story with us and we in return.The Coorong lodge with the elders aim to preserve the natural landscape and also the Ngarrindjeri stories and knowledge for all to respect and experience.
We kayaked...and walked and felt a very special and inspiring connection with this place,full of birds, stories, wild and unspoilt. We felt very fortunate to have met Margie and also to have spent such a peaceful time there. Thank you from our hearts.

Room Tip: We camped, but the rooms all have fabulous views are look very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank barbaraDenHaag
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I, too, read the reviews and admit to a certain degree of trepidation as we drove along the 3k track off the main road. And, on first impression, the lodge main building and the lodges themselves were indeed a little tired looking. But look beyond that, let the scales drop from your eyes, and you will see what has to be some of the most beautiful coastal scenery anywhere. Yes it's just a few klicks off the main road, but wow can you feel the wilderness. The wind was blowing in from the sea the day we were there so no kayaking for us sadly. Instead we walked along the shoreline of the saltwater lagoon to find a spot out of the wind and lie for an hour watching the pelicans fishing nearby. Dinner of Coorong mullet was simple and tasty. Our hosts were gentle and friendly. The sunset was spectacular. Most of the previous reviews are pretty fair. This isn't somewhere to come for a luxury break and the general feel of the lodge is rustic. Don't let that put you off though. The rewards of having a little piece of wilderness on your doorstep far outweigh the modest deprivation of a couple of slices of bread, long life milk, weetbix and vegemite for breakfast. Go.

Room Tip: There are only a handful of lodges. Each has pretty amazing views. The last one, number six, probabl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank LuanshyaTim
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Welcomed warmly by Margaret when I arrived at 7.30pm on 26/10/13, after riding around Kangaroo Island on the Annual Bike SA tour in the most inclement weather I've experienced in a long time. I relished the space this wonderful place offered. Not least it was a place to dry my tent, take a shower or two, sleep in a bed and get dressed standing up!

It embraced me with solitude, silence and space. Margaret and I shared a common interest in the power of stories and she generously offered her personal history and special connection with this land, her home country. I felt privileged and honoured to be there and to hear the story.

Coorong Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful place to stay; highly recommend...

T

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Belinda H
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Wilderness Lodge. The cabin was comfortable and warm and I especially liked being able to lay in bed and look at the Coorong through the large windows and glass doors. There was a deck outside and if it had been warmer I would have been outside, but unfortunately it was winter and rainy.

It was wonderful to see the flocks of different birds and to watch the clouds and rain move across the sky.

A basket of breakfast supplies and snacks was given to me when I booked in, with choice of foods. The dinner menu wasn't large but the food was so delicious. The first night I ate fish freshly caught from the Coorong and the second night I had delicious roast lamb and a large assortment of vegetables preceded by delicious pumpkin soup. Both nights I was also served dessert.

The Lodge staff are so very friendly and helpful and I felt right at home immediately.

The Coorong is a magnificent place and the lodge is run by such knowledgeable people, it will be a delight to return to take advantage of all that is offered by the lodge and the surroundings.

Room Tip: Each cabin faces the Coorong to take advantage of the wonderful views. It is very quiet and peaceful...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Deb N
Reviewed August 3, 2013

What I liked best about the accomodation was the location - beautiful view across the lagoon. Many activities like hiking, kayaking, we saw kangaroos and emus. The water in the lagoon was quite low when we were there so we were able to walk across to the ocean beach. Before booking I had read all the other reviews too and did not know what to expect, but our experience was entirely positive. The manager was very nice and friendly, the meals were good. I would recommend this place to people who are looking for a quiet wilderness getway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The location is ideal for people who like activities at the wilderness. While so many reviewers commented about poor management, we found it was good enough. The manager was quite helpful and since she lived on the same lodge, she was available any time. But as some traveller mentioned the place is a hit and miss, that could have been our lucky day- we are not sure. The view from the cabins is beautiful (we disliked the place the moment we arrived, but we liked it more and more as the time passed), many activities to do such as kayaking, bushwalking etc. We were amazed to find wild Emus walking right in front of our bbq spot! However there are few things worth taking on to account before visiting the place;

-It gets really windy there. A wind turbine on site and the broken tail of the turbine should have been our first clue!
- Our big 6-person tent was broken by extreme wind. It may be a good to use smaller tents. We were lucky enough to get the cabins in the lodge after our tent broke.
- The unpowered site provides great view across the lake but comes up with danger of spotting snakes. Especially the one on top of the rocky edge seemed susceptible (Well us and apparently other campers also spotted a snake on this same spot). But most of the other sites were good.
-powered camping site and the cabins are ideal to avoid any hassles with such things.

Overall, It was a great experience. I would recommend the place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends