Coorong Wilderness Lodge
Authenticity Health & Wellness Retreat(Port Elliot)(Great Value!)
$172
  • Breakfast included
$81
Victoria Hotel Strathalbyn(Strathalbyn)(Great Value!)
$103
$102
$95
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Rydges Pit Lane(Tailem Bend)
TripAdvisor
Motel River Bend(Tailem Bend)
Motel Goolwa(Goolwa)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Welcomed warmly by Margaret when I arrived at 7.30pm on 26/10/13, after riding around Kangaroo Island on the Annual Bike SA tour in the most inclement weather I've experienced in a long time. I relished the space this wonderful place offered. Not least it was a place to dry my tent, take a shower or two, sleep in a bed and get dressed standing up!

It embraced me with solitude, silence and space. Margaret and I shared a common interest in the power of stories and she generously offered her personal history and special connection with this land, her home country. I felt privileged and honoured to be there and to hear the story.

Coorong Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful place to stay; highly recommend...

T

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Belinda H
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Wilderness Lodge. The cabin was comfortable and warm and I especially liked being able to lay in bed and look at the Coorong through the large windows and glass doors. There was a deck outside and if it had been warmer I would have been outside, but unfortunately it was winter and rainy.

It was wonderful to see the flocks of different birds and to watch the clouds and rain move across the sky.

A basket of breakfast supplies and snacks was given to me when I booked in, with choice of foods. The dinner menu wasn't large but the food was so delicious. The first night I ate fish freshly caught from the Coorong and the second night I had delicious roast lamb and a large assortment of vegetables preceded by delicious pumpkin soup. Both nights I was also served dessert.

The Lodge staff are so very friendly and helpful and I felt right at home immediately.

The Coorong is a magnificent place and the lodge is run by such knowledgeable people, it will be a delight to return to take advantage of all that is offered by the lodge and the surroundings.

Room Tip: Each cabin faces the Coorong to take advantage of the wonderful views. It is very quiet and peaceful there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Deb N
Reviewed August 3, 2013

What I liked best about the accomodation was the location - beautiful view across the lagoon. Many activities like hiking, kayaking, we saw kangaroos and emus. The water in the lagoon was quite low when we were there so we were able to walk across to the ocean beach. Before booking I had read all the other reviews too and did not know what to expect, but our experience was entirely positive. The manager was very nice and friendly, the meals were good. I would recommend this place to people who are looking for a quiet wilderness getway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The location is ideal for people who like activities at the wilderness. While so many reviewers commented about poor management, we found it was good enough. The manager was quite helpful and since she lived on the same lodge, she was available any time. But as some traveller mentioned the place is a hit and miss, that could have been our lucky day- we are not sure. The view from the cabins is beautiful (we disliked the place the moment we arrived, but we liked it more and more as the time passed), many activities to do such as kayaking, bushwalking etc. We were amazed to find wild Emus walking right in front of our bbq spot! However there are few things worth taking on to account before visiting the place;

-It gets really windy there. A wind turbine on site and the broken tail of the turbine should have been our first clue!
- Our big 6-person tent was broken by extreme wind. It may be a good to use smaller tents. We were lucky enough to get the cabins in the lodge after our tent broke.
- The unpowered site provides great view across the lake but comes up with danger of spotting snakes. Especially the one on top of the rocky edge seemed susceptible (Well us and apparently other campers also spotted a snake on this same spot). But most of the other sites were good.
-powered camping site and the cabins are ideal to avoid any hassles with such things.

Overall, It was a great experience. I would recommend the place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pramod B
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The management could not have been more helpful & friendly. We love the cabin, views, food, people & experience. The bush tucker walk & Camp Coorong museum was a real treat. I feel like I made a friend with management & I hope they feel the same. We went for our 25th wedding anniversary & "Donna" you made it more memorable than we could of ever imagined. THANK YOU for your extra care & attention. Love it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple