“The epitome of serenity with fabulous views”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McLaren Vale
The Vineyard Retreat McLaren Vale
Ranked #2 of 17 McLaren Vale B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I can't say enough about this lodging experience. We stayed in The Strand, a beautiful, cozy cottage with stunning views off the veranda. The complimentary "mini bar" should be called a complimentary pantry--it was stocked with two bottles of wine, olives, fresh bread, spreads and other snacks for cocktail hour and fresh brown eggs, bacon, juice, etc. for breakfast. An extremely comfortable bed with crisp linens completed our experience. Every detail was accommodated for. Delightful. Would go back in a heartbeat (if the flight wasn't 16 hours, especially!) Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in the Manhattan villa. From the moment we arrived it was just perfect. Everything was high quality, every detail was thought about and taken care of. Even with an unexpected power outage and unusually heavy winds, we felt at home and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The view is amazing, almost 360 degrees, in the middle of the vineyards. There is wine and snacks, bread and eggs and the place has wonderful hosts.

1  Thank Michiel_van_D
Reviewed February 28, 2014

From the moment of enquiring about a booking I just knew The Vineyard Retreat was going to be a delightful base for our wine tasting tour in McLaren Vale. And when we finally rolled up to this lovely property a few kilometers out of town it did not disappoint -- wonderful crunchy gravel road, manicured lawns, and well-kept cottages, all overlooking rolling vineyards, distant tree lines, and summer sky. We stayed in the Ardmore and inside was exactly what was pictured and promised. Lovely wines (made even nicer by the Riedel glassware hanging in the kitchen), stocked refrigerator, and quality snacks. The bed was comfortable and the linens delightful. Everything worked. Everything was perfectly clean. I always have a few quibbles but nothing worth reporting in this review.

1  Thank jimatmutianyu
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I visited The Vineyard as part of our honeymoon. We stayed in the stunning Ardmore Suite for two nights. Waking up and watching the local wildlife as we ate our beautiful bacon and eggs, all provided by Anthea, was just heaven. I could of sat and looked at that view all day. Inside, did not disappoint either, beautiful decor, furnishings and just the attention to detail, was impeccable. I'm originally from the UK and this was my first visit to SA, after moving to Sydney 18 months ago. I fell in love with the place and I believe staying at the Vineyard had a big part to play in my overall experience. This part of our honeymoon was definitely one of the hi-lights of our trip. Drinking champagne and eating strawberries, as we watched the sunset in the hot tub, (which we had to ourselves, staying mid week) was the perfect end to the wonderful day we had had. It's a memory I shall treasure. I couldn't recommend this establishment enough. From the moment I contacted Anthea she was nothing short of wonderful. She gave me some wonderful recommendations and generally went out of her way to make this a great trip for us. Working in hospitality myself, she really did go the extra mile to make our stay memorable.
My husband, can be very hard to please and had a few minor complaints, firstly the wine that was left complimentary within the suite, was not to his palette. He felt there are many more better options and the choice didn't suite the decadence of the Vineyard. Secondly, he was a bit frustrated with the WiFi speed, it fell in and out of service and was quite slow. Finally he thought the bed was a bit too spacious, he had to roll over a few times before he found me! As I said though, he can be a fuss pot. I was more than happy with our stay, the setting, the food, the ambiance, was just perfect. My only piece of feedback was on one of our initial recommendations for a wine tour. As Anthea had been positively fantastic, i followed her recommendations (that were within our tastes,) to the letter. Our lunch on arrival at the Currant Shed was just delightful, the service, the food and the view from our table was just out of this world. Top Marks! I was also recommended to seek out 'Chook' for a wine tour, I contacted him three times but never heard anything back from him. I went back to Anthea and she told me to try Wine Divas. I am so glad Chook didn't get back to me, because we had the best day of stay out with Gregg in our personal Mercedes. We laughed, we drank and we even jammed in the Woodstock Estate! (My husband and I are both musicians.) I cannot recommend Wine Divas enough. (Please check out my husbands review for more details.) As we were chatting to one of the members of staff at Leconfield Winery, (after our fabulous lunch, arranged by Gregg!) Another man joined us at the bar and jumped into our conversation. He was chatting about his business and we discovered he was in fact, Chook. He informed us he had a vomit bucket on his bus, which he believed would be well used, as he had a wild bunch of visitors today. (One of which had already fell into me in the ladies toilet.) I'm certainly not a snob, far from it, but he just seemed so uncooth. When Gregg arrived I was so pleased to retreat to our private car and escape! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt the quality of The Vineyard and the high standards or Anthea were certainly not reflected in Chooks' approach. I certainly wouldn't affiliate yourselves with his business, you're just far too classy and he was certainly NOT 5 Star, as you undoubtedly are.
In summary we would definitely return to the Vineyard, I hope to have family visiting next summer from the UK, my mother and aunt would just adore this place! I'm definitely keeping you in mind for our next visit to McLaren Vale. 5 * service and venue. Give yourselves a pat on the back! Truly Excellent!

2  Thank EBeardface
AntheaC853, Owner at The Vineyard Retreat McLaren Vale, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear EBeardface,

We’re so glad that you fell in love with “The Vineyard Retreat” and the experience was a highlight in making your honeymoon even more memorable. We try hard with our recommendations (in fact we try all of them ourselves before making a recommendation and don’t make them lightly) so we’re excited to hear your feedback on them. It is unfortunate to hear that the mini-bar wines did not match your husband’s palette. Within the complimentary guest mini-bars we rotate our wine selections based on changing seasons and vintages. Currently, we offer the 2010 Yangarra Estate Shiraz which was given 94 points by James Halliday in the Weekend Australian and the 2013 Fox Creek Vermentino which, in addition to earning 93 points from Tony Keys and medaling in quite a few Australian shows, was recommended to us by a prominent Napa Valley winemaker.

Being out in the country, with those the fabulous views and wildlife, is not without its challenges – we are completely self sufficient with the exception of two incoming services; electricity and telephone/internet. We are currently working with Telstra to upgrade the incoming telephone line which they have promised to do…in Telstra time of course! But, rest assured – we’ll stay on top of them.

We’re so glad you enjoyed your day with Gregg on the wine tour and are in conversations with Chook about your failed booking experience. Both companies have had terrific guest feedback. Having used Chook ourselves on several occasions we were very surprised to hear of your difficulties in booking and have never had anything but high praise from other guests we have referred to him. Guests often comment very favourably, to us and on Trip Advisor, on his more boutique and authentic cellar door choices and his timely and professional service. It’s always great to have a few choices for services to our guests and we’ll certainly take your feedback into consideration and pass on your comments to the service providers we recommend.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

One of the best weekend getaway spots I have ever stayed. The owners put so much thought into small details to make you feel at home. They provided all the food needed to prepare a lovely cooked breakfast. the property is beautiful and impeccably maintained. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank NStill
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Highland guesthouse for three nights for our first wedding anniversary and were not disappointed!! This is the top guesthouse of the four but worth every penny. Anthea has exceptional taste in interior design (and food!) and there was no part of the trip I could fault. I am extremely fussy when booking accommodation and only stay 5 star+ and this retreat ticked all the boxes for a self contained stay. I did have some small feedback for Anthea but she has taken it all on board and openly welcomes guest feedback as the property is relatively new and they are still working out some VERY minor kinks. She was also very kind to make a reservation for lunch on our anniversary and the food at every restaurant she recommended was to die for. I must also comment on the extremely well stocked complimentary mini bar which kept us going whenever we were peckish. We stayed during the heatwave so unfortunately did not get use the spa but we are already planning our next trip back and are looking forward to experiencing the Ardmore with the wood fire burning. Don't hesitate in booking as speaking with Anthea she is booking up so quickly this year already. I can't recommend The Vineyard Retreat more highly just do yourself a favour and go and enjoy!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gracelovesluxury
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great booking experience, stunning approach, cleanliness, provisioning, design and detail.
One of the most comfortable beds I've slept in, and admittedly a weaker than desirable shower, but it proved a tiny retraction from an otherwise fabulous experience. Riedel glassware proves they are serious about the place being the ultimate wine retreat & rightly so - There's no finer viewpoint over McLaren Vale.
Perhaps the most scenic hot tub in the world adds the finishing touch

Room Tip: Manhattan has the most fabulous view - Another has brand new bathrooms & a more modern fitout