“Great views and wine”

Samuel's Gorge
Ranked #10 of 49 things to do in McLaren Vale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Samuel's Gorge is a boutique winery specialising in small batch red wines including Shiraz, Grenache, Tempranillo, Mourvedre and Graciano. Housed in a mid 1850's built farm shed, our award winning cellar door offers sweeping views of the Onkaparinga River National Park.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

What a wonderful place for a cellar door. Apparently their wines are quite popular with their regulars as we were only able to taste 2 of their red wines - others sold out already. The staff was pleasant and informative.

All reviews
"wine maker"
in 7 reviews
"wander around"
in 2 reviews
"recommended by a friend"
"red wine"
"wine making"
in 4 reviews
"maclaren vale"

Reviewed December 1, 2014

On a return visit to Samuel's Gorge. A great place for a wine tasting with the most amazing views. The staff were lovely and inviting. The wines are consistently good and I think the new Caprisce rangs was absolute value for money. Pity they had sold out of my favourite wine, Tempranillo - Next year maybe

Reviewed October 25, 2014

I'd been to the winery next door (Chapel Hill) many times, and hadn't even noticed the driveway down to this gorgeous property. Plenty of other people had obviously not been so un-observant as the place was packed. What a beautiful old building, and great views over the gorge. The Beatles White Album was playing on an old record player in the corner, and various people serving (including the wine maker) were very welcoming. Only a few wines to taste, but all were beautiful. Will be coming back with friends next time we're in the Vale!

1  Thank David H
Reviewed October 21, 2014

We had a short and sharp visit here, as the persona of the girl in cellar door made us feel very unwelcome. We left within 4 minutes as if we were imposing. I hope the management know how ordinary she is treating the visitors. We did try one wine but the moment was ruined.

5  Thank Adrian J
See more reviews
Reviewed October 4, 2014

We've spent eight days both in Barossa and McLaren Vale. And we did lots of tastings. In this review you will read my opinion about the wines. But since wine is very much about personal taste, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will share my opinion. You might hate the wine I liked and vice versa. So much about that, here we go:

Samuel's Gorge has a stunning location. The front porch overlooks a beautiful landscape. You can sit yourselfes on one of the tables or hang out on the couch outside. I could really spend the whole day here drinking wine and enjoying the views.

But not only the views are amazing .... but so is the wine! It was nice to see a Tempranillo being made here. The Shiraz was a very very good one - exactly the style we liked. But we ended up buying the Mourvedre. We had some at other vineyards, but this one they make here is really outstanding!

It's a wonderful vineyard, be sure to check it out. Great views, lovely wine and friendly staff!

Wanna know more about me and my trips? Check my profile.