“A very good lunch option”

Carmel's Cafe Bar and Grill
Ranked #7 of 56 Restaurants in McLaren Vale
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Carmel's is a unique restaurant located in the heart of the picturesque McLaren Vale. The Restaurant presents an ever-changing menu focusing on flavors to compliment the extensive wine selection from local wineries. The food is modern Australian twist on American style food as well as a wide range of other dishes.
Christchurch
“A very good lunch option”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Dined here with family 4 adults 3 kids for lunch on a weeend and everyone had a good experience. Slushies and 'kids menu' for the youngsters kept them happy while the adults were able to enjoy a relaxed meal. I had delicious ribs whilst the other adults had mainly fish dishes. As with most restaurants these days dining at lunch time doesn't necessarily mean you pay less than for an evening meal. The table settings were very casual so it wasn't suitable for a special occassion but then again it was lunch. Not sure if this changes for evening dinner.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank abfabnz

Airlie Beach, Australia
“Fine for some ....”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We spent three nights in McLaren Vale and ate at restaurants every night. I offer that as my qualifications to say that there are better places, for the same price or lower, than Carmel's Cafe Bar & Grill. The area we were forced to sit in was very 'casual' - tables like picnic benches, no tablecloth, paper napkins, warm wine glasses, no air-conditioning, no insect screens. (At one stage whilst having a mouthful of wine, I felt something crawling up my nose. It was a black shiraz-soaked fly escaping from my glass in a drunken stagger).

Service was slow, but attentive. Three different waitress's asked " you alright there mate ? ". One took a drink order, another came back with them, another took the food order, another delivered it. Food flavours and presentation were average, but unfortunately not 'value for money'.

If you visit and feel doubtful about Carmels Bar & Grill, or unable to get a picnic table, consider yourself lucky - 'The Barn' is just next door.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Uncleron-60
Adelaide, Australia
“Lovely dining experience”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first visit to Carmel's restaurant. I went with a group of friends for lunch and we were all very impressed by the dining experience. The menu was extensive and the lunch specials very good value. All ingredients were very fresh and flavoursome and well cooked. Salads were exquisite with good dressings.
The table service was attentive and politely helpful. We really enjoyed the ambience which was light and airy with no clattering noise or distasteful music. This was a most relaxing and enjoyable lunch. Will definitely return.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Williamson150
Adelaide, Australia
“will dine here over and over and over again!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

first time we went to dine at McLaren vale were not sure where to go for a nice hearty meal. we came across this Carmel's café bar and grill, twas just our normal sunday luncheon with the kids, so we decided to give carmel's a try...and we were never disappointed!, the staffs are very accommodating, there is a very nice ambience warmth feeling, and the food are awesome!!!...
so the next time we went we brought our friends with us..and since then friends also dine there...carmel is very hands-on restaurateur

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ghinger
Merseyside
“Perfect!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Tonight we ate our “last supper” with Nan before her return to the UK at Carmel’s Cafe Bar and Grill … and WOW what a meal!

Again, before we set off to this restaurant we checked the menu online to see what gluten-free (if any) meals they offered. I was stunned by the choice and my mouth was watering before I even left the house.

Upon arrival I noticed that the layout of the restaurant had a really relaxed vibe, it was warm, cosy and welcoming. We were greeted by Carmel herself who worked the floor with her staff and were all extremely attentive to our needs throughout our meal.

At the table, the staff brought complimentary bottles of cold water which was just what we needed after a super hot day. The family then ordered some platters to start, they weren’t gluten-free but I had a few cheeky pieces of chorizo and some olives and even that was amazing.

For my main I ordered the Argentinean Grill for (Lamb cutlet, chorizo sausage, scotch fillet, prawn skewer served with Carmel’s own tomato,
onion chilli relish. Comes with gourmet side salad and rustic cut chips) $29.90, I thought it was more expensive that I am used to being such a frugal girl but for a spiced up version of a mixed grill (something I never get in the UK) I was willing to give it a shot. I was a little surprised I wasn’t asked how I would like my meat cooked (usually a touchy subject who has their meat very rare), however, when my meal came it didn’t disappoint. The meat was charred beautifully, medium-well done, the chips were chunky, the salad with pumpkin and feta was simply divine. The mixture of flavour on that plate made me melt … literally!

I really recommend this venue, another good reason to go being that they have Koppaberg
Overall, great venue, great staff, great atmosphere and great mood … simply a great good bye meal to Nan.

Thanks Carmel!