“Fantastic, but then disappointing...”

Carmel's Cafe Bar and Grill
Ranked #7 of 57 Restaurants in McLaren Vale
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Carmel's is a unique restaurant located in the heart of the picturesque McLaren Vale. The Restaurant presents an ever-changing menu focusing on flavors to compliment the extensive wine selection from local wineries. The food is modern Australian twist on American style food as well as a wide range of other dishes.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner a few weeks ago. Food was superb, surprisingly large servings, great service and we were pleased to find that the tables weren't squeezed in to maximise their takings. All really good..

Then tonight, I phoned to ask if I could book in for lunch, using a voucher that I had purchased online and was told that, although I could book in, they were far to busy to take my booking and that I would 'have to call back later'. Hmmm - not terribly impressed by the tone of voice of the lady who answered the phone, who informed me that she was the owner - made me feel as if I was just being a nuisance. Suddenly not so wonderful - her customer service skills could use some fine tuning.

1  Thank AstralTraveller1
There are newer reviews for Carmel's Cafe Bar and Grill

Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

A busy Friday night. Pleasant surrounds. Comprehensive menu reasonably priced. Family friendly. Wouldn't rush back but wouldn't be bothered if I ended up there again. Overall a reasonable meal.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We dined here one night in late May.
It was a freezing night so the big patio heaters inside gave a welcome warmth to the place, which seems to be semi-outside but has clear cafe blinds around the veranda.
The staff were efficient and attentive and there was quite a good crowd for a wintry Sunday night.
Food-wise, I had the pork belly which I enjoyed but it had no crackling (or if it did, it was soft). My husband had the soup, which he enjoyed. We had desserts - sticky date pudding, which sounded very special on the menu, but was just average.
We also had a glass of wine each.
It seemed like a popular place with the locals. It has an extensive menu and all in all we enjoyed it. It was a shame the heater near our table was turned off at the request of another table. It quickly became quite cold and we left. The food was homely and filling.
I think as a tourist, there are other places I would prefer to try next time, now that we have our bearings a little better.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've been here 3 times since it opened every time the food has been done to perfection, I took my mum there for her birthday and everyone who went loved their meals. I've also been there a few times on steak night. The only thing I can complain about is the first time I went it took a while for our food to come out, but each time since then it has been fine.

1  Thank Imsopov
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Friends invited us to join them for dinner at Carmel's during the week. They had heard good reports from others and wanted to see for themselves. The decor is very attractive and welcoming, we were invited to sit where we wanted, and as it was a cold night, they placed us in a lovely warm area. We were served by two very friendly and caring young ladies. The food was fantastic, tasty and plentiful and very good value. All in all a wonderful evening, great food, great service...WILL DEFINITELY GO AGAIN.

1  Thank Corina K