“An unforgettable experience”

Maxwell
Ranked #7 of 59 Restaurants in McLaren Vale
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Maxwell Restaurant is an idyllic location for an unforgettable food and wine experience. The stunning limestone building is complemented by large picture windows and breathtaking views overlooking the rolling hills of McLaren Vale. Showcasing the best of the region and his own kitchen gardens, Head Chef Fabian Lehmann offers a versatile menu including à la carte options, or for the full Maxwell experience, put yourself in his hands with one of the amazing tasting menus and let the afternoon float away. Taste wines before you dine to ensure the perfect selection, or simply let it all happen with wines expertly matched from the estate vineyards.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

As a small business owner I choose this restaurant for my staff get togethers. The cuisine is second to none and the service and atmosphere are exactly what you would expect from a fine dining restaurant. I have been many times now and I find that the menu often changes but the standard is always excellent. I would highly recommend their exquisite food and quality service to all. This restaurant is truly the experience they declare to be and my staff and I will always be happy to return.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I went here with other family members... Let me say this was the best meal we have ever eaten. The food was delicious, the service was more than excellent, the views are amazing and the whole dining experience was a pleasure. We will definitely be going back next time and everytime we are in Adelaide:) I have plenty of other scrumptious dishes they had I need to try. I say do yourselves a favor and go try it for yourself you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had a lunch and a wine tasting at the Maxwell Winery a few days ago and it was an amazing culinary experience! I had a Marron with king prawns and my wife a trio of duck, both dishes were superb, compliments to young chef Ben! Great service with a smile from Lisa, our waitress!Also we had a rabbit terine with a duck pate for starter which were very good as well. I would give Maxwell 9 out of 10 with no resrvations, thanks Guys for unforgettable experience and look forward to having lunch at your restaurant again! Mark and Angela from Sydney.

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The food was really nice although not the cheapest. The setting is beautiful and would suit many of occasions both big and small. A great stop to take our visitors. The staff are all very friendly and genuine. We were very happy with our afternoon at Maxwells.

1  Thank Bear80
Reviewed January 3, 2013

How long is it reasonable to wait for a cup of coffee in a restaurant? 10 minutes? Maybe 15 minutes if it´s busy? How about TWO HOURS?

We had lunch with friends at Maxwell´s. I will say more about the food below, but let me confirm that it actually did take two hours for a coffee which was ordered upon arrival to actually come. I drink a lot of coffee at work and had been visiting a couple of wineries before lunch, so hadn´t had my usual 3-4 cups. No worries, I thought, I´ll just order one before lunch when we get to the restaurant. Here is the exchange, as well as I can remember it:

Waitress: Can I take your drink order?
Me: Hi, I´d like a beer and a coffee.
Waitress: I will take your beer order but I´ll come back for your coffee order.
Me: Um, ok...

A few minutes later, I tried again:

Me: I actually do want to order a coffee. A flat white, please.
Waitress: Ok, but we´re busy so coffee isn´t a priority for the kitchen right now.
Me: Well, I´d like one anyway.

About 20-30 minutes later, still no coffee, and no apparent acknowledgement that coffee had been ordered. The people at the next table were getting both food and coffees brought out to them, so obviously someone, somewhere, was able to make coffee during this period. I tried again...

Me: I was serious when I ordered a coffee. I really do want one.
Waitress: Haha! *walks off chuckling as though I´ve just said something hilarious*

At this stage I was at a loss. It had been nearly an hour since I´d ordered a coffee. The same waitress kept coming back, and appeared to be avoiding me as much as possible. Prompted by my companions (who were as amazed by this display as me) I made several other references to the ordered coffee and its non-appearance, all of which were met with laughter or were simply ignored.

Eventually, I intercepted a different waitress. I explained that I´d ordered a coffee when we´d arrived and that it still hadn´t come out. She appeared to at least acknowledge that this was a real order and that I really wanted it to be complied with, and scurried away.

Perhaps 15 minutes later, glory of glories, a third woman appeared bearing a coffee. She said, as she put it down, ¨obviously there will be no charge for the coffee¨.

So, let´s review:

1. Maxwell´s holds itself out as selling food and beverages from its menu

2. Coffee is one of the things that is supposedly available in exchange for money

3. Upon asking for coffee, I was first told that my particular order was not a priority, then laughed at, then ignored by a member of the wait staff

4. While my coffee wasn´t a priority, the restaurant served several coffees to people right next to me

5. There was no possibility that this was a mistake as I repeatedly attempted to get my order filled across the two hours I waited for it

6. After waiting two hours for my coffee, I was ´compensated´ with the coffee itself being free

I may be old fashioned (actually, I´m not at all), but in my view, it isn´t the place of a restaurant or wait staff to decide what is and isn´t a reasonable order. If it´s on the menu, and someone orders it, then that´s what they want and that´s what they get. If I want ten coffees before my entrée, so be it. But not so at Maxwell´s, apparently.

On the plus side, based on my experience this may be a good place to go if you want a real life dinner theater experience themed around Fawlty Towers. To get the show started, just order something at the ¨wrong¨ time. I imagine ordering dessert at the start of the meal would be particularly spectacular.

The food was, for the most part, average. One of my companions is vegetarian, and was given a dish which quite literally had crushed up Doritos as an ingredient. The rest of the mains were inoffensive, but nothing to write home about.

Oh, and the coffee was foamy and below average at best.

Disclaimer: Hopefully it goes without saying that this was my own individual experience, and that I can´t comment more generally on whether this is typical at this restaurant or not.

1  Thank Wiggles09