“Amazing, beautiful art”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Amazing, beautiful art”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This attraction is in the township of Hawker, and is indoors in air conditioning making it an ideal attraction during hot, cold or wet weather when you don't want to be outside.

Allow at least an hour to fully appreciate this amazing art and the story behind it, as I think you would miss out if you didn't read the information around the walls before looking at the Panorama itself.

We were lucky to have the Panorama to ourselves for most of the time we were there, so we had uninterrupted views as we turned around to see the different views. The signage helped us orientate ourselves within the panorama with local landmarks indicated on brass plaques on the posts.

Photography is not allowed inside, and to be honest I don't think that photos could do it justice anyway.

The panorama is a real life 360 degree view from St Mary's Peak at Wilpena Pound. St Mary's Peak is a challenging climb that many of us may not be fit enough to do - and it seemed to me as if I was there, looking at the view through a really good pair of glasses. The foreground was crisp and sharp, yet the distance and perspective showed the haze that is typical of the Flinders Ranges (as you see when you stop to take advantage of any of the lookouts as you drive around).

There is a lovely wooden viewing platform at the same height as the panorama, with comfortable stairs and rails to help you up if you have slightly reduced mobility. Chairs at the top allow you to sit and appreciate the effect of the panorama, while hearing the natural sound recording of the local area at the Pound. I would think that you could still gain an appreciation of the Panorama without climbing the stairs, but you would have a less intimate experience that way. However, if you aren't able to climb the stairs then this is THE ONLY way to see the view from the St Mary's Peak lookout.

In a separate room (the Winston Hewson Wing), you can see three other large paintings, of which my favourite was "Ron's Creek" - a 50ft painting set behind a rustic fence with the creek setting displayed on the ground leading to the picture. As I sat and looked at the painting I could see more and more of the detail, and locals we spoke with afterwards said that each time they go there they see different parts of the creek that they hadn't noticed before.

The admission cost was only about $8, which was less than you would expect to pay for something of this calibre.

Souvenirs are available and there is an extensive variety of original art and prints for purchase on site.

I would strongly recommend a visit.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Wandering_Aussie

Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Visit St Marys Peak effortlessly”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

An amazing, breathtaking panorama of the Flinders Ranges.
An awe inspiring experienxce which can be enjoyed by everybody.

Visited October 2012
Mackay, Queensland, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wilpena”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

it was a bit commercialised for me. I found it interesting,but as I said too commercial.regards margaret.

Visited May 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This is a must see”
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

If this is the only thing you see while in Hawker then make sure you stop here. It is breathtaking.

1 Thank Mark E
Maitland, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Spectacular.”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was fantastic to see as we had just visited Wilpena Pound for 4 days and could pick out all the scenes on the panorama.
The painting out the back was amazing Ron's Creek was 15 metres x 5 metres high. Viewing it from each end provides you with completely different perspective. Would highly recommend.

Visited June 2012