“Avoid going on public holidays and pony ride!”
Review of Hahndorf Farm Barn

Hahndorf Farm Barn
Ranked #7 of 36 things to do in Hahndorf
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

First the positives:
1) The farm sits on a beautiful piece of land and you can get a good view of the surrounding area standing outside.
2) There is a large variety of farm animals which makes it an educational visit for the young ones.
3) This farm has heart as they shelter abandoned farm animals.
4) The tractor ride and guided tour by the driver was an interesting experience for city dwellers like ourselves, albeit slightly pricey for such a short ride.

Now comes the negatives:
1) we were there on Labour day and by 11 am, the crowd swelled and the barn was not big enough to accommodate that many people comfortably.
2) the presenters for the shows were not that great. The younger kids were clearly bored.

My biggest criticism is reserved for the pony ride, which we felt was a complete rip off in terms of value for money. In addition, the girl in-charge of guiding the pony clearly does not know how to handle young toddlers. My 2 year old almost fell off the pony because the guide did not bother to hold or make sure that the child is secured before leading the pony off. I would advise parents with young toddlers to consider before allowing their child on the ride and also advise the barn owners to reconsider the raising the minimum age to 3 instead of 2.

Overall, I think that our experience would have been a more positive one if we hadn't gone on the pony ride and visited during a public holiday.

2  Thank Sxabby
KCarter74, Owner at Hahndorf Farm Barn, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Hi there Sxabby, thank you for listing some positives in your review as well as some concerns. We do take on orphaned animals and have a large range of all sorts of animals so kids can interact and learn about such as variety of them.

Yes, as a multi-award winning tourism business we are always going to be busy on a public holiday, as all popular venues are, especially when it is a lovely weather day as it was on Labour Day. We had three experienced pony handlers doing pony rides that day. Pony rides are only $5 for a 5 minute ride around the paddock which only just covers the cost of keeping the ponies and staffing the rides, insurance etc etc. Yes, toddlers on ponies can look a bit wobbly as the initial inertia of take off when the pony moves forward means toddlers lurch backwards a bit but I can assure you our handlers are experienced and are always in safe hands. The minimum age of 2 years allows parents to decide for themselves if they would like their child to ride so doesn't disadvantage those younger ones who would like to ride - which it would if we were to raise the age to 3 years.

Our new tractor rides on our purpose-built tractor trailer have proved very popular as well and are only $2.50 per person as a family of 4 with 2 pony rides in a package price - for a 15 minute ride around the paddock to areas not usually accessed by visitors on foot. It is yes educational and informative, and we've had some great feedback about it being great value for money - we are sorry to hear you didn't feel the same.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to have you visit again when you're next in SA.
Cheers, Kate.

in 6 reviews
"picnic lunch"
"cow milking"
in 3 reviews
"enjoyed feeding the animals"
"all ages"
"love coming here"
"rainy day"
"outdoor area"

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My daughter had her 7th birthday party here and everyone had a great time.

The farm is well looked after and easily accessible for young children, although a bit tough to push a pram around so you may have to have babe in arms or carry/sling.

The animal show is great fun and the animal nursery is a great way for kids to get hands on with animals they might otherwise never have the opportunity to pet.

The 'pony' ride was $5 and was literally less than a minute being led around the paddock which was a bit of a rip off IMO.

Staff were lovely and I really couldn't fault this farm. Great local family and local business.

2  Thank Kellie1974
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I loved that this was such a relaxed environment for all the family! My 21 month old nephew loved being able to get up close and personal with the animals!
Being a city kid, this is a rare opportunity & we will be back!
the highlight for us was feeding the camels and when the cheeky deer stole the bag of carrots from by brother in law! too funny!
My nephew had a great time, he got to pat a kangaroo, chased the peacocks, bottle fed the lambs with one of the workers - whom were all very friendly.
My brother inlaw even had a python around his neck, not for me! but great for those whom wanted too!

I love the Adelaide Hills and will be back!!!!

1  Thank Krissie W
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The Farm Barn was smaller than I expected but what it lacked in size it made up in both the interaction allowed - you can enter all the pens and handle all of the animals under supervison and the staff were excellent. The ex-farmer from WA who showed us round (I don't remember his name) was friendly, informative, involving and went out of his way to give us the best experience possible. We also met one of the owners I think who stopped and chatted and told us about the camels. Everyone had time for you. Really really great customer service. Thanks for letting us bottle feed the animals at the end of the day. Apparently very busy over Easter, we went at 3pm on a weekday which meant there were only a few of us there and really felt like personal service. Hands on, lambs, calves rabbits goats, chicks, chickens, ducks, deer, Roos, and camels. The kids loved it and we will go back.

1  Thank TeenageMutant
KCarter74, Owner at Hahndorf Farm Barn, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Hi Emily, thanks so much for your lovely review!! We are so glad you had a great time, even though you are 'big kids' without kids of your own! We do try and find a balance between the fun factor and the educational/informational value of our shows and interactions with animals so everyone can have a great time. Yes our staff are just wonderful aren't they! We are very lucky to have such friendly, caring and knowledgeable people in our team, Marika who often milks the cow is fantastic, full of energy and the man you refer to is Michael our full time farm manager.

We are also ever so thankful for your comments regarding our healthy and happy animals as we value animal welfare to the highest degree and have the highest commitment to keeping them healthy and happy at all times!

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We are aged 24 & 25 with no children and my boyfriend did worry that this would be a little too 'childish' for us.From the moment we stepped in the door the service was fantastic and although its main aim is to get the children involved - its great for us adults too.
We were told when we entered that we were just in time for the bottle feeding of the baby animals and the milking of the cow. We were lucky enough to bottle feed lambs and kids (the goat kind) and have an attempt at milking the cow (which I failed dismally at). We also got to see what milk is like when it comes straight out of a cow.
All staff that were on were fantastic, very helpful. The younger girl who was assisting with the milking of the cow was fantastic, got the children very involved in the demonstration. The man who we assumed was an owner or manager was also very friendly and understanding of the 'big kids' in the room, making sure to make it interesting for us too.
After feeding the younger farm animals and milking the cow we were free to walk around outside with a $2 bag of pellets and feed ostriches, donkeys, pony's, emus, kangaroos, deer - all of which were very tolerant of people and friendly.
Being a strict vegetarian my one thing when I go to places like this is wanting to know the animals are treated right and at Hahndorf Farm Barn they couldn't look happier or healthier.
Big thanks for an enjoyable and fun day, I cant wait to come back one day with kids of my own!

1  Thank Emily491