“Gulaschsuppe?”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

On recommendations read in TA we called into Cafe Assiete for lunch. The blackboard menu enticed us with "Hungarian goulash soup" which sounded good on a cool day in November. With a small open fire going the scene was set for a great hearty lunch in a cosy atmosphere.
The first disappointment was the drinks fridge being half empty and out of coke zero, the second disappointment was that all local beers were mixed up in one line so when we grabbed two bottles we had two different flavors as the labels were almost identical.
But the third and major disappointment was reserved for the incorrectly described "goulash soup".
This tasteless concoction of carrots, meat and onion with a hint of tomato barely deserved the title of stew rather than soup. The color was a lacklustre light red rather than the dark deep brown that you would expect from a genuine Hungarian goulash soup. No hint or trace of paprika, in summary, simply awful and totally misleading in being called soup. Do not order this soup as it will surely disappoint.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Assiette

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Hey! just read your review MissTravel87, and it was me who served you that day.
Huge apology for that misunderstanding; I certainly didn't mean for your experience to end like it did! After you asked if your meal was coming, I checked the docket and then recalculated the price of the bill to check if it was ordered through the till or not, and after calculating that it wasn't ordered, I addressed to you that it unfortunately hadn't actually been ordered and before I had a chance to ask you whether you'd like me to re-place the order for you (in which the chef would have happily cooked you up a meal asap) you had walked back outside and I briefly took the next persons order. I came outside to speak to and apologise again, however you had left the cafe; which left me very quilty and I felt very awful about what had happened. I went inside and spoke to my co-worker, and we were discussing what had happened and what we could do about the situation if you returned, however you didn't.
A MASSIVE massive apology about what happened, I certainly didn't mean to react the way it may have seemed and would love for you to visit again if your back in Australia!! Let me know if you do and we will be sure as ever to give you the tastiest calamari that you had planned to have that day :) hope you had a safe flight back to the UK!! :)

1  Thank Georgie S
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? My last day in adelaide before returning to the UK all I wanted was a nice lunch before 21 hours of rubbish plane food. This used to be one of my favourite places in Hahndorf.! Will NEVER return today's rubbish.

Dumb blonde behind the counter with fake retro glasses (they don't create the illusion that you are capable of doing your job) "took my order" then after 30 minutes of waiting the rest of my group got their meals. Where's mine? Waited another 5 went to the counter to see how long my meal would be... "oh it wasn't on the docket" did you pay for it? I don't know you work here you charged me did you charge me correctly? You took my order! Shouldn't you know?

The most pathetic apology was given with absolutely no sincerity what so ever "you didn't pay for it so I can't refund you, would you like a drink in can give you one no charge" I DON'T WANT A DRINK I WANTED MY BLOODY LUNCH you idiot.

No offer to rush a meal to me no offer of compensation.NOTHING!

lucky there was bakery down the road!
I had the pleasure of eating a pastry while everyone enjoyed full and delicious looking meals.
Funny how one horrible experience can put you off a place for good.

1  Thank MissTravel87
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had breakfast here with our toddler. The coffee was good, breakfast was ok but we found it over-priced. Our main gripe is with the defective high chair provided by the café for our toddler. We sat him in it to eat his toast and the tray snapped off, pitching him face first to the ground. He landed on the plastic tray, which cushioned his fall slightly but he had a big swollen & bruised lump on the side of his face. My fiancé took the chair & went to tell the staff that it was clearly defective. The restaurant manager came out to check that our son was ok but offered no apology. They brought out a cookie for him, which was a nice thought but we felt it was an inadequate gesture. When my fiancé went back in to pay, he saw the high chair had been put back in the same spot, ready for the next unsuspecting family!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have been here a few times now as I am a regular visitor to Hahndorf. I have stopped for coffee, as well as the odd lunch and never been disappointed. The specials from the chalkboard out front are always exceptional value but whatever you choose will be always be tasty and well presented.
The team are always friendly and you will always get service with a smile.
It is easy to walk past this place and get lost in beautiful Hahndorf but you will not get a better package anywhere else in Hahndorf.
Oh yes and just as the sign says they have the best coffee too.

1  Thank ziggieAdelaide