Motel Goolwa(Goolwa)(Great Value!)
$94
$75
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsboat housecaptain's retreatattention to detaillittle extrasthe kitchenbeautiful place to stayperfect retreatport elliotriver retreatrelaxing breakmodern convenienceslovely sceneryground levelslice of heavenamazing placeboat tripmurray mouth
Reviewed December 1, 2009

The Boathouse was an amazing find. It provided everything we needed along with a few little extras.
The simple yet elegant style of the Boathouse makes it quite unique from anywhere else we have stayed. The setting was lovely, we felt quite secluded on the deck with views across the Murray River.
The boats, the birdlife and the sunsets we experienced were certainly a treat, a great place to relax and getaway from it all!
The township of Goolwa, the beaches, wineries and cafes were in close proximity from the Boathouse, this made finding and purchasing local produce very easy.

Thanks for a wonderful stay – we will be back!
S & G - The travellers

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

What a great way to leave the rat-race and enjoy your own piece of the river; eat, drink, read and watch the boats sail by. This one room, rustic 'boatshed' was a fun escape for my husband and I to wind down for a couple of nights, switch off in this fully stocked nautical haven. Great local products, both food and wine to enjoy in the most relaxed ambience. Can't wait to return when we need to charge the batteries. Felt so spoilt. Not far from some great restaurants and sights, especially the whales.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Not what I expected, would not go back, it just didnt present well, not at all like it shows online. I would recommend people to visit Victor instead.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank dozenbottles
Reviewed March 26, 2009

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay and are shocked to read the last review . We encountered none of the problems listed in that review. True, at the moment, the water is not right up to the deck but these are hard times for the River Murray and nobody wishes it was not so more than the people of Goolwa ! The property is so well- equipped and has very interesting nautical decor and contents . The breakfast provisions were excellent and among all the goodies there was even a bottle of good local wine. The Boathouse was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The local birdlife was fascinating and we would recommend a trip to Hindmarsh Island. Well done Wendy & Phil ! We would stay again if we are ever in the area. Unique accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terryhazel
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We went to this B&B and were very disapointed, My wife arranged this as a surprise for me and booked because of what she saw on their website, it looks great and even promises "Absolute Water Frontage" that was the main thing we wanted, she was told it has a private deck and private jetty, but when we arrived I was in shock, I did not want to upset her so I kept quiet and made out I liked it. I could tell though that even she was unhappy, the images online and the Postcard the owners sent out looked fantastic but is not what you get, we saw a dried out wooden boatshed with two toildet doors on the side, which are meant for the "Boaties" she wasn't told that, and in the evening we could hear men urinating into the toilet bowls because the noise travelled through the walls adjoining our bathroom. The deck was surrounded with no water but mounds of dirt which is being dumped there due to dredging, our living room window faces the "Private: Jetty and people were walking along it peering into our window, so we had to keep the curtains drawn, not very private at all. I am aware that the Murray River is experiencing low water levels but I never expected this, and the owners should have told my wife that there is no water and shown her what it really looks like, it, to me was very misleading and I even feel deceived, $500 for two nights of misleading accomodation is not fair, I emailed the owners and they said I should have told them there and then but then I would have upset my wife even more and what would we have done? Leave? and take more time off work to find somewhere else for another time? it just wasnt practical, so we spent most of our stay in Port Elliot down the road at the beach and stayed in a beautiful Hotel during the day and just slept in the "Boathouse" I feel that we should have been reimbursed, the owners offered me one free nights stay, why would I want that? its horrible. I would not go there again and advise people to be careful because what you see online is not what it looks like.

5  Thank pandkwest
WWatson, Owner/Manager at Birks Harbour - Boathouse & Birks River Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2008

We are very surprised to hear that you were not entirely happy with your stay. We take pride in what we do at the Boathouse and go out of our way to make sure our clients are happy. Our consistently high occupancy, high rate of return happy visitors, and word of mouth business are testament to our excellent location and the friendly service of which we are proud.
In ten years of operating B&B’s we were really shocked I can assure you as your comments in our guest book were complimentary and even on departure you did not mention you were not entirely happy.
Once again, we are very surprised to hear about your stay and hope you’ll consider staying with us again on your next trip to Goolwa...