“Less Than Average”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berri
Melbourne, Australia
“Less Than Average”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the Berri Resort Hotel 12 years ago. It was great. So, when we decided to visit the region we chose it. Arrived for a 6 night stay. Discovered the toilet was running (cleaning seal still over it!). Reception told us to wait for it to refill after flushing. Told them we hadn’t used it and it was like it when we entered the room. They said a repairman would come and fix it. 30 minutes later reception rang telling us that we were being moved room 145.

Great? No! The palm trees rub the spouting (outside room 143) in the wind setting up a din like a rusty gate being used (all night!) Spoke to reception and was told it was possums. Told them no but they had stopped listening (which sadly seemed to be the trend).

Other issues: No towels on day five, (discovered at shower time the following morning! Bed linen not changed, room not dusted during our stay, hit and miss vacuuming, block out blind, no height adjustment (all the way up or down), screen door had to be "man handled" to open it.

For an accommodation tab of almost $1000 one would expect better!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MistaCookie
Hayles1984, General Manager at Berri Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay this time as much as previous. I have spoken with maintenance with a view to have the Cocos Palms trimmed or look into the possums, unfortunately we do have problems with possums very occassionally in the ceilings, one of the few downfalls of the living in the country ! I have passed your concerns onto the Front Office Manager also for further training on staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have stayed at resort for last 3 years for a water ski race later October each year and getting accomodation in town at a premium. Each year I have rolled the rooms over to next year. This year we decided not to go, luckily as the SKI club had not booked the date and hence the resort not a sponsor and no rooms available. When I emailled to get deposit back on my room I was told no funds taken and therefor nothing to return. To cut the stry short I got cranky more emails etc but I would have to say the lady rang me and was totally polite explained where I was wrong and displayed excellent customer service for her employer.
The Resort. With it full of water ski racers plus others it gets busy and noisy but we had no trouble sleeping. The resturant was easy to book and meals were of a very good standard with plenty of variety same as the breakfasts. With a couple of bars it was easy to enjoy others company or find a quiet spot with glass of wine. When ever I am in the Berri area I will be staying there.
The venue. Located on banks of the murray, frankly you would not want to be anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay in resort not hotel as quieter if busy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve S
Hayles1984, General Manager at Berri Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the feedback, we too were disappointed that the organisers of the ski event changed the dates without notification, hopefully next year they will revert to the last weekend in October and I would be more than happy to sponsor again. Thank you for the positive feedback on the staff and our facilities, when you next return please make yourself known to reception and I would be pleased to meet you in person and buy you a drink !
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had to be in Berri for work,late arrival Sunday early start Monday.Arrived just after 8pm,checked in etc.Wanted something to eat but the restaurant was closed, no option for room service. Found a local pizza shop which was average,went back to the hotel for a beer but the bar closed at 9pm.The option was to have a beer in the pokie room with no seating and the noise of forty slot machines.Breakfast was just as bad.Needing to be on site by 6.45am there was no chance to have breakfast (served between 7am and 9am) with no provision of a basic continental brekky.At $150 per night just for the room not good value.Room was okay but didn't need two queen size beds.Could have done with a table and chairs in place of the second bed.Lots of little issues that need to be fixed,window blinds not working properly,blown light globes needing replaced,better choice of in room tea and coffee and reception staff able to use the computer booking system (not the lovely lady who checked us in).Had a meal on the Monday night in the Restaurant,no better than pub standard,my side serve of cooked vegies were almost raw.Had to grab cutlery from a neighbouring table as none was provided.I've got to go back to the area next year and i'll be looking for an alternative.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Stewart, thank you for the feedback, I understand Chelsea from Management has already contacted you in person to discuss and you have indicated you will return on your next trip. If you are going to be late or requiring early breakfast we are more than happy to accommodate,please adsvise when you make your booking. I have passed your feedback onto the Head Chef.
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room for three days over the phone and was required to pay for half when I booked. That was fine, however when I arrived and went to pay the rest I was charged $100 surety on top. This was an unexpected surprise!
Continental breakfast was about $15 and cooked was $17. One morning I opted for the cooked breakfast, but this was a dissapointment. Staff were unable to keep up with demand and for half hour that I was there the baine marie was empty or as soon as it was topped up it was pounced upon by many hungry guests which had all been waiting for the food they'd paid for and not recieved.
For evening meal in the dinning room I ordered a $28 meal and was surprised to be charged $33, I was charged $5 for salad for Gods sake.
The hi speed Internet was so slow I had to switch my iPad back to cell data!
NOT GOOD!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hayles1984, General Manager at Berri Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, please be advised that all cash payments for accommodation require a deposit and a surety upon arrival, this is a standard policy across the vast majority of Hotels. A full salad is advertised and priced accordingly on the Bistro menu. I have followed up with staff re: breakfast buffet, please accept our apologies but the 8 Ball weekend is extremely busy as you would be aware, we will endeavour to ensure there is no repeat in future years.
Whyalla, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed at the Berri resort Hotel because it is really the only place to stay in Berri, the rooms are OK the breakfast was of a good standard and the dinner was average. The service was good though and the staff are very friendly but lack training. The proximity to the Murray River is excellent, great for a morning walk. I have also stayed in the cabins in the caravan park which give you more room and are comforable but they don't service them. Had no breakfast facilities and you have to clean the room yourself. Going next door to the Berri Resort Hotel for breakfast is OK.

Room Tip: if you have to stay there ask for the front room to view the river, nice but can get noisy with the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I booked an executive suite. What we got was an old large motel room. There was a small area between the bed and the bench containing the fridge, which I suppose was the "suite" section however is was too small for two people to be in at one time. There was a window which looked directly on to the next row of rooms hence for privacy you needed to keep the curtains closed! The bathroom was very tiny not executive level. My husband and I do not mind paying however we do require value for money. The whole room was should have been rated as a standard room and charged accordingly not $AUD 145.00' not including breakfast. We stayed the next night in the Barossa in a another room called executive for $110.00 and it was fantastic, maybe it's the luck of the draw but we were really disappointed in Berri Resort Hotel.

Further there was a group booking of teenagers and parents, which should not been a problem. However when the noise is so loud you can't hear the television it's time the Hotel had a word, which the didn't. The noise If it was adults would not be tolerated however they did nothing, this spoilt our night as it went on well after 10.30pm. It showed that the staff did not care about the welfare of it's guests. Such a shame considering the location is so lovely.

The restaurant, where we had dinner and breakfast was great. The dinner menu was not extensive but it was varied, the food was great. We had steaks which were cooked to how we requested and delivered hot at the same time, fantastic.

The pool area for a family is compact making it easy to be with the children. You can sit watch the kids and look over the road at the magnificent Murray River.

Next time we would avoid Berri Resort and book at the in Remark resort Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the square footage of the room, similar to what is available when you book overseas. Ask where t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oumie
Renmark, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Just had lunch in the new upstairs cafe/dining area.
Finally they have relegated the poky players to the ground floor(the view was wasted on them anyway!!)
The new carpet and furnishings are tasteful and comfortable.
The views of the river are of course spectacular and the food was good value.
Maybe they could either turn the music off (loud local radio station) or get a better source.
All in all though the imrovements are impressive and the staff very helpul
We will eat there again - soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berri
Renmark Hotel
#1 of 5 in Renmark
Loxton Hotel
Loxton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Loxton

Been to Berri Hotel? Share your experiences!